Professor Qin

Qin's Expedition: Deep Into the Mangroves

66 posts in this topic

Siobhan Arden ~ Prompt Three

React to prompt for HODAG ✓

2/4 Words Used (Shadow, print) ✓

 

She shied when @Kacie Weaver asked who was leading the small group that had congregated, and Shiver immediately shook her head. “Definitely not me. I’m not a good leader.” Shiver probably would be afraid of her own shadow if she wasn’t expecting to see it.

 

“Find the tracks,” Shiver murmured, repeating Professor Qin’s answer to herself under her breath. “Footprints… leftover… bones?” She frowned at this. She understood that animals eating other animals was all part of nature, but that didn’t mean she liked it. Regardless, Shiver supposed there was no going back now, and she would just hope that the animal her small group ended up tracking was one that wasn’t carnivorous.

 

No such luck. As her group approached walked through the trees, there were clearly bones left behind. Shiver blanched at these, but brightened when she caught sight of the prints. “Oh! It looks like whatever we’re following has claws,” Shiver observed to her group at large. “Should we… just keep going?” Shiver asked uncertainly. She didn’t want to walk upon something that might harm them, but… it couldn’t be too harmful, right?

 

Ooc: @Addison Toft Just wanted to say I've now only used 5 words total (I didn't use any of the words in my second post and only used 2 this time). <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siobhan Arden ~ Prompt Four

React to prompt for HODAG ✓

3/5 Words Used (move, sound, limb) ✓

Ask a Question ✓

 

Shiver still had her mirror open, but she was hardly paying attention to it until Addison said something into it. She certainly wasn’t sure of where they were going, but Shiver was reluctant to ask for help when she was so curious to see what creature they would be learning about. Thus, it was with trepidation that she moved forward slowly, towards a watery marsh… but that was when she stepped in something that made a distinctly mushy sound. She looked down and made a face at the smelly pile of droppings her boot had stepped into.

 

Man, if Delia was here, her roommate would’ve totally freaked.

 

“Uhhh… these definitely seem fresh,” Shiver announced to her group, looking around and jumping as she thought she heard a limb crack in the foliage nearby. That was when one of her peers stepped on something that cracked, and Shiver jumped at the croaking bark that sounded out.

 

“Guys? Guys? Did you hear that? Uh, @Addison Toft? Or… @Professor Qin? Is there such thing as a dog-toad?” What? It was a valid question, right? Was this where they should use their meat now? Would it even still be hungry with all these bones strewn about already…?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

V L A D I M I R  V A L E N T I N VII

Prompt IV [ Observation | 5 Words ]
                                                 

 

Vladimir kept still for a moment, refusing to move a single limb until he heard his fellow group members agree that sticking close together was indeed the best choice of action. His attention quickly turned to Addison when the Gryffindor mentioned that it was time to ingest the potion that each of them had in their possession. Reaching into the pack, the boy withdrew the vial, downing the contents and watching as his arms, torso, and legs soon disappeared into nothing, along with the rest of his companions.

 

At any rate, remaining invisible would at least provide some modicum of defence should danger arise. It could not hide their scent, of course, but to impede the visual acuity of the creature that had shed such an enormous skin.

 

The sound of Vladimir's breathing was all he could hear for a moment, before he could hear the rustling and movement of the others, the echo of footsteps on the ground, the movement of clothing. With their sight technically gone as well, Vladimir knew he would need to make sure he honed his other senses as well; he needed to be ready to move to action, to defend himself and the others if need be. The sight of the large shadow within the body of water did not leave anything to the imagination.

 

The creature was enormous.

 

Glancing around, he could not spot a nest nearby, although perhaps that was for the best. The last thing the group needed to do was inadvertently anger the creature by disturbing the nest and any potential young. Hearing his cousin's voice addressed in what he assumed was his direction, considering he could not see her, the boy was silent a moment before speaking to Ekaterina. "It is difficult to tell with the distortion of the water," Vladimir replied quietly, "But it is within the realm of possibility. I would think it could use the power of hypnosis, as some serpents are known to utilize."


Edited by Vladimir Valentin
typo (y)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Addison Toft

Prompt 4

5/5 words

 

Her mirror crackled to life, and the sound of Fiona's voice came through. "Nothing big here, except for a giant snakeskin that shocks you if you touch it," Addison grumbled in reply. And now that she was thinking about it, she realised she should probably stop by the hospital wing (or consult with professor Qin) after the expedition was done, to make sure there weren't any other hidden effects she'd suffered from touching the discarded husk that had somehow defended itself from appropriation.

 

Downing the potion, she blinked and held her hands up in front of her, marvelling as they began to disappear, as if being coated in a clear paint that traveled from her chest, down her limbs, and out to her fingertips and toes.

 

"A dog-toad?" she whispered in response to @Siobhan Arden. "@Professor Qin, is that that thing? That... toadog, something like that?"

 

But if professor Qin answered, Addison wasn't paying attention, because @Ekaterina Valentin spotted something moving, and @Vladimir Valentin was bringing up how it was potentially hypnotising them - she immediately averted her gaze. "We should be careful... if it notises us, it might attack, in case it thinks we're threatening its nest or something."


Edited by Addison Toft
bolding a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fiona Weaver: In order to make sure she caught all the action, both good and bad, Meryl had several multi-way mirrors placed around her. While it was quite a comical sight, it was clearly necessary. Narrowing her eyes at the creature within her mirror, Meryl replied, “That creature is a Snallygaster, a reptilian creature related to the Occamy. Its defensive power is quite impressive and I would recommend staying some distance away.”

 

@Seeley Pichardo “Yes and…no, unless one of you becomes a bother. But even then they’ll warn you of your misdeed by pointing their tritons at you first. So best watch out for those.”

 

@Siobhan Arden: A…dog-toad? Merlin, the names her students bestow upon creatures were simply ridiculous. First it was horseybird and now, dog-toad. Rifling through her lexicon of magical creatures, Meryl finally came to the likely answer to the fourth year’s question. “That is…most likely a Hodag. I would recommend scattering the pieces of meat around in a semi-circular fashion for an even spread. Since it doesn’t have a taste for human flesh, I wouldn’t be extremely worried.”     


(Addison will be in charge of the next prompt as well <3 She will be posting tomorrow.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

prompt 4

 

Okay, so maybe using the Sparkler Spell under water wasn't the best idea, but it was something. Luckily, @Seeley Pichardo was having none of Fern's ridiculous far-fetched suggestions at the moment and used her mirror to ask Qin about the best way to approach it. The Ravenclaw listened to their Professor's words as she pulled off her socks and shoes, getting ready to emerge into the water in a few moments. She grabbed the elastic off of her wrist, tied her long hair back in a ponytail, and seized the opportunity to blow the horn that Seeley was holding, the shrill sound echoing throughout the area.

 

And then she instantly pulled the gillyweed out of her pocket and shoved it in her mouth, chewing viciously on the slimy, rubbery plant as she started to move forward and into the lake, the cold water engulfing her limbs. Fern forced herself to swallow, and she felt a sharp pain in her neck and looked down to see her hands transform, then quickly waded until she was about waist deep and pulled her wand out of her pocket and held it firmly, then dove in.

 

It was murky down here, in the shallow water, but the third year glanced around to make sure that the other members of her group was nearby. As excited as she was, she had to remember to be cautious, and figured they'd find safety in numbers. It was a bit awkward, swimming while trying to hold her wand in a now-webbed hand, but she kept it out in case she needing to defend herself, or her friends. However, the temperature was no longer unpleasant and it was getting easier to see. Her heart was racing, and all Fern could do was swim deeper into the depths of the lake and hope the Selkies showed up shortly, and without their trident pointed at them.

 

 

4/5 words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

sample collection

 

PROMPT 5 

  • Required: React to the respective prompts for your creature below
  • Optional: Use these words in your RP for more HP: Diet, contain, touch, extract, calm
  • Optional: @ me/Professor Qin a question via the multi-way mirror

HORNED SERPENT

You watch as the creature swims further down, leaving the scene of carnage. Here's your chance to take back something - what do you find? A chipped piece of horn? Perhaps a tooth?

 

SNALLYGASTER

The baby Snallygaster investigates the group with keen interest but shies away from any attempts to touch it. Professor Qin advises @Fiona Weaver to take out the jar of lizards from your expedition packet and feed the baby. The baby gobbles up the treat with relish and squeaks! @Clayton Stagg tries to touch the baby but stops when a loud roar is heard.

 

MANGROVE SELKIES

After much swimming, you realise the effects of the gillyweed is about to wear off. The Selkies bring you to an underwater treasure chest filled with shiny things and ask you to take something back as a souvenir. What do you pick? (The items are mostly shiny things selkies use in their day to day lives.)

 

HODAG

As the hodags are busy fighting over and eating the meat offering you've laid out, what sort of behavioral patterns can you pick up on? Is it males or females who are doing the fighting, and is there any semblance of a pecking order between them? @Kacie Weaver (claimable by one student) holds out a small piece of meat and is approached by a young hodag, who sniffs at it curiously before gnawing away at the food. If any of you are so inclined, you could venture into the long grass and thick tree roots to gather any horns or claws the hodags may have shed over time - but be quick about it! 

 

X (claimable by one student) bravely ventures into the overgrowth to collect horns and claws, but comes face to face with a growling, adult hodag! Best to back away slowly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they did need help, but then again Sophia knew what it was. She was someone that knew a lot about magical creatures. More than Ethan. He was better at potions than anything else. That didn’t mean, he wouldn’t want to find out what a creature was on his own. He wasn’t going to argue anything, he knew that he needed to contain himself and keep an eye on the creature.

 

Watching as the baby starts to investigates them. He was standing there, not moving. Being as calm as possible, he wanted to touch the creature, but knowing that the mum was nearby he didn’t want to try to do anything.

 

He wonder what kind of diet they ate. “Sophia, do you know what snallygasters like to eat?” Not paying attention to what Fiona was feeding them, he was looking at Sophia and then back at the mum, he might have been a little scared. That creature was huge and he was trying to take notes. With all the movements that the baby was doing.

 

But there was a loud roar that made him jump. He wasn’t expecting that at all.

 

words use 4/5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fiona Weaver

Responding to: Prompt 5

   ✓ Respond to prompt

   ✓  Use words (5/5)

    X  Ask a question

 

Snake skin? Fiona shivered a little at Addison’s answer, but calmly wished that group luck and turned back to the issue of the baby creature prancing about her feet. Professor Qin’s information made Fiona feel a lot better—she knew that she had taken the safest course, and the safety of her group was the most important thing.

 

“There’s still plenty to learn,” offered Fiona, as the skittish young snallygaster wavered between investigating them and keeping its distance. “If it’s part reptile, I wonder if it’s warm or cold-blooded. Maybe that’s why it’s sleeping on those sunny rocks, to warm itself. Kind of like a snake, or a...” Fiona trailed off as Professor Qin issued instructions through the mirror. Speaking of lizards...

 

“Yes ma’am, I’ll try.”

 

“You know, I wondered why there was a jar of lizards in here,” Fiona admitted to the group at large as she extracted the container from her pack. The girl had been a vegetarian for years, but creatures naturally got a pass where diet was concerned. Plus it helped that the lizards were already dead. Just like giving Sableplume a ferret, Fiona told herself, then wondered idly who would win in a fight between Sableplume and a Snallygaster.

 

She wiggled a lizard in the air to catch the baby’s attention, but the baby was still unsure whether to approach. Fiona tossed the lizard onto the ground a few inches in front of it, then smiled as it gobbled the treat and squeaked for more. Fio tossed each lizard closer and closer to herself, luring the baby towards the group so they could observe it more closely. Between the mirror and the lizards, Fiona’s hands were full, so hopefully someone was taking notes. Maybe when she had a free hand she could get her camera out.

 

The baby was close enough to reach out and touch, and Fiona was immediately on edge as she saw one of her groupmates attempt just that.

 

“We shouldn’t--!” But Fiona only got that far before she heard a roar. The Hufflepuff dropped her mirror and had her wand out in an instant. Options cascaded through Fiona’s head in a deluge. Periculum, agility, ebublio, confunding charm...call for help, flee, defend, impair but don’t hurt the creature.

 

Fiona's dropped mirror landed face-up on the ground, momentarily drawing the baby's curiosity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zara Anguariz

Prompt 3 - Reaction

 

Here group consisted of know-it-alls. Zara decided to let everyone else take the lead. She was starting to wonder what the point was in doing this when there was better things to do like duel or take a nap. Going on a dangerous adventure was more of a thing for Gryffindors. Surprisingly, her group consisted of nobody from that house.

 

There was a set of footprints in front of them. Zara rolled her eyes at Ethans suggestion of copying them into their books. Taking pencils, she copied it down onto her piece of parchment that she had put into her book. The Slytherin was at least smart enough to use a muggle writing device that her father had given to her.

 

The set of footprints looked like a type of bird or reptile. Zara couldn't tell which one. There were feathers scattered all over the place. From the looks of it, she guessed that they might be dealing with a type of bird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zara Anguariz

Prompt 4 - Reaction

Words: 5/5

 

Zara decided to pick up one of the feathers. To her surprise, it felt rather rough instead of smooth unlike the feathers she had touched on other creatures. They continued to follow the set of footprints in front of them. All of a sudden she heard a sound. Ethan ran ahead of them. She thought it was stupid of him to move fast since they happened to be surrounded by dangerous creatures.

 

Lagging behind the group, she took out her wand just in case she had to defend herself. The Slytherin moved her limbs slowly until she came to a large clearing. Right in front of her, there seemed to be a strange looking creature. At least it appeared to be one. Zara took out her binoculars in order to get a closer look at the creature.

 

The first thing she noticed was that there was a sleeping creature in its nest. When Sophia mentioned that it might be a snallygaster, all Zara could do was nod her head and agree with her.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

V L A D I M I R  V A L E N T I N VII

Prompt V [ Collection | 5 Words ]
                                                 

 

Vladimir looked to Addison a moment, taking in her words before giving her a calm nod of assent. It would not do well to attempt to engage or attract the attention of the beast. After all, from what Vladimir could see, the carnage was done and the shape of the creature began to head deeper into the waters. If the darkened waters were any indication of its diet, it was perhaps quite a good thing that it was swimming down and away from them.

 

It would certainly not end well otherwise.

 

Extracting some piece of collective evidence however was going to be a cautious task. One would not want to disturb the waters too much lest they earn the creature's fixation, and possibly make cause for it to rear its voracious appetite. The Ravenclaw began to scan the banks nearest where the meal had taken place, and in the murky banks of the water, he spotted what looked to be... Hm. A tooth? It certainly seemed pointed enough, as well as something whole, to be one.

 

Not wanting to touch it directly with the skin of his hands, Vladimir took his cypress wand and muttered under his breath, "Accio tooth." After a moment of concentration, the object came towards him, and the boy used his bag to catch the specimen. It was perhaps not the best item meant to contain such a thing, but for now, his pack would do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

prompt 5

 

Breaking: Selkies looked nothing like Fern expected them to. Sure, she'd read of the creatures before, but not specifically about them- this was only her firs year of Care of Magical Creatures, after all. More like, she'd read about merpeople as a whole, and while they were human-like, it was yet another creature that was hardly similar in the slightest to how they were portrayed in muggle culture. They were slender, and definitely had the classic 'lower half of a fish, top of a human' shape.. except not human? Rough, almost scaley looking skin, large yellow eyes and a hair of sorts that wasn't quite hair, either. Or maybe it was just knotted, or their own type of hair. It was eerie, being so closer to a creature that was definitely about the size that she was. 

 

Just as Professor Qin had told them, the selkies responded to the horn and Fern could hardly contain her excitement as they were beckoned to follow them in the depths of the lake. It was calm down here, and the water was still except for their own movements as they propelled themselves deeper in the water and brushed some of the plants and weeds out their way. Certain areas were thick with an underwater grass of sorts, and Fern wondered if that was part of their diet? It looked like it had been harvested at some point in the recent past.

 

The time continued to pass and it seemed as if she had been swimming forever. No, really. They had been going for a long time, and the Ravenclaw found herself more grateful than ever for her previous experience with gillyweed, because she was certain that their time was beginning to run out. She'd need to head back up to the surface soon, and the thought of not accomplishing what they'd came here for put her in more of a panic than the idea of not making it out of the depths of the lake in time. 

 

And then there were in front a chest, and a selkie motioned to look inside. There were all sorts of treasures, all shiny (or rather, used to be shiny) and potentially useful in some way or another. Were they.. supposed to take one? What if there were repercussions? They'd probably outswim her. Maybe now she'd find out if sparks worked under water after all? Her mind racing and cycling through all of these thoughts, but a part of her knew to remain calm. She had to get out of here, and soon. Fern glanced at her group mates with with eyes, then kind of half-smiled and shrugged and grabbed what appeared to a very wide tooth comb for that very interesting.. hair of theirs. 

 

 

3/5 words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prompt 5

5/5 words |  204 WC

 

 

Plunging her hand into her pocket, Seeley followed along after Fern, shoving the gillyweed into her mouth and chomping down on the plant.  This was so not in her  diet.  Pulling the band off her wrist, Seeley wrapped her blond hair up into a ponytail just before the effects of the plant fully took on and then she dove into the water.  Having spent her whole life living by the sea, she felt calm wash over her the moment she was in the water.  

 

Swimming along with Fern, and Lena, they followed the Selkie wherever she was leading them, deeper underwater.  Seeley had never swum this deep before and she wondered what treasures waters this deep might contain.  Surely the creatures had something magnificent in their city; after all Qin wouldn't have sent them down here to collect something if there weren't anything worthwhile to extract.  

 

After it seemed like they had been swimming forever, the selkie seemed to stop near a chest and it was with good timing too because Seeley could feel like it was becoming harder to breath and she reached up to touch the sides of her neck.  With a slight urgency, she glanced @Selena Watkins .  They needed to go! 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prompt 4

5/5 words

aka a terrible post 

 

 

If he moved and made a sound, Kermit knew it could be potentially dangerous. He had learnt a long time ago about adapting to certain creatures and their habits. Thankfully, he was with three others, all of whom were brilliant. He had full faith that they would be able to complete this expedition without being torn limb from limb and able to tell the tale when they got back to Hogwarts.

 

Kermit downed the potion in one go.

 

“Good point. Especially if its a mamma creature they hate anyone going near their nest and will defend it..” He said quietly, as he moved forward, wondering what they were about to face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prompt 5

5/5 words

 

Kermit was a little torn. He had no desire to go against Addison and the others, but he was also longing to get closure. What good was seeing a creature in its natural environment if you were unable to go closure to it? Yes, Kermit needed to work on self-preservation at some point within the future. The creature headed deeper into the water. Not wanting to follow it into the dark waters, Kermit instead found himself looking around the area.

 

He wondered a little away from the others, not touching anything by hand. He tried to remain calm – the creature had left but who knew if there was another around – as he knelt down and spotted something that may be worthwhile to keep hold off. Using his wand, he poked at a small piece of horn. When nothing bad happened, he scooped it up, and looked around for the others once more whilst wondering how to contain it. 

 

The sixth year wondered how it had ended up there. Did the creature fight with something? Could it have been a fight over food? What kind of diet did it survive on? How did someone extract anything from the piece of chipped horn in the middle of their environment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now