Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher Barrow

It’s cool to take these chances, it’s cool to fake romances

Fletcher Barrow

Now that the second task was over and Fletcher was still alive he reckoned there were no more excuses he could use to put off the thing. The thing being talking to Seeley about their...situation.

Were they dating, were they not? Did they even want to be? He wasn’t sure anymore. He’d only accepted her dating proposal because they had been in a dark cave with a deadly creature chasing them down and he hadn’t had the heart (or the patience, or any sort of wise decision-making skills) to say no to the Hufflepuff girl’s poor distraught face.

Fletch didn’t really want to talk about it, but he knew he couldn’t avoid her forever. It would make hanging out awkward. Besides, shouldn’t they want to hang out if they’re boyfriend and girlfriend? Just thinking about those two labels made him cringe. This was unfamiliar territory he wasn’t sure he even wanted to traverse right now.

So he sent his owl after Seeley with a quickly scribbled message to meet with him because scouring the entire castle for her would have taken years. If they were going to do this, they were going to do this outside in the courtyard where he could breathe in some fresh air and didn’t feel so confined. As usual he had no plan or strategy ready but he figured he’d make it up as he went and hope for the best.

Seeley Pichardo

Ah yes... the thing.  

Seeley wanted nothing more then to forget the thing had ever happened.  And she was doing a pretty god job of it a few days later, going about her normal business of eating a late breakfast with Desmond and Milo and Selena at the Hufflepuff table as usually when Fletcher's owl found her and dropped the note into her scrambled eggs.  Hesitantly, the girl picked it up and shook the yellow fluff from the corner before unfolding it and ignoring the odd look from Desmond as he couldn't help but notice the words from where he sat next to her and she shrugged, hoping he wouldn't pry.  

"It's probably some... post-task... meeting or something." 

But, instantly her brain spiraled into a panic.  Fletcher wanted to hang out?  He wanted to have a date, and hold hands and do date-y type things and oh God what if he wanted to kiss her?  There was only one person she wanted to kiss right now and that wasn't working out so well.   This was absolutely Seeley's worst nightmare.  Well, maybe not worst... Fletcher was not horrible, but this certainly wasn't good.  Why had she ever opened her big mouth?  Her stomach turned and she realized she was no longer hungry. 

This had to end.  

Rising from the table, Seeley smiled awkwardly at Des and the rest of her friends. "I'll see you guys later."  She said and then left in search of the slytherin, quickly finding him exactly where his note said he'd be and as she entered the courtyard she wished she had a sweater with her; a chill rising bumps on her arms as she approached the boy and cleared her throat nervously.   

"I... got your um... owl." She said, her hands rubbing at her arms.  

Fletcher Barrow

Fletcher kicked around a loose stone on the ground while he waited. It wasn’t long before he heard a throat clear and he looked up. Part of him was glad Seeley hadn’t blown off his letter, but another part kind of wished she had. This was all so awkward and he didn’t really want to be here, but he knew it would be even more awkward if they didn’t talk.

“I see that,” he replied with a small, hesitant smile. Where did they start? “So, er, about the cave. I mean, about what you said in the cave. You know, the...boyfriend thing. Did you, well, did you mean all of that?” His hands were already beginning to sweat. He wasn’t ready for this kind of commitment but he also didn’t want Seeley to start crying when he told her the truth.

Seeley Pichardo

What she said in the cave. 

She had said a lot of things in the cave.  Cursing at the mushrooms, watch out for that: rock, fang, hole, giant snake head, etc...  

But yes, of course he would fixate on the whole 'boyfriend' thing.  Why couldn't her brain keep up with her mouth?  Then she just wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.  Avoiding looking directly at Fletcher by any means necessary, Seeley stepped over and found a space to squeeze into on the bench next to him and delayed answering right away.  

"Um... well, yes?  I guess?" She said, at first, because in the fear of the moment she supposed she had.  "But now... I don't think that..." she huffed, and sighed and frowned and contemplated.  How exactly was she supposed to tell him that she wanted to take it back?  She'd never exactly broken up with someone before.  "I think maybe it was a..." 

Mistake.  Accident.  Dumb idea.   

Honestly, most of the time words came out of her mouth without her even thinking about them, but lately it seemed hard for her to put a coherent string of sentences together whenever a boy was somehow involved.   What was happening?  

Fletcher Barrow

There was an awkward silence that made Fletcher want to run but he stayed firmly in his seat. He just wanted to get this over with. Seeley was cute and all and he was still pretty bummed they hadn’t even snogged once but he didn’t have any desire to get attached like a real, official couple.

His stomach sank a little when Seeley said she’d meant it, and the Slytherin chanced a look up for the first time. The look on the Hufflepuff’s face was difficult to read. She didn’t look happy but she didn’t look to be on the verge of tears either, so that was a good sign. She was dragging on her thoughts and Fletch took the opportunity to interject what he hoped they were both actually thinking.

“...A bad idea?” He hesitated for a moment before hastily continuing. “I mean, don’t get me wrong, you’re fun to hang out with and everything but the whole boyfriend-girlfriend thing is a little...I dunno, mate.”

Seeley Pichardo

Oh thank Merlin.   

He felt it too.  

This had all been one big mistake.   As he somehow found the exact words that she couldn't quite piece together, the hufflepuff started to nod, and relax and even smile by the end of it all.  She felt so silly.  This couldn't be how relationships were supposed to go, could it?  Because, otherwise all the moody, older students were really, really doing it wrong.  

"Yea... exactly." She smiled the smallest of smiles at the slytherin as a light laugh slipped out.  "I... don't know why I.. I guess I was just scared and..." she shook her head.  

"Can we just go back to friends?" They had been friends, right?  They were teammates, she knew; but surely after the concussions and the vandalism they were more then just that.   

Fletcher Barrow

Seeley wasn’t crying, that was a good sign. On the contrary, she looked almost relieved. Fletcher could already feel his tensed muscles relaxing and he suddenly didn’t feel the need to look everywhere except at Seeley. He returned a brief awkward laugh. He was so glad this was taken care of.

“It’s all right, I get it,” he replied with an understanding nod. Personally his last thoughts when he had thought he was about to be devoured had not been about dating or having a girlfriend, rather he’d only been thinking about how painful that runespoor’s teeth would be when they crushed his body in half, but you know, he still understood where the Hufflepuff girl was coming from.

“Just friends,” he agreed with a grin. This was better for everyone. Especially considering how the two of them had avoided each other since after the task. He’d been starting to miss her and all their crazy antics together. “You know, we haven’t caused any trouble in a while. Think it’s time?”

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.