Solace Norwood

June bride, shine so bright

Solace Norwood

There was a cluster of flowers surrounding her - some that she’d found and picked herself and some that she’d transfigured out of long blades of grass.  Solace was currently stringing these together to make garlands for her hair.  She didn’t even bother with making one for Elke, already sensing this sort of thing wasn’t her friend’s style.

The girls were meeting up for one last rendezvous by the lake before heading home for the summer, a bittersweet moment in Lace’s mind.  Elke was one of those friends she knew she would miss, but getting to see her mum again would make it all worth it.

“Did I tell you my mum’s got a new boyfriend?” she asked Elke, knowing she hadn’t yet.  It had taken Solace some time to process this bit of information.  “My mum showed me his picture.  He looks nice, I suppose,” she shrugged as she gently pried open a hole in a flower stem and poked another through it.  Lace was reserving judgement until she met the man herself.

“What’s new with you?”

Edited by Solace Norwood

Elke Pollard

While Solace busied herself stringing a crown of flowers together, Elke watched with interest. She wasn't one to wear flowers in her hair (flowers were pretty, delicate and those were two things Elke couldn't relate to) but she appreciated the skill behind it.

It was nice finding a female friend at Hogwarts. For so long it had just been Elke and Hawke, then they had both come to Hogwarts and forged their own paths. Elke had found Teddy (literally tripped into him) and along with Teddy had come Solace who, not that Elke would ever say this to Teddy, she often preferred the company of. 

"Oh really?" Elke asked, genuinely curious about Solace's mothers love life. "And you'll meet him over the summer?" 

Lace's next question was a loaded one. What was new with Elke? Her awkward conversation with Grayden was still fresh in her mind. She wondered if now was the time to tell Solace. So far she'd only told Teddy about her feelings for Grayden, navigating the awkwardness with only the questionable advice from her other friend. Maybe Solace could provide wisdom that Teddy could not.

"Well," Elke began, letting out a sigh and flopping back onto the grass. "Y'know Grayden? I think I like him. Well not think, I know I do." She pushed herself onto her elbows, her brow furrowing as she addressed Solace, her tone solemn. "Except," she paused sucking in a breath, the next sentence painful to say. "Teddy told him I wanted to swim in his eyes."

Solace Norwood

“I better! I have to make sure he’s alright.  Apparently it’s ‘serious’.  What’s that supposed to mean?  She never goes on dates and now she’s serious about someone?”  The thought was entirely foreign to Solace, who was used to her mother depending on nobody else but her.  Apparently things had changed now that she was at Hogwarts.

The Slytherin sighed at the thought, but only because she was worried.  Lucy was timid and had a habit of seeing everything through rose-coloured lenses.  What if this man was just taking advantage of her in some way?  Solace wouldn’t wait to get home to set things straight.

But first, there was Elke’s news.

“Really? Grayden?” Solace blinked a bit, but only because she’d never thought of anyone in their year in that way before, and hadn’t realized anyone other than the ones who everyone knew had snogged or dated someone did.  She supposed it was natural, and something she should’ve foreseen, but truth be told Lace hadn't thought too much about it.  Her mind was always on other things, and she was probably the worst person to come to for dating advice..

“Grayden’s nice,” she added, as her way of letting Elke know she didn't think there was anything wrong with her liking Grayden, but that was about all she knew about the boy.  Her eyes widened at the next part.  “Wait, Teddy said what?  Teddy knows?  What is that, like guy-speak for you’re interested in him... like that?”

Elke Pollard

"Oh...well um..." Did Solace want her to answer that question? Elke wasn't sure what it did mean to be serious, she assumed that the feelings her friends mother had for this man were more intense and deep. "Well," she gave her friend a comforting pat on the arm, deciding that it was the best course of action. "It's nice that she's told you and that she is excited about it. I bet falling in love must be pretty great."

Elke's shoulders slumped at Solace's surprise. Was it a bad thing that she liked Grayden? Elke didn't think so, sure she fumbled over her words and couldn't act like a normal person around him but she always felt good around him, like all the things that she didn't like about herself didn't matter anymore because somebody else liked her and accepted her for them. 

"He is so nice! He told me he liked me, was going to ask me something but he didn't and now I can't stop thinking about it," she groaned, pulling at the blades of grass between her fingers and tossing them into the air. "Now it's almost summer and I'm going to be stuck thinking about it." She could approach Grayden and ask him what he had wanted to ask, but that would be an entirely rational and normal thing to do so obviously it wouldn't be happening. 

"It's not guy speak. I sort of....said something like that to Teddy when I told him I liked Grayden." She could feel her cheeks burning and Elke grinned in spite of her embarrassment, bursting into a fit of giggles as she added: "I said his eyes reminded me of turquoise pools."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.