Addison Toft

In the sunshine, where you are

6 posts in this topic

Back-dated to the train ride at the beginning of VH36

By and large, the prefect meeting on the train was a perfunctory affair; Mercutio and Eleanor were more level-headed and even-keeled than Kelly, so most of the meeting was spent chatting about introductions, general goals for the team, and explaining tasks and routines to the new recruits. Addison stayed quiet through most of it, chipping in only when prompted; she did her best to keep her eyes from returning over and over to Silas, wondering what he was thinking when he saw her enter the compartment late.

When the meeting ended, she fidgeted in her seat, unsure of whether or not to approach him. Most of the others were already up on their feet and heading back out to begin their patrols, or meet up with friends, but indecision anchored to the chair. What if he didn't want to talk? He probably wanted to hang out with Tobias or Irene, no longer caring what she chose to do... but he had her wand (assuming he didn't toss it in the bin), and she needed it back.

She spotted him rise and make his way to the door, and that jolted her into action. Without over-thinking it anymore, Addison jumped up and caught him by the arm, tugging him gently to turn to face her. "Silas, hey. Can we talk?"

Silas attended the meeting robotically; his body was present, but his attention certainly wasn't. 

He supposed both the new Head students were more responsible than the previous two, although he did not share any particular fondness for either one of them, especially after the tournament of champions finale at the end of his fifth year. Silas, however, did not challenge authority, so he nodded mutely whenever it seemed like he was supposed to and, at intervals, glanced at Addison and thought about Irene.

She had returned, after all, he thought, with no small measure of relief. But it also caused that sickening flicker of guilt in his stomach. He would have to apologize to her for what had happened. If she'd left Hogwarts he would never have had to face the truth... but those were selfish thoughts, which he was somewhat startled to notice came up unbidden more and more often these days, and he wasn't sure if it was a result of his rushed studies of Legilimency, which turned his mind into a blender, or if it was a lingering side effect from the third task bug venom that had turned him into something unrecognizable.

When the meeting ended, Silas slowly stood up from his seat, careful not to bash his head on the overhead cargo shelf. He had gotten taller, perhaps too tall for the train. He glanced at Addison's feet out of his peripheral vision; she wasn't moving, so he made his way to the door, and suddenly, her hand was on his arm.

He turned and smiled, if she had embraced him he would have returned the gesture, but because she seemed antsy and unsure, he tried to provide something normal, a safe space. "You came back," he said, stating the obvious. "Why?"

Seeing the smile on his face flooded her with relief, and with a happy glow in her chest. Even though he'd been treated after the third task, a part of her still hadn't been able to shake the worry that some of that darkness would linger. But seeing his easy, relaxed grin, she knew he was okay. The Silas she was looking at now was the Silas she'd come to know - and yet, that fact in itself unsettled her. There were no questions, no furrowed lines in his brow, despite her last communique telling him she wasn't going to come back to Hogwarts.

No, there was no displeasure or confusion in his expression. There was something else, something she couldn't identify, what with her being her typically bad-at-reading-people self. But she could at least tell he wasn't unhappy with her being there, unless he'd somehow gotten better at being unreadable.

Addison snapped her hand back, her fingers cringing away from the feel of his arm. "I... um, yes. I came back. Not for you though," she said, her haughty tone failing to completely cover the bashful tinge in her voice. Addison cleared her throat, and averted her eyes. "I mean, I read your letter, and it was nice." Nice? She kicked herself mentally. "Not 'nice', but you know what I mean. I... I appreciated it. Thank you." Was he always this tall? It felt like he was looming over her, a giant peering down through the clouds. "I talked about things with Celeste - my mum, and I changed my mind because... because... you know. 'S'alright around here."

She sniffed proudly, and looked out a window - but gradually, her gaze slid back to Silas. 

"And I figured if you became a murderer, it'd ruin your chances of becoming minister for magic one day. You can thank me when you get your new office."

"I came back. Not for you though,"

"That's good," he said agreeably, neither condemning or condoning it, really, simply acknowledging her statement's presence in a neutral way, as though he was talking about the train ride. She went on to admit that perhaps his letter had talked some sense into her... or at least, gotten her to think twice about her decision, which she seemed so sure of in her first correspondence. Silas nodded when she mentioned that she'd talked to her foster--no, adoptive--no, just--mother--about things, and he was happy for this.

He and Della had gone to a holiday dinner at the Wards' house and both he and his mother had found Celeste and Daniel to be amiable, but more importantly, intelligent people. Silas was satisfied. Celeste wouldn't allow Addison to make decisions that were harmful to her future or her development as a person.

"And I figured if you became a murderer, it'd ruin your chances of becoming minister for magic one day. You can thank me when you get your new office."

The Ravenclaw laughed appreciatively, but inside he was shaking his head. Minister for Magic! Imagine. That was much too visible of a position for someone like Silas, who preferred to work privately, who could only read a person (now literally) if they were one-on-one, and did not at all prefer answering to crowds or groups of people, and did not greatly concern himself with public opinion.

"Remind me to send a fruit basket," he said instead, and then raised a finger in realization. "Ah, you're here for your wand, aren't you?" he'd splintered the box that it came in, by hurling it against a wall, and since he wasn't sure that Addison would return, he hadn't fixed it. But he was sure it could be mended. But first...

"I wish I'd known you were coming back," he said, feigning distress. "I thought you weren't going to need it again.."

She grimaced. "Fruit? Gross. Send me one of those baskets with cookies and chocolate instead, would you? I've heard there are even baskets with cheese and meats."

A basket with her wand in it would be swell, too. She already had her hands extended forth, cupped to receive the comforting touch of crooked, pale yew. Unfortunately, what she received was not her wand, but instead a cryptic admission that he might not have brought it. Or worse. The grimace turned into a genuine expression of dismay. Addison blanched, and stammered, "W-wait, are you being serious? I... but I need... wait!" 

She spun around and pressed herself against a window - Platform 93/4 was long, long gone, and there was no way she was going to get her wand back (assuming he hadn't destroyed it). Her cheek was squished up on the pane, and it squealed noisily as she slumped downwards. No wand. No wand meant no magic. No magic meant this whole decision to come back to Hogwarts was a waste because she was going to get kicked out for failing every class. Would Ollivanders' let her buy a new wand, or was it a 'one time only' deal? Because even if Silas hadn't destroyed it, the fact that he didn't have it now meant that it'd been left in the care of Della Harding-Clarke, the woman who reviled Addison's guts. Della had probably tossed it into a fireplace by now.

Glumly, she turned back to Silas. 

"I guess I deserved that."

Post 5,300 ♥ ♥ ♥

Edited by Addison Toft

He actually felt bad when her face crumpled and she rushed to the window to see if it might be okay to barrel roll out of the compartment and onto the platform, but they were long since departed from the station. He shook his head as she asked if he was serious, then turned around and looked back at him, crestfallen.

"I guess I deserved that."

"I'm just kidding," he said, jostling her with his elbow. "Not only would I never throw away someone else's possessions, but wands are expensive and one of a kind. That would be like throwing away a gold bar," he said companionably, opening the compartment door and gesturing for her to walk through it. "You should know me better by now." He had already stowed his things in another compartment before heading to the prefect meeting, and he led her there now.

"I wasn't even sure if I should bring it to school, since, you know, what am I going to do with it," he went on. "I guess maybe I thought I could try to use it as a back-up if something disastrous happened to my own wand, or..." he had thought about doing some reading about how to locate people using their possessions, but that was very close to Divination and he hadn't taken it for a reason--being that he thought it was nonsense.

They stopped in front of a door, which Silas pulled open. There were other bags strewn about, but the compartment was currently empty, its inhabitants gone to visit friends or chase the snack cart. "Hang on, I'll get it."