• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   10/05/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Thursday, October 5th Sorting Form closes: Friday, November 3rd (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, November 5th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, November 5th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, November 6th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Molly Stone

The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes

14 posts in this topic

From here

Everyone knew a ghost named Myrtle haunted Moaning Myrtle's bathroom - no one, however (or very few) knew why, and Molly was determined to figure out the cause. 

"Mate," Molly prompted Petey, who was definitely not her 'mate.' "I think I could be a professional ghost detector if I just gear up and stuff. I'm like.. getting vibes."

The first thing Molly knew about rooms with closed doors was to check if it was possible to get out of them if she had to. Immediately she reached toward the knob, fiddled with it to no avail, then turned solemnly toward her peers. "Well, this is it. We solve the case, or we're stuck. Detective Stone at your service." She saluted.

Edited by Molly Stone

Petey sneered at the word, 'mate'. "I'm not your mate," he said defensively. But before he could think more about the vague term of friendship Molly had just used to describe the pair with, the doors shut behind him. He jumped for a moment and looked behind him, now feeling hopeless. 

"Detective Stone?" He asked, appalled she'd even give herself that stupid title, "What do you know about ghost detecting? And what vibes? You barely even feel the spells that hit you in the dueling chamber." It was true. The only true emotions Petey had ever seen Molly face were A.) Bragging and B.) Competition. If they were leaving it up to Molly Stone to get them out of this haunted bathroom, it'd turn into a race on who could get out first, and Petey wasn't into being sloppy. He wanted to do this the right way. 

"And don't salute me ever again. It looks stupid." 

The last time Casper was stuck in this restroom, it had been for an undeserved detention. The smell and familiar nausea was already creeping up on him. It didn't help that Molly was taking charge (of course she did, he thought with a roll of his eyes). He had zero (ZERO) faith in her ability to solve the mystery and get them out. Casper nodded along to what Petey said because at least the raven had some wits about him.

"There are no vibes." Trust Molly to be delusional. And he once thought her better than River. "I've been in here before and you can't just sense Myrtle," he spoke to Petey, not even glancing at Stone. (Trust Casper to be stubborn.)

He would just have to solve the stupid case himself.

Edited by Casper Abernathy
rp

"I know you're not my mate," Molly rolled her eyes at Petey's insolence. "It was an expression. Lighten up," she snapped. Being locked in a bathroom was no time for cynics - in her opinion, at least. 

"I know plenty. I read loads of books." 

"D'you think this is a clue?" Molly prompted, pointing to an (ominously) dripping faucet. Drip, drip, drip. It was either a clue, or someone hadn't properly turned it off and was wasting a hell of a lot of water. Although her money was on the latter, she decided to make a big deal out of it for the fans (Molly was still imagining herself as an agent on a detective show).

She glared at Casper, brows a concave drip - she was still angry with him (more than usual), after he acted like a right prat during their duel. "Yeah, idiot, you don't vibe myrtle the moaner. You hear her. I'm talking about other ghosts."

Her gaze set back on the dripping faucet.

"Yes, this is most definitely a clue."

Casper was still at the usual level of annoyance/anger with Molly even after their duel. He was just more concerned with ignoring her, so he could pretend that he wasn't annoyed/angry with her.

"Moaning Myrtle," he corrected, finally talking directly to her. However, he still refused to look her way. Blue eyes instead looked to the sink. Although he didn't believe the dripping water was a clue - Detective Stone didn't impress him one bit - the cracked white porcelain (now grey-ish, dulled by age) was a more convincing clue. Then again, everything in here was weathered.

Being Detective Abernathy was hard.

"If there were other ghosts, don't you think we would have heard about them already?" Eyes rolled and he made a look at Petey. How could the boy stand to be around her? She was likely one of the people that'd be a janitor in the Petey-Casper plan to renovate Hogwarts.

He walked closer to the sink, before pointedly turning the faucet tightly so that the irritating drip-drip was no longer.

"You mean you took me to this stupid bathroom and didn't even know the proper name?" Petey asked Molly with an attitude. Even Petey knew she was Moaning Myrtle. Petey couldn't stand that he had almost let himself believe that their trip to the bathroom had been a bonding experience when Molly was dumb enough to call it Myrtle the Moaner in front of Casper Abernathy. 

Not that he cared what Molly did in front of Casper. But if he did care- he'd rather she not look like a fool. But he didn't. 

Petey folded his arms as Casper turned off the leaky faucet and rolled his eyes at Molly.

"Obviously," he agreed with Casper, "Especially with Hogwarts ghosts. All they do is gossip all day." It was true, anytime Petey had been around a ghost in the Hogwarts castle, they were always chitchatting about the newest ghost-y news. "But I guess even ghosts try to avoid talking to you."

"I think," Petey said, now taking charge of the situation, "We should start by reading all the things written down on the walls. Somebody had to have written a clue there." Not only would this plan look like they were trying to figure a way out, they might even learn some interesting new rumors about the students in Hogwarts. A win/win in Petey's book. 

"I know it's Moaning Myrtle, I'm not an idiot," Molly snarled, rolling her eyes. "It was a nickname, stupid." She shook her head. "You hear about ghosts around the castle all the time. There's loads of them." She glared at Casper as he sabotaged her clue. "Whatever, I'll do the detective work myself. It'll be way easier that way, anyway."

Slowly, she walked toward the area of the wall Petey was pointing to. "You mean that? The rumor wall?" Of course he approached the rumor wall. Molly had a feeling Petey cared less about getting them out of here than he cared about reading all the rumors for his daily dose of gossip.

"Fine," she allowed, squinting at the text. "Petey, look," she turned in his direction, smirking. "Did'ya know your cousin harvests werewolf meat?"

Debatable. The more time he spent with Molly, the more he was convinced she was dumb as rocks. Half of the things she said never made sense. Casper made another look at Petey as if the other could hear the mental snide remarks toward Molly's idiocy. That made two times that Casper believed Petey could just read his mind.

Except, Petey just had to disappoint him. (At least he wasn't Molly. That still made him better in his books.) "The rumor wall?" he scoffed. "What a bunch of rubbish." And, look, he was right. From a quick glance, he could already see the atrocious penmanship describing crushes, fighting, selfies, and... werewolves.

"Your cousin is Kelly Ashcroft?" he raised a brow.

Petey squinted as Molly pointed towards the rumor about his cousin and made a clearly disgusted face. He turned to Casper who seemed unaware of his family history in Hogwarts.

"Yeah," he answered defensively, "But it's just a stupid rumor wall. Most of this stuff isn't even true." Petey knew he was contradicting himself but now cared too much about his family integrity in the castle. 

"I could write on here that 'Casper Abernathy has a crush on Molly Stone' and even River Wolfe would have enough sense to know that it's not true." But now that he thought about it- that wouldn't be a bad idea. Stirring the pot was something Petey often loved to do. Casper didn't look like a boy that would use his fists to prove his point, and Petey was always about pushing his luck. 

The Ravenclaw boy took his quill and started to scribble on a free space. "See," he said even more defensively than before, "It's there! But it doesn't mean it's true!" 

Edited by Petey Levi

Let's make that two times that Petey has disappointed him. (Sigh. And he had just been starting to consider Petey adequate company.) He hadn't even believed that Kelly harvested werewolf meat - as he had said, most of what was written was absolute rubbish! - so Levi didn't need to convince him that the rumor wall was a joke. Mostly, he was concerned with learning that the raven was related to the Kelly Ashcroft. It almost gave Petey more of his respect. Almost.

So, the boy really (really!) didn't need to write another lie to join the fray. Casper tried not to let it bug him. He even took an exaggerated deep breath and tried counting to ten. One. Two. Three - he tried to ignore how everything about Molly Stone offended him - Four. Five. Six. By Seven, he was reminded that people weren't like him. They didn't second guess rumors.

"Some idiots still believe the stuff written up there," he informed through gritted teeth. 

EightNineTen. He growled before he moved closer to rip the quill from Petey's hand ("Give me that!"). Hand was writing before he could give it much second thought. Big mistake. So flustered, he didn't have enough time to properly correct Petey's wrongdoing. Well, no would believe him now. He'd meant to make it anonymous.

He glared at Petey before turning back to the wall and amending his message

Edited by Casper Abernathy

“Petey, you better not flacking write that,” Molly snapped, much too late. She couldn’t believe the embarrassment she’d have to endure if people thought Casper had a crush on her. She’d have to iron her head. Thankfully, Casper (?) saved (?) the (?) day (?)

Molly, however, amended the message again.

STOP IT. NO ONE LIKES STONE.

She then paused, realizing that probably wasn’t a message she wanted emblazoned in the walls, and hastily crossed it off.

“Er - guys,” Molly said conversationally, suddenly remembering her knowledge of Hogwarts, a History. “D’you think the murder mystery he wanted us to discover was Moaning Myrtle getting killed in the Chamber of Secrets?” She blinked. A different faucet dripped. A toilet flushed.

She scribbled in her new legacy.

Petey's jaw dropped as Casper started to scribble on the wall, "I do not like Molly Stone either! Nobody in their right mind would have a crush on Molly." He glanced at Molly and remembered how he was trying to be nicer to her. "No offense or anything," he slightly mumbled. 

The Ravenclaw felt a bit more obnoxious than usual as he watched Molly amend the newest creation on the wall and let out a taunting, 'HaHa'.

"See," he pointed, smirking at what Molly had added, "'Nobody likes Stone'. There's some truth to this wall afterall." He turned to Molly again and felt his nagging promise from earlier and added, "No offense or anything." 

But the little joy Petey was getting out of the rumor wall was quickly ruined as Molly crossed out the latest addition. "Hey!" He said, clearly disappointed Molly had used her brains for once, "It was fine just like that." He sulked for a moment but realized this was an argument he was probably going to lose. Casper and Molly didn't seem to enjoy spreading rumors as much as Petey. 

He rolled his eyes as Molly wrote more onto the wall about her being a 'detective' and grabbed the quill back from Molly. "Some idiots still believe the stuff written up there," he purposely mocked Casper.  

Now growing bored and wanting to get out of this stupid bathroom Petey agreed with Molly, purely for educational purposes, "It is  Moaning Myrtle and her death had something to do with that stupid snake, right?" He asked to Casper, since he was still mad at Molly for ruining the one bit of fun he was having at Hogwarts. 

Lip curled as Petey tacked on the 'no offense'. A scoff. "No, full offense, Stone," he muttered under his breath. You just didn't go crushing on Molly unless there was something wrong (very wrong!) with you. 

Nobody likes Stone - the only sentiment on the wall that was true and it was now crossed off. Thus, there was his proof: everything on the rumor wall was a lie.

And Casper only concerned himself with the truth... unless it was about him (but that was a different story).

He preferred truths. Truths such a figuring out the history behind the murder. A murder which he apparently already knew about it. So distracted by Detective Stone's stupidity and Petey's dramatics, Casper couldn't even remember where he was. Moaning Myrtle's Bathroom. "Oh, of course," he spoke, the facts finally dawning on him. He glared at Stone as if it was her fault it had taken this long. (It was.)

"Myrtle was killed by a basilik," he corrected. Stupid snake. Basilik. Same thing. He just loved proving people wrong. "By the heir of Slytherin, Lord Voldemort, when he was just a fifth year," he added, practically regurgitating the text. 

"Hey!" Molly cuffed Petey's ear. "I'm sure loads of people have a crush on me." She really had no idea and she'd put up a hell of a fight when River had tried to call her the prettiest girl in the world just because there was no way it was true, but alas.

She grit her teeth at his stupid "no offense or anything" line, but that'd be a rant she'd save for a later date (like the next HOM extra credit thread).

"A basil - yeah, that," Molly accidentally agreed with Casper. "You didn't realize it until I brought it up or you would've gone blabbing earlier, so you better not take the credit away from me for solving this case," she glared.

"So, can we get of here out now?" It'd been a very productive bathroom visit!

-fin