Clayton Stagg

How to Destroy a Child's Sense of Wonder, By Clayton Stagg

8 posts in this topic

Clayton sighed as he finished packing his bag and began to make his way for the library. It had been a rough week and he couldn't be more exhausted. The last thing on his list of productive things he had to do for the day was stop by the library and work on his independent studies. Then he could finally justify going to sleep and re-starting tomorrow. He turned into the library as he held onto his bag's strap.

Somehow, someway, she'd lost the magazine she'd been reading previously in the dueling chamber. Bee was sure the thing was right where she'd left it, laying on the cold stone floor of the chamber, but when she had returned to search for it it was gone, disappeared without a trace. The great thing about going to a magical school, however, was that there were boundless copies of magazines for her reading pleasure. So, she'd found her way up to the fourth floor and through the large doors of the library to find another copy of a magazine that had somehow managed to grow legs and walk off.

A Quidditch magazine, it was. The images on the page jostled and turned, performing fantastical tricks both in the air and on the ground. She was enamored.

A scowl.

That girl had the same magazine he had confiscated from her. No. This wouldn't do. Not at all. Clayton made his way towards the first year and quickly forced a gentle smile on his face. "Why hello, Behati. Pleasure seeing you here." He glanced at the magazine in her hands. "Reading up on flying again? Shouldn't you be out practicing instead? If you speak to anyone of the Quidditch captains or flying assistants I'm sure they'll gladly let you borrow a real broom."

The goth bloke from one of her duels showed up, and Behati's eyes went wide. She'd be lying if she said he didn't make her nervous—both with his general aura and his dark-and-mysterious good looks. "Oh, hello Clayton," she spoke to him, clutching her magazine in her small hands. She refused to put this one down out of fear that it, just like its predecessor, would sprout legs and wander off. "I've gotten lots of flying practice—both from lessons and Quidditch tryouts. But since the Quid match will be starting soon, I wanted to read up on some players. Just to see if I can get some inspiration on how to kick some bum."

A smile.

"What're you doing here? I mean... besides getting a book, perhaps."

"Ah. I see." Clayton's attention landed on the magazine in her hands. "Which player are you trying to read about? I know some good books that can help perfect your Quidditch and flying skills." As long as he got that magazine out her possession.

"I'm simply here for schoolwork, of course." He certainly didn't spend him here for enjoyment. Clayton wasn't the type to enjoyed curling up in bed with a good book and reading the day away. He was more of a productive member of society who felt as though he was wasting his time if he wasn't actively doing something to further his future.

"Come this way, the flying books are going to be in the sports section." Clayton said, politely gesturing in the direction he wanted her to walk.

"Oh, I don't really know much about Quidditch players, so I can't really say that I have a favorite one that I'm specifically reading about." Bee looked closer at her magazine, however, eyeing the book to see if she could get a proper understanding of the name flashing across the page, accompanied by an image of a whizzing player with a rather nasty scowl. A bludger ran across the page, and she hurriedly shut the page out of fear that the thing would somehow leave its paper cage and hit her in the face. "Schoolwork is always good. Gotta keep your grades up." Behati knew all about the importance of keeping on top of schoolwork, seeing as how she did every extra credit assignment that her professors assigned and did every homework down to the last question.

She was, in every sense of the word, a nerd.

"Oh! That's wonderful! I could use more theoretical stuff to improve my flying. I still remember the tip you gave me during our duel, by the way," she informed Clayton, walking in the direction the Slytherin lad had gestured. "You know a lot about flying: which book do you think I should get? I want something that'll teach me how to fly faster."

His ears twitched, quite literally, when the girl was digging around in the magazine. Stop looking, Behati. Clayton tried not to snatch the magazine from his hands then and there. "I see. Well certainly you'll learn about Quidditch players in no time. One of my dorm mate keeps a poster the size of our windows in the dorm room with his favourite player waving away at us all day long." Not that they had windows in there. Well... Not out into the sky, at least. Clayton only ever looked out into the murky waters.

"Tch..." His expression flattened when the girl explained she had a need for speed. "Books cannot help you with speed." Clayton blurted out before he could even take the time to think about what a brilliant distraction the topic would be for the first year. He stopped, glancing down the row of books all about the fundamentals of flying, Quidditch, and all types of wizarding sports on brooms. "Sorry, dear. I don't mean to be so negative..." He fingered through a few books before glancing at the brunette.

"Is there anything else you would like to learn?" If she said no, Clayton supposed they'd be better off if he wrote down a list of exercises she could do that would specifically help her with her speed. He still had a box of burning ribbons with him. He'd be able to give Behati plenty to hold her off until he could have more shipped to him. He'd just have to find a quality flying shop that sold them in the area. Hogsmeade must have some.

Bee was sure that once she got more into Quidditch she'd become infatuated with posters and other memorabilia. But, for the time being, she'd restrain herself, out of the simple fact that she did not want to look foolish in front of Clayton. "Yeah, I know that actually practicing tricks and whatnot will help me with speed, but books can show me which moves I should focus on for my height and weight so that I'll be able to shave off some time on my flying."

She pointed to a book that had caught her eye and looked at Clayton. "I want to read that one. Current Quidditch Flyers of the Ages. I figure something more up-to-date will do better for me than something older." Behati twisted her mouth to the side and contemplated if there was much else she wanted to learn. "Um... I don't suppose you can teach me about offensive spells, yeah? I want to know more spells that our lessons are currently teaching us first years."

It was said as a joke (barely), but she wouldn't be opposed if Clayton agreed...