Fletcher Barrow

You're the only focus in my lens

7 posts in this topic

Fletcher was testing out his new magical camera and decided he needed something interesting to photograph, because he already had a hundred pictures of nature. He spotted his Hufflepuff classmate and, feeling inspired, called her over. “Hey, Margie! Help me out?”

After three hours in the library, Margaret thought she needed to step outside of the castle for the first time that day and actually breathe fresh air that didn't smell like musty books. At about the three minute mark of her six-minute power stretch to reinvigorate her muscles and brain, a familiar voice called her over, causing her stomach to fill with dread. This stretching session was cutting into her personalized schedule - what if she couldn't fit in dueling in the next hour?

"Hi Fletcher. Ummmm... okay. Er - with what?" Margaret stared at his magical device. Did he want her to give him a rundown on the history of cameras? "I haven't read about those... yet."

Fletcher saw Margie looking at the camera and he grinned. “These? They’re wicked. But that’s not what I need help with. I know how to use it...er, mostly. Sort of.” He shrugged it off. “I’ll figure it out. Actually, I need a model. I already took about a hundred pictures of trees. They’re a bit boring now. Want to model?”

A MODEL?

As in one of those fancy pretty girls in magazines Margaret's mother never let her read? Or like a model dragon - as in, Fletcher just wanted her to be a model tree, because she was as boring as a tree and he thought she'd perfectly encapsulate everything a tree meant? Of course, trees were also a source of oxygen without which they could not love, so was Fletcher admitting he couldn't live without her? But they barely knew each other?? So was he just saying she was a background figure like a forgotten and dying winter tree?

Margaret tapped a finger on her chin thoughtfully. "Um... I guess... but - but do I - what do I have to do? I'm not very photogenic..." She put a hand on her hip and awkwardly looked out into the empty sky. Ah yes, the classic 'wistfully looking into the distance' pose. "Or - or this?" She put both hands on her hips and arched her back. "Do I just look like I'm going to vomit...?"

“Brilliant!” Fletcher grinned when Margie accepted his offer. Not photogenic? Psh. He waved the Hufflepuff’s concerns off with his hand. “Sure you are, you’re cute.”

Margie was already striking a couple poses and Fletcher brought his camera up to take a few shots. It wasn’t terrible, but it didn’t feel entirely genuine. Maybe he should have snapped a few pictures without saying anything first. “No, you don’t look like you’re gonna vomit. Just, I dunno, be cool. Be yourself.”

"Wha - what?" Margaret blushed, pulling her hair forward to cover her red ears. She couldn't remember the last person who'd called her 'cute', probably because the only person who'd ever called her 'cute' was her late grandfather. The Hufflepuff tried to decode his sentence, wondering whether he meant cute the way her grandfather did or cute the way she wanted to seem.

Whatever she was doing seemed to work well enough, though, and all Margaret wanted to do in the end was help Fletcher. She didn't know him very well but that actually played in his favour, as she tended to (secretly) dislike most people. "Be myself? Um... er..." She looked confused, which was actually pretty fitting. "If I'm myself I'm... I'm boring. I don't have any - I mean, I do have hobbies, but I don't have any exciting hobbies. I - do you?" Margaret raised her arms uncomfortably and tried to pose like a swan but instead looked like she was preparing for a hug from a large bear.  

“I’m sure you’re not boring,” Fletcher reassured the Hufflepuff as he fiddled with some of the settings on his camera. Apparently humans and nature didn’t photograph quite the same way. Who knew.

“Any hobby can be exciting if you make it so,” he commented before pointing at a nearby bench. “Try sitting over there. I think the lighting’s better there.” Suddenly he was beginning to understand why that Caprica girl had been so obsessed with finding good lighting at Hogwarts. It really did come in handy for taking pictures. Fletch hadn’t really noticed before, probably because he was used to being on the other side of the camera, having fun.

“I have all kinds of hobbies - hiking, pranking, building treehouses, finding random stuff and making...other stuff out of it.” He didn’t even know if there was a word for that one. He raised his magical camera again. “And taking pictures! I think they’re all pretty exciting. What about you, what do you do? I bet I could find a way to make it exciting.”