Clayton Stagg

When Flowers Bloom

8 posts in this topic

He quietly stood among the tables as he stared at the flower in front of him. "Mucro fateor." He whispered as he slowly slid his wand along the edge of a flower petal. When Clayton finished, he gently plucked the petal from the plant and tucked it away in his pocket.

He was getting much better at the spell lately.

Hazel was horrified. Ultimately, utterly horrified.

"What are you doing?!" She asked picking up the flower off of the table delicately and looking over at the Slytherin boy with a scowl, "They don't deserve it!"

Flowers were living. They may not be able to experience pain, but their beauty deserved to be preserved. She wouldn't let anyone cause harm to something she cared for so dearly.

He had thought he was alone, when the girl ran over grabbing hold of the flower and yanking it away from him Clayton paused. "Darling," He cooed in her direction. "I would never bring harm to a flower. I am grooming it. Sometimes you need to remove some of the dead limbs so healthy ones can grow in their stead." He spoke softly, comforting the girl since she seemed so traumatized by his actions. Of course he needed to correct it.

Hazel looked over the flower, her eyes searching the flowers petals. It seemed quite alright. However, his logic seemed awfully flawed.

"Pruning plants permits them from blossoming more flourishingly in the winter," she replied a slightly defensive tone overtaking her as she cradled the small flower, "As for freshly cut plants, it's better to start with the stem rather than the petals. Exposing new tissue can ensure more water intake."

Hazel turned to grab a pair of shears, "Doing it with magic seems so inhumane. Like you are detaching yourself from what you are doing..."

"My, you certainly have a vast knowledge of plants, love. I couldn't be more impressed." Clayton gently reached out, softly adjusting a bit of Hazel's hair. He gushed over the girl's hair as though he were a mother hen. "Sorry, darling. Your part was slightly uneven. All better now." He promised as he turned back to look at his flower.

"Would you hand me a pair of shears as well? I would be honoured to learn the proper way to care for this flower." This wasn't how he envisioned his evening ending. With Atticus piling on the work Clayton really needed to work on his independent studies. His facial expression remained gentle, calmly locking his eyes onto Hazel's face as though he was trying to memorize her every detail.

Hazel was flustered. Boys weren't usually so touchy were they? Sure, Simon had held her hand, but no boy she had met had ever fussed over her hair like a mother hen. She watched with wide eyes as the Slytherin fiddled with her long locks before retreating back into herself. Her attention was needed elsewhere.

"Why thank you....?" Hazel suddenly realized that in her rush to save the flower, she had completely dismissed making an introduction, "Oh, I'm sorry! I don't know your name!"

She put down her shears in order to hold out her hand, "I'm Hazel. It's nice to meet you."

With a soft smile, she passed over a pair of shears to the older boy, "I'd be glad to show you what I know. I've been gardening since I could dig up dirt."

"Hazel Wheeler," He used her full name since she hadn't given her surname quite yet. Clayton would never leave the girl feeling as though he didn't pay special attention to her, especially since they had yet to formally introduce themselves. "I know who you are." Clayton said softly to the girl. "A young lady as radiant as you would never be able to slip underneath my attention."

It might have sounded dark, as though he went out of his way to gather information on this girl before their encounter within the greenhouse.

"I'm Clayton Stagg. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, darling." He reached out and wrapped his cold fingers around the pair of shears Hazel held out for him. "Why what an interesting hobby. What made you fall in love with nature?" Clayton asked as he prepared to follow along with the girl's guidance.

Hazel looked away from him, his eyes were intense and dug into her. Like he was trying to dig up something from her soul. A shudder ran down her spine as she felt his hand slide into hers. How had she missed his presence?

"I'm not radiant..." Hazel's voice was soft in the empty room, the soft drip of the magic watering can distracted her from the embarrassment she felt, "I'm quite a simple girl."

She couldn't help but be reminded how awful she was at taking compliments. If only she could see what others would say. Would she be as confident as Behati? Would she reach for Simon's hand whenever she wanted to?

Hazel cleared her throat, and returned her attention back to the flower on the table, "Clayton. It is just as lovely to meet you. I've been in love with plants ever since my grandmother taught me to look for beauty amongst the plants. I mean look at this one."

The tiny asphodel flower looked barely a few days old, and Hazel's heart broke that it had been cut from its root.

"It's simple. The beauty of the asphodel is so twisted for it is used in the Draught of Living Death. As if its beauty could kill," she picked up the flower in order to show him, "The looks of something can easily distract from its intent."

Her eyes flickered up to Clayton, and she smiled at him.