Jack Rodgers

Hey hey look at that thing!

Jack Rodgers

Jacky had done all his homework. Maybe. And he was just about done annoying the older students in the common room. For now.

So he had decided to come down at look at the big lake that sat in the middle of the grounds. Some of the older students had told him about a Giant Squid that lived in the lake. Which seemed totally plausible. It was big and deep and dark. Like a black hole it would seem. 

That made Jacky excited. Now he was thinking about all the things that could be living in there, he'd had to get a book out on it later. But for now he just stood at the lakeside, watching the water for a moment. It was still. 

Molly Stone

The brisk air of winter curtailed into the light heat of spring, and Molly spent an increasing amount of time outside. Although she did spend plenty of time snowboarding and engaged in snowball fights in the winter, she didn't have to worry about bundling up now. One of her favorite activities was swimming in the lake and looking for the giant squid, but sometimes she liked to simply sit at its shore with a book or homework, like today. She enjoyed peacefully admiring the still onyx surface. Sometimes there were others nearby - sometimes there weren't.

On that day, she noticed a boy from her year and immediately scrunched her nose.

Jack, to Molly, would forever be known as the boy who peed himself in front of the entire Great Hall. Even if she spoke to him, she couldn't stand too close to him for fear of people seeing them together and (god-forbid) mistaking them as friends. Molly worked hard to climb her way up the social ladder and she wouldn't let him crumble her reputation. She could also smell the pee in her mind, amplifying her distaste. She knew it was wrong of her, but she tried to bury herself deeper into her book, hoping he didn't notice her presence. 

Jack Rodgers

Jacky didn't notice Molly straight away.

He was too busy watching the lake for movement. He'd also heard there was mermaids and all sorts in it's murky depths. In books Mermaid's hair was always long and blond and curly. I wonder if these mermaids hair looks like mine, he pondered, before letting his gaze now float over the grass. 

Then he spotted Molly. 

He leaped up to his feet, and waved in her direction. His hand shaking furiously, as he grinned. Then he started bounding towards her. "MOLLY HEY!" 

He grinned, plopping beside her. 

"Are you trying to see the giant squid too?!?" He kept grinning like an idiot, pointing eagerly towards the lake. 

Molly Stone

Mermaids were normally much too girly for Molly's taste (although the one girly thing she thought was actually kind of cool). However, she'd read up on the mermaids at Hogwarts, and they were different - much more vicious and less gloriously 'pretty.' Indeed, she was intrigued, and as her gaze swept across the glistening water, she also wondered if it was possible for one to emerge from its depths. Could the mermaid have a conversation with her on land? How long could it breathe for, if at all? Is it possible that Mermaids were the pinnacle of evolution? They were, indeed, much more evolved than humans, as far as Molly could see. 

Her train-of-thought broke when Jack called her name and started running toward her. She cringed, willing herself to look his way. Feeling a twinge of guilt, she forced a weak smile onto her lips. "Jack.. hi.." Molly mumbled vaguely. 

The Gryffindor rolled back a shrug. Normally she'd think it was cool that someone also cared about finding the giant squid, but she literally could not blank her mind from the memory of him peeing himself in front of the whole entire Great Hall. The thought was embarrassing to her, and she hadn't been the one to do it. Subconsciously, she shimmied a bit to her left before replying. "Yeah, well, sort of. Any aquatic creature, really? There's loads in the lake, I hear." 

Jack Rodgers

His eyes widened, hands clapping together in excitement. 

"There's all sorts in there!" He nodded eagerly, pointing towards the lake "There was a book in the common room about it. Mermaids and little evil things too!" That had deflated him slightly. Evil things weren't really nice. Maybe they shouldn't be in a lake by the school. But hey not a lot made sense at this school. It seemed to be built of fun and mischief. Even if this mischief was of the killer kind. 

"I'm looking for the giant squid thing" He explained, nodding again, trying to sound knowledgeable. "It comes out sometimes to like....hang out with the students..." Ok so that part have been made up, but Jacky was all about impressing Molly at this point in time so he'd keep it up. 

Molly Stone

"Oh yeah, I read the book." Her brows furrowed, retrieving memories. "Little evil things? Like.. Grindylows, right?" She shrugged. "I've heard that too, that it comes around sometimes." Molly actually had heard as much. "I think I saw it - or, er, something bob the other day." She paused, taking a step forward.

Molly put a hand over her forehead like a visor to block out streaks of sunlight, squinting as her gaze skidded across the lake, studying its vastness, still contemplating the thoughts of the creatures within it. What'd they think of humans, of her? Did they think the race daft? Molly couldn't argue. She inhaled a warm breath as patches of heat skid across the bare skin on her arms and legs.  The lake looked cool, but gentle - she could easily wade through it. 

"I'm going in."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.