Molly Stone

This table has taken a turn for the worst

Molly Stone

The first thing Molly did every morning over summer break was tick a day off her calendar, knowing each red mark meant one day closer to her return to Hogwarts. The calendar itself was tattered, ripped at the edges, doused in dried liquid she’d spilt time and again – yet she treasured it like a diary. The only week in which she hadn’t thought about the calendar had been when she visited Fe at Fletwock Farms in early August, but the rest of the month had passed in a tedious lag. She’d give up football forever if it meant never having to take a break from the magic world.

Needless to say, Molly was thrilled to be back. She was unfortunately stuck lugging a trunk heavy as a boulder (her parents couldn't do magic to lighten it), but thankfully this was not a hard feat for Molly. Anyone who noticed may indeed think the trunk was charmed feather-light as she seamlessly lifted it up the steps onto the Hogwarts express. Her goodbye had been bittersweet – the bitter came in tersely bidding her mother Carla farewell who’d as well as shoved her off, but she'd genuinely hugged her dad, Mark, for a long while, knowing she’d truly miss him.

These thoughts were behind her however, by the time she joined the bustle and flurry of motion onto the train, grinning widely as she sought out her best friends - Brigit, Chuck and Hamish. She began idly scanning compartments, her mind venturing elsewhere, filled with excitement for sorting and the coming year. She’d applied to be a dueling mentor and looked forward to discovering if she’d gotten the role – either way, she’d get to duel for the first time in months, and she’d get to indulge in the feast and size up the new ickles. She’d get to sleep in the Gryffindor commons again – it’d be hard to dampen Molly's spirit.

Absently, with a smile still dancing on her lips, she swung open the door of a compartment, lazily dropping her trunk on the ground before she looked up.

Her smile abruptly faltered.

“Denton,” Molly grit her teeth, turning around. What a welcome back. “I’ll go.” She lifted her trunk back up, making to pull at the handle to the compartment door. It didn’t budge. Anxiously, she tugged harder, but her efforts were futile.

"Er," Molly turned back around. "It's stuck."

Edited by Molly Stone

Damaris Denton

Damaris was dying to get back to school. Sure, the summer hadn't been the worst, but soon, she'd be able to go back to the Dueling Chamber and begin practicing again. Surely, a dueling tournament would be taking place that year, and she wanted to be able to enter and do well. She was sick of losing all the time. It was the worst. 

She was wringing the water out of her hair when she found an empty compartment. She had yet to find Killian, but she was sure that she'd find him before the train got to Hogsmeade. She just needed a moment to get the water out of her hair. She had yet to learn a drying spell--maybe Killian knew one and would be able to teach her.

She blinked when the compartment door opened, thinking it was Killian for a brief moment, before noticing it was Molly instead. She frowned. At the very least, it wasn't Ryan. Or Griffin. Or River. Or hell, even Veronica, though she was beginning to suspect that the girl had transferred to the wizarding school in Brazil. Or at least, she hoped she had. The humidity would destroy the Gryffindor's hair.

"Please do," she replied when Molly said she'd go. 

Except she didn't.

The door was stuck, apparently. Molly was probably lying, though. Just to torment her more, probably. "Why can't you just open the door? This is just like you. You can never leave me alone." She rolled her eyes. 

"Didn't you get Top of Year in Charms? You can't open a door?" It didn't occur to her yet that they could actually be stuck. It just seemed like a prank. Though why Molly would be doing this, she wasn't sure. 

Molly Stone

"I'm trying. Yeah, because this is exactly what I want," Molly drawled. "To be stuck in a compartment with you for an entire train ride." Her voice rose a pitch. "I would just, like, totally, love to watch you put on make-up for three hours." She rolled her eyes, putting a hand over her mouth to suppress a smile, because the thought was almost amusing, and last thing she wanted was Damaris to see her slip.

"Oh. Right," Molly mumbled, who after three months of a life with utterly zero magic, had completely forgotten to draw her wand. She hadn't reverted back completely to her old self, but there were habits there that she'd need a week or two to shake. She drew her maple wood, pointing to the door's lock. "Alohamora." Molly moved to fiddle with the knob again, but it was just as stuck as before, and the Gryffindor had an arm.

"Someone's idea of a bloody hilarious prank, I'm sure," she mused. "You try, then, if you think I'm lying. I don't wanna be here anymore than you do." She made a noise, tongue pressed against her teeth in irritation. "I'm looking for Brigit or Hamish or Chuck or Fe or, hell, I'd take Casper over you." 

Molly rose a brow as she then took in Damaris's appearance wholly, stifling a laugh. "Late shower?"

Damaris Denton

"I don't know, maybe you do," Damaris shot back. "You definitely seem to like dueling me as much as possible." Though she often dueled Molly as well (particularly after the time that she'd managed to hit her with the boil curse), so she didn't think that was a very strong comeback. 

She continued to wring water out of her hair as Molly struggled to open the door. Clearly, she was trying now, but the door remained shut. She would have drawn her wand and tried too, but she was incredibly aware of the fact that she struggled frequently with magic. @Killian Dracel had been helping her a lot, but she still didn't feel completely confident with a lot of the spells that they had been taught the year before. And she definitely didn't want to try to unlock the door, have the spell backfire, hit her in the face and set her robes on fire. 

That was what would happen, right?

Damaris narrowed her eyes at Molly when she raised an eyebrow at her. "Funny," she replied sarcastically, rolling her eyes at the Gryffindor. "No, @Ryan Alterton hexed me." She hadn't wanted to admit that, but she couldn't deny that the idea of badmouthing Ryan to as many people as possible was an attractive idea.

She hopped up and tried the door too, finding it just as stuck as Molly had claimed. She tried not to gulp as she felt her stomach churn at the idea of being trapped for the entirety of the ride. "Well that's just not funny. I was waiting for Killian, and now I have to be stuck here? With you?" she pulled on the compartment door handle even harder, but it didn't budge at all. "Great."

Molly Stone

“I like dueling anyone,” Molly reminded her, irritation ticking as she rolled her eyes. How many times must she repeat the same trite insult?

Molly ignored the puddle of water that seeped across the floor, continuing to pull at the knob.

“Did she?” said Molly suddenly, sounding surprised and impressed. Not even she had hexed Damaris yet, outside of the dueling chamber, anyway. She remembered Killian telling her about Ryan and Damaris getting into a scuffle, and resisted a laugh – Ryan seemed impossible to argue with. Count on Damaris to challenge that. “Damn, that girl’s got more spine than I thought.”

She kept pulling.

“See,” Molly put in as Damaris also failed to burst open the door with her grip. Not surprising - Molly was almost certain she was much stronger than the Slytherin. “Let me have another go.” She made to pull it again, an ache spreading through her white-red knuckles at the strength, then she kicked the door angrily and gave up, sinking into a seat across from Damaris, glaring at nothing in particular. Reeling through Molly's mind were all the missed opportunities she had to catch up with her friends she hadn't seen in months and dearly missed. But of course, fate had to put her in a compartment with one of the people she wished she wouldn't have to see for many more months.

“Brilliant. This is just great. Well. We don’t have to talk.”

Edited by Molly Stone

Damaris Denton

"Actually no, technically it was Ryan's brother," Damaris clarified as she continued to dry her hair. "She was very insistent that it wasn't actually her that did any hexing at all. So no, I don't think you could say that she had a spine at all." Sometimes it was hard for her to decide if Ryan was a crybaby, or was actually pretty devious. The answer was probably somewhere in the middle, but as far as she was concerned, in this instance, it was somewhere close to crybaby. After all, if it had been her instead of Ryan, she wouldn't have needed Dante to charm anything for her. She would have just hexed the person.

Molly tugged and tugged at the door again too, but wasn't able to get it open either. "Awesome," she grumbled sarcastically as she tried to relax against one of the seats in the compartment. "Yeah, no, we don't have to talk."

Then again, being trapped in a completely silent train ride sounded worse than awful. There was nothing that she hated more than silence.

Okay, there may have been a lot of things--people, specifically--that she hated more. 

But what was she supposed to say to Molly Stone of all people? 

"...Um, Knaggs sucks, doesn't he?"

She couldn't believe she was that bored already. 

Molly Stone

"You know that I have no idea what you're talking about," Molly put in. "What, she hexed you then said her brother did it?" she surmised, then shook her head. "I'd have to see it myself. You're not exactly known for your honesty." Molly wasn't about to go insulting Ryan who'd been perfectly nice to her in the past, unlike Damaris.

She leaned back in her seat, grumbling again. One of her arms was gripping her trunk, and the other was holding the cage (covered in a blanket - she knew the pets were banned) that held her pet snake and lizard - both of which she'd had to hide all summer from her mum. "Glad you agree," she finished dully. If Molly was a person who took naps, she may try to. As it was, however, even being stuck in a compartment with Damaris couldn't completely dampen her excitement for her return to Hogwarts. She stared out the window instead, quietly watching the flashes of colorful blurs.

Of course, Damaris had to ruin the moment.

Molly's eyes narrowed. "What, are you trying to rub it in my face, or something?" she snapped. "I get it, Knaggs  silenced me and I'm sure you found it hilarious, but I'm not going to apologize for speaking my mind. Get over it." It didn't even strike Molly that Damaris may share her opinion on Knaggs - everything she knew about the girl, from her lying about the Herbology disaster to her crocodile tears and boil curse led Molly to believe that she was mocking. 

Damaris Denton

“You know, you’re literally the only person who thinks I’m a liar,” Damaris shot back. “So maybe you should consider giving it a rest.” After all, during the snowball fight that occurred in their first year, she had proven that was true. Their classmates had come to her rescue, and hadn’t backed up the Gryffindor when she had tried to defend herself. 

“It doesn’t matter,” she added, because that was the only thing stopping her from storming out of the compartment and stealing Ryan’s notebook. That, and the charm on the door. “Ryan’s notebook was charmed by her brother. That’s all. She wants to play innocent in this, but she’s not.” She knew how guilty she looked in that whole situation, and she was unwilling to get to far into it with Molly - aside from badmouthing the Hufflepuff here and there. 

Damaris blinked at Molly. She’d tried to settle into her seat and wait for the ride to be over, but it was difficult when she was aware of how trapped they were. She narrowed her yes right back at her. “Did you hear me laughing at you during class? Merlin, this is exactly what your problem is. I try to make conversation and you go off all defensive.” A problem she had decided Molly had within the past three seconds. 

Molly Stone

"I don't think you're a liar. I know you're a liar," Molly corrected. "If you haven't figured it out by now, I don't give a damn what other people think. If they all did think you were a liar, I would still judge based off of what I know, and I know you won't even admit to me that you dumped your Herbology project in my breakfast," she finished. Molly honestly could've moved on from that by now if Damaris didn't continue to lie about it. 

"She seems innocent," Molly pointed out, although to be fair, she didn't know all that much about Ryan, so she didn't say anything else. 

Whether Damaris had laughed at her in class or not, Molly wouldn't know as she'd been too preoccupied with her anger for Knaggs and the silencing spell he'd struck her with. She merely shrugged. "I don't remember you ever trying to make a normal conversation until.. well, until right now, apparently." She still wasn't sure why Damaris would want to converse with her if it wasn't a chance to snipe at her - the motives were suspicious, if the past told her anything. "Merlin knows why."

Damaris Denton

"Whatever," Damaris huffed. "I don't even know why you care so much about that." Though if she had to guess, it was probably because she kept telling her it didn't happen. It was kind of funny to see how angry she got, but occasionally it was just a little bit tiresome to keep hearing about it.

"She doesn't even seem innocent," Damaris huffed again, having given up on wringing out the remaining water in her hair. "She's the fakest person who goes to this school. And she's obsessed with Killian. It's creepy." To her, it was slightly ridiculous that she was the only one who could see it--did everyone else just tune out when Ryan went off in History of Magic class that she was afraid of breaking the rules when their professor of all people asked them to go on a scavenger hunt for their exam? Was she the only one who could see how weird it was that she'd brought up Killian when Killian had nothing to do with their feud in the first place?

She folded her arms across her chest at Molly's response. "Fine, forget I tried, then."

Molly Stone

Molly glared. "If you don't know why, I'm not going to tell you." Seriously, all she would've had to do was apologize and say she'd been having a bad day from the start, or better yet, not lie about it repeatedly, even in private - her reaction had made things infinitely worse, and had essentially been the reason that Molly found her behavior unforgivable. 

Molly shrugged, or jerked her shoulders. "Well, I'd rather see someone be fake if they're nice and police, than act bloody awful all the time like you." Although if Ryan suddenly came out with a newfound interest in the dark arts or secretly pulled deadly pranks on people, that wouldn't be the kind of fake she could handle. The Gryffindor somehow doubted that, though. "People think you're obsessed with Killian," Molly put in, then hastily added, "I just think you're friends, but I'm sure same goes for Ryan. Friends doesn't equal obsession, but I know you use that word liberally," she concluded, remembering how Damaris used to tell Molly she was obsessed with her to explain the reason they continuously dueled. 

"Fine."

Stubbornness had always been a driving part of Molly's personality, and the core reason why conversations with her mum often descended into arguments - the both of them were bullheaded enough to fill a whole room, and it seemed the same dynamic burgeoned between her and Damaris, as they exchanged trite words and refused to back down, again and again.

Damaris Denton

The truth of the matter was that it was embarrassing. It was horribly embarrassing that she’d ever done something as childish as dump a potted plant in Molly Stone’s breakfast just because she didn’t like Herbology class. It made her wonder, at least a little, if she and Molly could have been friends if she hadn’t done that. 

She let out a breath. She wasn’t even sure how she was supposed to address that point. While she had warmed up to the idea of engaging in conversation with one Molly Stone, she wasn’t sure if she could admit that—not yet, at least.

She furrowed her brow when Molly said people thought she was obsessed with Killian. “...what? That makes no sense at all. He’s my best friend, do people tell you that you’re obsessed with your friends?” She knew that she’d denied Molly had friends in the past, and that was tantamount to her saying the opposite. “Who’s said that? Why would they think that?” While she supposed she didn’t really care, she was curious.

“I don’t really believe that about Ryan,” she added. “Don’t really know why I don’t like her to be honest. We had a fight last year and Killian wasn’t involved at all and then she just brought him up out of the blue.” She shrugged. 

When Molly pointed out that she used the word ‘obsession’ liberally, she was about to narrow her eyes at her, but she supposed there was a grain of truth to that. Being stuck in a compartment could make you feel introspective, she reasoned. “I still think I’m right about Finnigan...and Ryan too. I don’t think you’re obsessed with me, though.” Those were just words, words that they exchanged on the platform because it was the pattern that had blossomed between them—it wasn’t because she really believed them. 

Molly Stone

"Don't need to tell me. I ain't the one saying it," Molly shrugged. "Beats me, but I'm no snitch, so you'll have to figure that one out for yourself." Even if Damaris wasn't someone who Molly didn't get along with, she wouldn't snitch. The Gryffindor firmly believed snitches get stitches. Not that she thought Hamish or Fin and whoever else had said it would care if the Slytherin knew, but it wasn't for her to tell.

But something weird was happening. Damaris was being honest and morphing into an odd, tolerable version of herself - the version that Molly saw in the praising words of many of her peers, as if she'd somehow actually matured over the summer (Molly always believed such possibility was a myth). She was struck with the urge to question it. Maybe this was all a prank, where Denton had been responsible for locking the pair in the compartment so she could sweet-talk Molly then leave her locked in the train back to platform nine and three-quarters, unable to attend Hogwarts for the year.

Damaris had never done anything that scheming though, had she? Sure, she was irritating and rude, but that seemed like a whole new level of devious that didn't complement her persona.

"Good," Molly spoke at last. "Because I'm not." She glanced out the window, noticing the atmosphere change, the castle now a tangible figure that could be discerned in the distance, its gray shadow growing in size. Once the other people vacated the train, she figured they could bang for an attendant to let them out. Worst came to worst, they'd blow up the compartment. Molly wasn't opposed as there was nothing more important to her than getting to Hogwarts and magic could fix anything.

She glanced at Damaris, a small smile creeping onto her lips. "So. How much do you value school rules?"

Damaris Denton

Was it weird...that she believed Molly when she said that she wouldn't be the one to spread that kind of rumor? "Very helpful," she grumbled, folding her arms across her chest. She wanted names, damnit. Then she would know exactly who she was supposed to hex when they got back to school. "Typical Gryffindor." The whole lot of them were self-righteous, in one way or another. She detested it. Idly, she kicked at the compartment floor.

She couldn't help but grin a bit, though, when Molly asked her how much she valued school rules. "To be honest, not one bit." She'd likely already been written up for her argument with Ryan by Prefect Bryony, and she didn't care one bit about it. She could have a detention waiting for her when she got back to school, but there was no way that she'd go if she could avoid it.

But what Molly was suggesting, however, would definitely get them a detention, no matter whether or not they explained it as being wholly necessary. It didn't matter to her, though. Anything to be able to leave the compartment.

One explosion later, and they were still stuck in the compartment. Damaris opened the window of the compartment a crack to let the smoke out. "Maybe we could climb out the window when the train stops?" But to her chagrin, she saw that she couldn't open the window up more than a few centimeters. 

"I suggest we start shouting for help. How long do you think we're going to be stuck in here?"

Fortunately, they were discovered, and let out of the compartment when the train stopped. Even though she wanted to forget the whole thing, she had a feeling that she wouldn't be able to--and her suspicions would be confirmed weeks later. 

Fin~