Welcome back to VH! We've just upgraded our software and themes and still have some fine-tuning to do. Please be patient while we get everything working right!  For information about the changes and to report any bugs or theme issues, please visit the Board Upgrade forum. Thank you!

Weasley

Site News

195 posts in this topic

In honor of the ten-year anniversary of the new board, please check out McGonagala! The event itself is for alumni and staff characters only, and if you have a retired staff member you would like to bring back for the occasion, please post in this topic to get a visitor tag!

For those of you who do not have an alumni / staff character, keep your eye out for some Daily Prophet articles that you can react to for things that happened at the event. You're also free to get creative and say your character's parents went to the event and told you about it.

We hope you all enjoy!

The Sorting Hat is open for the next school year

Sorting Calendar:
Sorting Form appears: Monday, December 5th
Sorting Form closes: Friday, January 6th (No forms will be accepted after this date)
The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, January 8th, about 10am Central Time
You find out your new house: Sunday, January 8th, 11 am Central Time
First day of the new school year: Monday, January 9th

(For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)

A new VH Roleplaying Challenge has been launched for VH34 here! Post a tracker on VHOT, and start incorporating the prompt into your roleplays to participate. There are prizes to be won, too! This challenge will be open for all of VH34.

I closed our Cafepress shop. It's never accounted for a big portion of our funds. We only got a small amount of the purchase price and no items have been purchased in over a year.

While we might be able to make a little more through there with new designs or designs that might be generally appealing to HP fans... I'd rather have one less thing to think about.

We've moved to a new server. Woo! Seems to be working well so far. *knock on wood*

If you notice anything missing or you get errors, please post in the technical issues topic.

Coming in March...

We will be upgrading the board to the newer version of our software. Right now, I'm planning on doing this immediately after the second round of Quidditch games finish, the weekend of March 24th. Expect the site to be offline most of that weekend.

Remember two and a half years ago? It's going to be a lot like that, the good and the bad. If you weren't here then, expect the site to look and work differently. You'll like some changes and hate others. We'll all need some time to adjust.

From the accounts I'm reading, the new board will be much more efficient, which combined with our new server should keep the board nice and zippy. I don't think there are as many user functionality changes as last time, but I'm looking forward to a few things. I'll start filling you in on prominent changes when we get closer.

I put this upgrade off as long as I possibly could. It's going to require a lot of work (revising the shop/bank/sorting apps, re-designing our skins, etc). And I didn't want to put you guys through another big change too soon after the last one.

But it has to happen before April before Invision stops supporting our version of the board entirely. After that, if something broke or new security risks were discovered... we'd be in trouble.

In case you haven't noticed, there are currently Death Eaters in the castle and in Hogsmeade! If you take a glance around though, you'll also see there are Aurors and Order of the Phoenix members (and even Professors) who are helping to get them out and protect you from harm. May the odds be ever in your--wrong fandom.

For your personal timelines, I thought it would be helpful to let you know that these attacks happened around week 3, the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year, which would be October 4/5, around midday. This plot, while it's taking a while to play out (these things always do thanks to RL and the swift passing of VH time, but trust that everyone is doing their best), will have started and ended in the same weekend, so no you've not actually been tortured for three weeks, thank goodness.

If anyone has any questions, concerns or comments regarding this plot or anything else, feel free to PM Egg and/or Aragon!

And thank you for your participation <3

Board Upgrade: Still scheduled to happen the weekend of March 24th after the Quidditch games conclude. Expect VH to be offline most of that weekend and possibly into the next week. Please note that we might choose to extend Term 2, Week 1 to last two weeks if the upgrade takes longer than expected.

I've set up a forum for posts about the upgrade. Please check there for further news and announcements on this subject.

Fundraising: I've recalculated our budget and we're short $92.07 cents for 2017, less than I expected. I've reset the donation sidebar. Any donations to help make up the shortfall will be greatly appreciated. Edit: That was quick! We're all set for 2017 now. Thank you!

Coding Sandbox: Another new forum. Please be sure to read the forum rules.

The reason for its existence is explained here: Editor Changes

If you're a person who likes coding text and/or who has carefully coded character libraries or other posts, I recommend you read that topic ASAP!

Reminder: VH will be offline this weekend starting Friday March 24th. I will probably put it offline shortly after the Quidditch games. Expect it to remain offline... probably most of the weekend. If, due to unfortunate and unforseen circumstances, I have to keep it offline into next week, we'll add an extra week to the school calendar.

And that means less than a day left to save your code! (See previous post)

Also Canon character applications are open for one more day.

Hm, looks like I won't be backing up the database for another hour probably, so VH can stay online a little longer. Let's say 7:30 pm EST.

VH is back! Shiny and new. But very much still a work in progress. We're still ironing out some wrinkles, tweaking the themes and settings, and getting used to it ourselves.

Please take a few moments and visit the Board Upgrade forum to learn about new features, changes, issues we're still working on, and to report bugs or suggest adjustments. Especially the Announcements thread, where I'll list some known issues and other important information.

Also please note the following ADDITIONS TO THE RULES:

Regarding name changes:

Accounts in the Member group (Unsorted) now have the ability to change their own names - but only once! So if you didn't see our naming guidelines before you registered and are stuck with a name that doesn't fit, you can quietly change it by going to "Account Settings" and then "Display Name." Type carefully. You won't get a second chance. 

Alumni accounts now have the ability to change their name (for in character purposes, like marriage, etc) themselves. Alumni accounts are allotted two name changes every three years. If you get confused about who someone is, you can check their name history in their profile. Please note that you are not allowed to use this to completely change your character.

Gallery

Please check out the Gallery guidelines before you start uploading images.

Okay, we're adding an extra week to the school year to make up for the downtime the last few days. 

Week 2  of second term officially begins next Monday, April 3rd.

We will fix the dates in the calendar as soon as possible.

Members with accounts in the Member Group (Pre-Hogwarts), there is now an avatar gallery that you can choose from to replace that ghostly figure. Browse the gallery here. To select an avatar for your account, click on the avatar and then when you hover over the image, a menu will appear in the top right of the image viewer window. Click "Set as" and then "Set as my profile photo."

Later, once your character has been sorted into a house, you'll be able to upload your own custom avatar.

I'll need to take the site offline briefly this weekend to install a minor software upgrade. It shouldn't take too long. An hour or two, just long enough to back up the database and run the upgrader.

Right now, I'm thinking Saturday morning (Pacific time), but not 100% positive yet. I'll give you at least an hour's warning before the site goes offline.

I'm taking the site offline in one hour to upgrade the software. It shouldn't be down for long. One to two hours, maybe less. 

I've upgraded the software. If you notice new issues with themes or functionality, please let me know about them in the Board Upgrade forum. Thank you!

Later tonight, I'm going to take the board offline briefly to do another software upgrade. It should take less than an hour. I'm going to shoot for midnight Eastern time.

I've upgraded our software and the Polyjuice app. Please let me know if you notice any new issues by posting in the Board Upgrade forum. Thank you!