Olivia Clarke

I'll take my lunch to go, please

7 posts in this topic

Olivia couldn’t believe she was finally at Hogwarts! It was all too exciting—the castle, the magic, the classes, and honestly, the food. She had not been prepared for the feasts that were awaiting them every single day. Sure the day to day meals weren’t as impressive as the welcoming feast, but still much better than she was used to. There was just so much of it!

She was stuffing her face as per usual when the best idea came to her. How much fun would it be to take advantage of all this extra food to have a food fight?? Looking around the Great Hall, however, she was disheartened by the number of Professors lurking. It would not do to hit one of them. But maybe she didn’t have to do it here, she could surprise people elsewhere!

Sneaking a peak around her to be discrete, she threw every piece of food around her into her bag and slid out of the Hall. She really needed to surprise people to make this worthwhile, she needed somewhere she could hide…the armor gallery! It was perfect! Within minutes, Olivia was behind a suite of armor, congratulating herself on her hiding spot and bag full of messy ammunition. Upon hearing footsteps, she lunged into attack mode and launched the food at the unsuspecting passerby’s. How fun was this??

It only occurred to her after that in order to have a food fight, both parties needed to actually have access to food. Whoops. 

Edited by Olivia Clarke

Bumble had been polishing some suits of armour and humming himself a happy little tune. 

But then someone had began throwing food again. One of the littler children. The new ones. 

Now what any NORMAL house elf probably would have done it get really mad, at his work that was now ruined. But Bumble wasn't a normal house elf. 

Instead he started bouncing up and down in front of Olivia with glee. 

"OOH MEES A GAME I SHALL PLAY TOO!"

Harper was so lost. Emotionally, but mostly physically. She’d been on her way to the Great Hall, using the exact staircases and landmarks—a couple of portraits, an oddly-shaped sconce—that she’d meticulously noted during the tour, when some staircase swung her all the way to some random floor. The third floor? Petrified, she stood on it for a while, waiting and waiting for it to move back, but nothing happened. So she decided to search for some alternate way, or, unfortunately, find someone to help her. 

She passed through a creepy hallway full of suits of armor, which she hoped with all of her heart were just normal, empty suits of armor. She imagined corpses and ghosts and monsters. If all the people in the portraits could move around and talk to each other all day, she thought with some paranoia, it seemed pretty likely that these suits of armor could come to life and start throwing spears at her any minute. The way the shadows were moving in the gallery made her even more nervous. Her palms were sweating; she was already lost. Just relax, and go quickly, Harper told herself. It’s—

A roll of bread suddenly glanced off the side of her face. 

Harper screamed. 

Where was the food coming from? There were a couple of pieces of fruit, and a biscuit, and more bread, which she tried to dodge with limited success. How could these suits of armor possibly have food, and why were they throwing it at her? Then she made out a girl crouched behind some armor, and a weird-looking bouncing elf-creature. “What are you doing? What is that?” she shrieked, pointing at the elf, shielding herself with her arms. She panicked. “Never mind, I don’t want to know,” Harper said, barely hearing whatever answers she was given, and she sprinted back into the corridor, crumbs flaking off of her as she went.

So Aurora had realized quite quickly that she still had a lot to learn about Hogwarts, particularly the staircases. After all, she had simply been trying to head down after having spent some time in the library and somehow she'd ended up nowhere near where she had been planning on. But alas the staircase had refused to move any further and not wanting to stand there for the impending future, she headed off down the corridor, thinking maybe she could fool the staircase so that she could actually end up back on the main floor so she could eventually end up back in the common room.

And then there was a scream, and curious as ever, Aurora followed the sound of the noise. Why was there so much screaming this early on in the year anyways? She had to wonder to herself as she walked. Aurora had more questions than answers when she watched a first year exit a particular room dusting what looked like food off herself.

So naturally Aurora had to peek inside and see what was going on but finding food on the floor and a very excited house elf was not quite what she expected. Her head tilted to the side as her eyes caught on that there was another person in the room.

"Um, do I want to know?" She asked, her voice a little hesitant.

Several things happened very quickly. First, Olivia was greeted by the most enthusiastic house elf she had ever seen, bouncing up and down with boundless energy. Second, some of her food found a target, confirmed by a loud scream. Third, it only now occurred to her that a proper food fight needed to go both ways, and she was firing upon unarmed, unprepared students.

"Oh yes, of course you can play!" Olivia said, laughing slightly at the elf. She wasn't really sure what else to say, but also wasn't really sure what game the elf thought she was playing. Unless it was just throwing food. However, her attention was averted quickly to the screamer. Oh Merlin. What was she doing??

“Wait, no, stop..!” Olivia tried to push past the bouncing house-elf to stop the girl from running away, but it was too late. She felt terrible. She needed to explain herself. But how could she explain herself? She should have just stayed in the Great Hall. Then it could have been a real food fight. At least she had only assaulted one person. It could have been worse. She was about to try and calm the elf down when she found herself face to face with another girl.

Oh Merlin. “Umm…” Olivia looked around her, at the mess of food and the bouncing elf. “Probably not?” She said uncertainly. Honestly, she didn’t even know how to begin explaining the logic of what had just happened. "You didn't happen to see a girl run from here, did you?" 

"Oh, um yeah. She pretty much fled the scene pretty fast." Aurora glanced behind her as she answered the girl.

"I don't know if you'd be able to catch her if that was your plan."

Aurora took a real look at the room, trying to get a real grasp on what the girl had been planning. With food, one would have naturally suspected a food fight but even she had to admit this was the least likely place she'd have gone with. But who was she to properly judge this girl's plans, it wasn't like she hadn't gotten into some strange situations already.

"So...do you need any help? Cleaning or ... helping, I guess? I imagine you had a plan here." Aurora shrugged her shoulders, nonchalantly, after all she could just disappear away herself and leave the girl to her own dealings. She was sure she'd be just fine either way.

Yeah, Olivia wasn’t going to be able to catch her. And she didn’t even know who she was. But maybe that was a good thing? If Olivia had no idea who she had just plastered with lunch, maybe the unknown girl had no idea who she was either? With that thought, she felt a bit better. It really was a bummer though that she happened to hit someone with food whose response was to scream and run away. Plenty of people would stick around, laugh, or at least figure out what the heck was happening…right? At least the house elf was happy to be there. Olivia shuffled her feet awkwardly.

“Guess not...hopefully I’ll see her another time!” Doubtful, given her identity was still unknown to the eleven-year-old.

Oh dear sweet Merlin. Cleaning. Olivia glanced around the gallery, taking in the spectacle she had created. Fighting the sudden urge to laugh at how ridiculous she was, she grinned at the girl. “Wow, that’s awfully nice of you to offer. I wish I knew a spell to clear it all up!" Cue awkward giggle. "I can’t wait ‘till I can manage that.”

Unless…Olivia caught sight of the house elf, still thrilled to be there. “You don’t happen to have magical cleaning powers, do you?” She asked @Bumblehesitantly. Of course the elf did, that’s what house elves did. But she did feel slightly bad asking the elf to clean up her mess, especially when it was under the impression they were playing a game.