• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   10/05/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Thursday, October 5th Sorting Form closes: Friday, November 3rd (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, November 5th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, November 5th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, November 6th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Sableplume

VH35, Term Two: Quick Hippogriff Shenanigans

18 posts in this topic

MEET SABLEPLUME.
Selfish. Haughty. Voracious. Proud. Loyal

oNLLidw.png
Source: Pottermore

Out on a paddock located in a corner of the Hogwarts lawn, lay a huge bird-like creature with sable-coloured feathers. On some days, Sableplume may be found snoozing out in the sunshine, his feathers shuffling as he dreams about plump ferrets and growing hippogriff babies. On other days, he may be coming in for a landing, having just made a dozen circuits around the Hogwarts castle. Very very rarely, he'll be found outside the paddock.  Sableplume is deemed to be one of the friendlier hippogriffs Professor Qin owns. However, this should not mean that he can be underestimated. This year, his junior caretakers Fiona Weaver and Zara Anguariz could be seen popping by ever so often to look after the creature. Professor Qin welcomes everyone to interact with the creature. However, it is critical to follow the rules:

(1) Always bow before you interact with Sableplume for the first time.
(2) Wait for him to bow back before approaching
(3) If he doesn't bow back, step away. Now.

X X X X

•  ALL RPS MUST BE BELOW 150 WORDS (as a general guideline). This event will be open for a week.
  • Every now and then, Sableplume hearts, which will help you to have a better chance at obtaining a flight at the end of the term (or this year, during the summer *cough*), will be posted and they will be up for grabs.
  • Each heart has a predetermined prerequisite. This can range from ‘to pet Sableplume’ to ‘to bathe Sableplume’, etc.
  • Each heart can only be claimed once.
  • From VH34 on, you can earn a max of 5 hearts. But unlike the previous system, you only earn hearts if you complete a wide range of interaction types. Look here for more info.
  • The events do not necessarily happen in a chronological order in this thread. For example, if there is someone I have yet to respond to in this thread and you wish to post, you can assume YOUR event happened at a different time!
  • Some of them will be ‘Design your own interaction!’ YOU get to determine how the interaction goes.
  • You also get to determine whether you want a bad interaction (“Ow ow ow!”) or a good interaction (“He let me pet him!”) ICly. Either way, you will earn that heart. If you want a bad interaction, it will be helpful if you list/RP a reason why you think the interaction will go badly.
  • If interested, please fill in the form below with a RP, together with the heart number you'll like to claim. The underlined bits are where you should customise your form. Please do not claim a heart without a RP.
  • If you have claimed a heart, you are not allowed to claim another until Sableplume (me) has posted a response to you.
  • Sometimes, I will need to do a bit of lightgodmodding re: reaction portion. If there is anything you're against, please do not hesitate to drop me a PM
  • Reaction posts are allowed. Simply do not post your rp with a form.
  • If you choose to interact with a caretaker, you will earn a small shop prize on top of the heart! ICly, you should be asking them for help in relation to the heart's prompt.
  • Different people can post one after another without waiting for a response from me (and sometimes, a junior caretaker)
  • Share the love~
  • LINK TO BONDS SPREADSHEET

X X X X

I WANT TO PLAY!
I am claiming heart _____.
I want my character to be/ not be accepted by Sableplume.

If you are not accepted by Sableplume, why? Surprise me!/Because.....

I want/do not want to interact with a caretaker.

X X X X

10/12/17
3 HEARTS UP FOR GRABS!

(1/FEEDING) - Sableplume has wandered close to the doors the lead into the castle. Maybe you should tempt him away?
(2/GROOMING) - Sableplume had a biiig fight with the squid and is now all wet. Someone should help him get dry!
(3/OTHERS) - Design your own interaction!

I WANT TO PLAY!
I am claiming heart 3 (design your own interaction)
I want my character to not be accepted by Sableplume.

want to interact with a caretaker.

Brushing the dust off her camera, Addison took it apart to give the mechanisms inside a thorough cleaning, and then re-assembled it. She was fairly familiar with the device now, having owned it for several years, and was certain that it was working correctly. But what better way than to give it a test run? She toted it out to the lawns, meandering towards the hippogriff paddock. Sableplume was out on this sunny afternoon, and his feathers were gorgeous in the light - someone must have given him a bath recently.

She bowed before getting any closer, and then held up her camera. "Oi, Sableplume! Would you be okay if I took a few pictures? I've got a present for you afterwards..." Addison glanced around for the caretakers, to see if they'd be willing to permit her access into the paddock for an impromptu photo session with the beast.

WC: 148

Edited by Addison Toft

I WANT TO PLAY!
I am claiming heart 2.
I want my character to be accepted by Sableplume.

I want to interact with a caretaker.

The end of year was coming, and Ethan decided to take a walk around when he walked over to where Sableplume was, he was going to miss seeing all these creatures. After his first year in COMC he was starting to think that he might want to work with Creatures when he got done with Hogwarts. Walking a little close, but not that close, as he would wait for a caretaker to come over. He noticed that something was wrong.

Bowing, “did he get into a water fight or something?” He asked, one of the caretakers that was out there. He might just need someone to try him? But how does on, dry a hippogriff? Ethan didn’t know at all.

I WANT TO PLAY!
I am claiming heart 1.
I want my character to be accepted by Sableplume.

want to interact with a caretaker.

Kaleb sat on the lawn. He had been cooped up in the castle for the past few days studying. He hoped the change of scenery  would help clear his mind and help him focus on studying again. Nope.  He laid back on the grass, letting out a huff, before something caught his eye.

Was...was that a Hippogriff? "Woah!" Kaleb exclaimed, his eyes widening at the sight of the magestic beast walking close to the doors.

His instincts taking control, Kaleb briskly walked over to the Hippogriff. He wasn't sure what he would do, but he had to try and do something right? The Hippogriff turned to him as he approached and Kaleb froze right in his spot. Remembering what he read, he bowed at the Hippogriff. Keeping his head down, he decided to try something. "Hi...I'm Kaleb. I think...I think there are some treats over there!" Kaleb offered, pointing off in the distance.

Edited by Kaleb Kennedy
my RP got long. Sorry D:

CARETAKER POST
responding to Addison Toft  prompt 3

✘✘✘✘

It was bath day, and Fiona had just finished replacing all of Sableplume’s bath supplies and dumping out the water buckets. Someone had approached the paddock while Fiona was gone, but even most first-years knew better by now than to just leap right over the fence. And actually, it was an older student anyway. Ah yes, Addison could definitely be trusted to approach Sableplume. Fiona approached and greeted the Gryffindor prefect with a companionable wave.

“Ooh that’s a cool idea, with the camera!” she exclaimed, “You’re welcome to head in, I’ll just be over here drying off.”

When bathing a hippogriff, the water sometimes seemed to end up everywhere except on the hippogriff. After several minutes of systematic charms work on her clothing, Fiona headed back over to check on Addison and Sableplume.

“If you want, I could take one of you and him together!” she offered with a smile.

CARETAKER POST
responding to Kaleb Kennedy  prompt 1

✘✘✘✘

Over the last term, Zara had been behind the scenes taking care of Sableplume and dealing with her heavy class load. It had been months since she had been inside the dueling chamber. The Slytherin found herself even more distant than her classmates than she had been at the beginning of the school year. At least there were friends back at home that were willing to hang out with her back at the farm.

This fine spring day, Zara had been so distracted taking care of the nifflers that she hardly realized Sableplume had managed to get too close to the castle. By the time she realized what was going on, the hippogriff was gone.

In a panic, she walked along the lake looking for him. All of a sudden, she noticed the hippogriff was getting a little bit too close to the castle.

Zara ran towards him only to find a familiar looking first year trying to lure him in another direction. "He is too smart to believe you. Why don't you try this," she said handing him some oats she had tried to feed the nifflers?

Edited by Zara Anguariz

CARETAKER POST
responding to Ethan Smith  prompt 2

✘✘✘✘

Fiona was contentedly moving about her paddock chores, even though Sableplume had flown off for the time being. She frequently wondered what kinds of adventures the hippogriffs got up to when they were away from the paddock. Particularly when Sableplume came back covered in something or, in this case, dripping sopping wet.

“Couldn’t wait for bath time, hmm?” Fiona asked of her feathery charge, and cocked her head in bewilderment. A voice from the fence line meant that someone else had taken notice too.

“Oh, hi Ethan. It looks like he just went headfirst into the lake, doesn’t it?” Fiona agreed, “Let me grab some towels.”

Hippogriff-sized towels were really more like fluffy blankets, and Fiona returned with an armload. She offered half the stack to Ethan. “We should be good to go as long as we don’t get his feathers all out of place,” she promised.

Reaction to Fiona ♥ WC: 134

Addison handed her camera out to Fiona. "Sure. You'll have to give the button a bit of a jiggle, and it might make a noise when you press it down, but that's okay - I just cleaned it out, so the pieces might not be fully lined up on the inside yet." Climbing over the fence, she jogged up to Sableplume in full view. Bowing again, for good measure, she beamed at the hippogriff. "Hi buddy, it's been a while, hasn't it? Since you-know-when," she added in a low mutter, recalling the night Sableplume had unceremoniously dumped her and Silas into the lake. "Anyway, I just wanted a picture! You cool with a picture? I have a shiny for you..."

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out an old, half-corroded brass gear from her camera.

responding to @Addison Toft  prompt 3

✘✘✘✘

Sableplume had absolutely zero idea as to what was going on. (I mean, you didn’t expect him to understand the purpose of a camera, did you?) But hey, he’d be dumb to not recognize the human word ‘present’. He just needed to know what he was, er…supposed to do.

At first, his old caretaker stood close by him. Sableplume waited, waited annnnd waited before darting his head from side to side in confusion. It caused some kind of commotion between the female humans and he was eventually told to ‘stay still’.

He can do that, sure but feathers, humans sure grow weirder by the day.       

✘✘✘✘

Prompt 1: Waiting for @Kaleb Kennedy to respond to @Zara Anguariz first since it is more appropriate for the context.

Edited by Sableplume

responding to @Ethan Smith prompt 2

✘✘✘✘

While Sableplume liked being clean, he didn’t like being wet for too long. Unlike his water fowl cousins, Sableplume’s feathers were not waterproof, meaning wet feathers made it harder to take flight. And that was a big no no for Sableplume, even though hippogriffs of his size did not have any natural predators.

Squawking happily at the sight of the big fluffy blankets, Sableplume waited for the humans to hold them up high (whether by hand or magic) before tumbling into them, nearly knocking them over in the process. Opposable thumbs were really useful things to have – why couldn’t hippogriffs be blessed with those?   

X X X X

10/13/17
2 HEARTS UP FOR GRABS!

(4/OTHERS) - Sableplume is stalking someone's cat. Mmmm...do you want to stop him?
(5/OTHERS) - Design your own interaction!

(OOC: POST HERE WITH A ONE LINER IF YOU WANT THAT CAT TO BE YOURS :D)

Edited by Sableplume

Responding to Fiona and Sableplume.

After he was allowed to come help, looking at the towels that were handed to him. They were huge. Than again do was Sableplume. Hoping not to get his feathers out of place. Using magic he helped get the towel/blankets over the hippogriff to get him dry, which would be a good thing. Since he wanted to take a bath on his own anyway.

He was almost knocked over, but that is what happens when you deal with creatures that have a mind of their own. Ethan enjoyed this and hoped to be able to have more interactions later on.

Responding to @Zara Anguariz <3

Thankfully someone that knew more about Hippogriffs came to help him. The feet that shuffled closer remained a mystery to Kaleb (he dare not stop bowing) until he heard the voice. "Oh, hi Zara. Umm..." he trailed off as she told him that Sableplume wouldn't fall for such a stupid trick. He eagerly took the treat, nodding at her instructions. He turned back to the Hippogriff and bowed again.

"I'm sorry, I should have known better than to try to trick you. Please accept my apology and these treats," Kaleb offered the oats his open palm. His eyes remained fixed on the hippogriff, watching for any signs of anger or attack. He hoped he had not insulted the creature with his stupid attempt to trick him.

responding to @Kaleb Kennedy prompt 1

✘✘✘✘

Sableplume had been inside the huge structure just the once…or maybe twice. He couldn’t remember much of what happened on either occasions (the first was when he accidentally drank firewhiskey and the second was during a moment of insanity (a dare)) and decided it was time to right that wrong. So, here he was, standing outside the double doors of the great castle.

So…how does one get in?

His attempt was soon interrupted by a couple of noisy humans. At first, Sableplume was annoyed. But when it soon became apparent that the humans had FOOD to offer…well….

The castle wasn’t going to run away right? Food on the other hand…

With a low squawk, the beast inspected the offerings. It wasn’t a ferret but…oh well *pecks at*.

X X X X

10/13/17
2 HEARTS UP FOR GRABS!

(4/OTHERS) - Sableplume is stalking someone's cat. Mmmm...do you want to stop him?

(OOC: POST HERE WITH A ONE LINER IF YOU WANT THAT CAT TO BE YOURS :D)

reacting to Sableplume and Zara <3

It worked! Kaleb had successfully distracted the Hippogriff from entering the castle. There was something humbling about having a mighty beast peck oats out of your hands, especially since Kaleb was trying his hardest to not move so much. His eyes watched the Hippogriff eat, only taking quick chances to check out it's wings and claws and the rest of it when it seemed distracted.

Once the treats were gone, he stopped bowing (ow his back!) and turned to @Zara Anguariz. "I have never seen a Hippogriff up so close. Do...do you think he would let me pet him a bit?" Kaleb asked. Imagine how cool it would be when he told the other First Years that he got to pet a Hippogriff. "I can never imagine getting a chance to ride him. Have you?" he asked the Slytherin girl another question.

I WANT TO PLAY!
I am claiming heart 4.
I want my character to be accepted by Sableplume.

I do not want to interact with a caretaker. 
(not that I don't loff you all, but it seems to make more sense they aren't there)

Seeley didn't have a cat of her own and as such,  she happily took a break from studying herbology underneath a large tree when a particularly friendly cat started begging for some affection.  But, the interaction was over far too soon and she was forced to go back to her books.   

Until the sound of ruffled feathers and large footsteps caught her attention and she curiously peeked around the tree to see a fierce creature creep passed slowly in the same direction the cat had just gone in.  She recognized that creature, they had met before and not in the greatest of ways.  Shoving her book to the ground she stood up and stepped around the tree, making as much noise as possible to get the hippogriff's attention, despite the fact that that very activity went against everything she ever wanted to do in life. #stealth 

Edited by Seeley Pichardo
i fail.. i read that as at least 150 and not below 150 - i had to edit.

Responding to Sableplume ♥

"Okay Sableplume, now just hold still..." Addison positioned herself next to the hippogriff... and was promptly bumped by his bobbing head, with enough force to send her off her feet and tumbling into the dirt. "I said stay still!" she groaned, picking herself up and dusting off her knees. Addison sighed, and traipsed over to Fiona as the camera spit out a polaroid. Shaking the picture until the image cleared, she held it up to the light, and frowned.

Sableplume was staring, head tilted quizzically, while Addison had her hands thrown into the air, mouth agape, as she flew out of frame.

"Great, just great... well, at least I know the camera's working. Thanks, Fiona." 

responding to @Seeley Pichardo prompt 4

✘✘✘✘

Sableplume’s diet consisted of small mammals. Naturally, felines fell into that category. He would have gotten his fill of them over the years if these critters hadn’t used the humans as their shields. Fortunately for him today, he spotted a lone one making its way across the large patch of grass. The hippogriff, in need of a snack, trailed after the critter. While in stalking mode, there was rarely anything that would distract the beast….except maybe for a noisy human.

Sableplume squawked in displeasure when the noise startled his prey, which quickly scampered into the undergrowth. Who is…what even???

Oh it was that human again. *eyes*

How was she going to make up for this? Huh? HUH?

(OOC: It would have been difficult for Sableplume to accept Seeley in this interaction unless she makes it up to him. So it's your call if you want to respond!)

X X X X

10/16/17
2 HEARTS UP FOR GRABS!
(6/SHINY-GIVING) - Sableplume has his eye on a prefect's badge that is still pinned in X chest. What do you do?)

Post a one-liner here if you want to be that prefect!

Edited by Sableplume