Damaris Denton

Revenge is a dish best served with ice cold lake water

Damaris Denton

While Damaris had been trying to spend as much time in the Dueling Chamber, it meant that occasionally she ran into people that she hated. One of those people was Ryan Alterton. Not only was she best friends with Griffin Finnigan and River Wolfe--two of the most utterly loathsome people in their year, but she was just so...fake. There was no way that she could be that nice--she was clearly faking it, Damaris reasoned. 

And after Ryan had used the shower charm in a duel against her, Damaris had decided that she needed to get revenge. She could not let something that had ruined her hair and makeup for the day stand. 

So, imagine her surprise when she noticed the Hufflepuff near the lake that day. A sense of determination and mission filled her at that moment--all of a sudden, it became clear what she had to do.

She stalked over to the Hufflepuff quickly, reaching out to shove her hard in the direction of the lake. 

Ryan Alterton

Ryan had been lucky that she hadn't seen Damaris in the Dueling Chamber since they'd dueled together. The Hufflepuff couldn't, for the life of her, figure out why Damaris hated her as much as she did. The only thing she could think of was that Ryan was friends with Killian, but she really couldn't see how that would cause the Slytherin to hate her that strongly. Plus, she hadn't even spent time with the boy lately. She'd been too busy attending Professor Knaggs' mandatory practice sessions to hang out much with anyone.

She'd finally found some time for herself and, because the weather was finally warming up, Ry had decided she would spend the day outside, relaxing, spending some time with friends and, because she couldn't help herself, do a bit of homework and studying. The lakefront was filled with people who had the same idea as Ryan did. This caused the brunette to smile, as she neared the lake's bank. She'd dropped her bag close to a tree nearby. 

Standing, as she was, by the lake's edge one minute, the very next she felt a shove between her shoulder blades. Immediately losing her balance, Ryan swung her arms to try to regain it, but it had been too late. Ry went careening into the lake, her body shocked with sudden cold, her lungs filling with lake water. Resurfacing, the Hufflepuff coughed up the water, as her eyes wildly looked around to see who had knocked her in. It didn't take her long to spot Damaris Denton standing close by, smirking in a smug way. "Are you kidding me? Why did you do that?"

Damaris Denton

Watching Ryan stumble, try to regain her balance, and then fall straight into the lake was much more satisfying than winning a duel in the Chamber. Or at least as satisfying as winning one, because she hadn’t really won that many duels to have a good sense of what it felt like to win.

A smirk spread across her face when Ryan resurfaced—and although there was no sign of the Giant Squid, it was very satisfying to see that she’d been caught off guard and just had a taste of her own medicine.

She rolled her eyes at the Hufflepuff. “Because you deserved it,” she said simply. “Maybe now you will stop acting like you’re better than everyone else. It’s getting to be just a little bit obnoxious.” As far as she was concerned, that was why Ryan was so nice all the time, and it couldn’t have possibly been any other reason, like her being nice. 

Ryan Alterton

Ryan sloshed her way out of the lake, moving slowly. Her robes hung heavy around her shoulders, though she pulled them off in irritation as soon as she made land. Her eyes were filled with anger, which almost never happened. Damaris was the meanest person in the entire world! She hadn't done anything! They'd dueled and she'd sent a Shower Charm at her. It was not Ryan's fault that Damaris hadn't blocked it or dodged out of the way in time. The Hufflepuff was sick of the Slytherin's bullying behavior.

"Tell me, then. Tell me how I deserve you shoving me into the lake. I wasn't bothering you, Damaris!" Her mouth fell wide open in shock when Damaris told her that she thought she was better than everyone. That...that was the least true thing she'd ever said. Really, Ry didn't know what to say to the girl. Why would she even think that?

"I don't act like I'm better than anyone," she said with emphasis. "I don't even know why you would think that! Why would you think that?" No, honestly, the First Year needed to know. "I've never given you any problems and you're just horrible to me. Why can't we just ignore one another?"

Damaris Denton

The sight of Ryan Alterton sloshing her way out of the Black Lake was enough to make her start laughing. “Merlin, that’s amazing, you look just like a grindylow trying to reach land.” Which was to say, pretty gross, but she was quite amused now.

She rolled her eyes at Ryan when she said that she hadn’t been bothering her. “You and your weird friends are bothering everyone, always.” How was that even a question? She wasn’t normally the type to decide that people were guilty by association, but she would make a healthy exception for Finnigan and Wolfe.

“You don’t?” Damaris scoffed, folding her arms across her chest. “That’s news to me. Is that why you’re always smiling, kissing up to the professors and officiators, and acting like you’re more polite than anyone else?” She scoffed again.

“Yeah, no,” she shook her head. “There’s no chance of that. “Not until you admit that I’m telling the truth.” 

Ryan Alterton

Ryan ignored the grindylow comment because, honestly, she was just being intentionally mean for no reason. Though, Damaris was always intentionally mean for no reason. But this was like her calling Ry "fattie". She just ignored it because it didn't bother her as much as Damaris seemed to think it did. However, her commenting on her "weird friends" didn't sit well at all.

Ryan's friends were the most thing to her. And, sure, River and Fin were definitely oddballs, but that was the reason why she liked them! And furthermore, every time her boys went off on Damaris and Killian, it was because they started it first. She would not control them both. She had just got caught in the middle. "They aren't. You bother them first."

Once again her mouth dropped open in shock. "That's not nice to say! I'm a happy person, which is why I smile. And I don't kiss up to anyone, especially the professors. And I'm not more polite, I was just taught manners from my parents. Unlike you. You're horrible, Damaris Denton. I don't even know why Killian is your friend." 

Killian Dracel

So, here's the story. It's nothing grand. Not spectacular by any means, either. Killian Dracel was a name that was known in the castle. Whether people thought he was a good guy with character, or a tosser who deserved to be tossed off a cliff, his name was known. He was known in one way or another, because Killian was both those things and he knew it.

He just didn't care.

Whether something would earn him the stink eye from Ryan for being a jerk, or an evil glare from Damaris for being a gentleman, his nature wasn't something he was going to apologize for. He did what he did, and that was the end of the story.

Except for when people wrote their own stories; like right now. Damaris and Ryan, at the lake front. The show had been entertaining, and he fortunately had a slice of pizza to eat that he swiped from the kitchens on his way to the lake for a little peace and quiet. His intention had been to practice levitating some rocks, but this was just too good to walk on by. Ryan ended up in the water, and now they were having a go at each other and his name (see? He was known.) was brought up in the exchange.

Did he approach? No. He leaned casually against a tree and ate his now cold pizza, but cold pizza was how you do it, people.

This was their fight, and he just happened to have snacks.

Damaris Denton

Maybe the grindylow comment hadn’t hit its mark, but the comment about Griffin and River definitely had. She scoffed at Ryan’s defense. “Weak—and a lie. Finnigan’s obsessed with me and River’s manipulative. So no, there’s literally nothing that we started first.” Her tone was adamant on that fact. So adamant that she’d even shared the same information with Molly, and in some ways, she hated Molly more than she hated Ryan, if that was even possible.

“Stop looking so shocked,” Damaris snapped. “I know you’re not telling the truth.” She didn’t think she was—but so far it had been hard for her to really be able to concretely tell when people were and weren’t telling the truth. She supposed that in this case, however, it didn’t really matter.

She could stand being told she had no manners, and she could stand being told that she was horrible. It made no difference either way, especially when it was coming from someone who she considered to be loads worse than she was at her worst.

But the next thing she said made her stomach twist uncomfortably and her eyes narrow dangerously. “Take that back, right now.”

…had Killian been standing there the entire time? “How long have you been there? Did you hear what she just said?” Ryan was the worst, and now she had proof, but that definitely wasn’t going to stop her from also trying to cover Miss She-Thinks-She’s-Perfect Ryan Alterton with boils. 

Without thinking about the possible consequences, she’d drawn her wand and was saying the incantation to what had quickly become her favorite spell, as many times as she could in a single breath. 

Ryan Alterton

Something had snapped in Ryan's brain. "Griffin Finnigan is not obsessed with you, Damaris. He has class. Whenever we run into you in the corridors, you are always the first with a mean comment out of your ugly mouth. You get them started, so don't stand there acting like you're the victim, when you absolutely are not!" Ryan couldn't remember ever being this mad in her entire life. She made it a habit to surround herself with happiness and she could often find the silver lining in any situation. There was no silver lining with it came to Damaris Denton. Only rainstorms that killed and left children without parents.

"You don't know anything about me, which is your problem. Have you even asked Killian if I'm as horrid as you say I am? No, you haven't, because you know he likes me." The moment Ry saw that she'd hit a nerve, a smug smile overcame her face. "I don't think I'm going to take anything back because it's the truth. And of course he's been there the entire time. Why do you think I brought him up?"

True enough, Ry had spotted the Slytherin boy not very long ago at all, but it had been what had sparked her to say what she had. "So, he saw you push me in when I wasn't doing anything, heard you make those mean comments. So go ahead, tell him again that I'm the problem." She turned to Killian and genuinely meant it when she said, "Hey, Killian. Where did you get the pizza?"

They were not in the Dueling Chamber anymore. Which was against the rules, but Ryan just didn't care right now. She was quick with her wand when she blocked Damaris' spell, glaring back at the girl. "I'm not dueling you. Stop acting like a baby, Damaris."

Killian Dracel

Killian had just taken the last bite out of his pizza it seemed, and he still had the crust to go. That was the best part, too. Instead, the two girls had figured out he was nearby and called him out on it. Ryan even used it to her advantage. Who said there wasn't a little snake inside her? That was a fine bit of opportunism, wasn't it?

Still, it was all very unimpressive, and he ended up tossing his crust onto the grass where some rodent or other would feast like a king. Perhaps an owl would swoop down and scoop it up in short order. Ah hell, the nature's cycle didn't matter to him, and he stepped towards Damaris and Ryan as the outcome of their row was being forcibly placed on his shoulders. Oh, Damaris was the mean one. Ryan is an imposter. Boo hoo.

As if this was proof of anything that meant something to them. Actually, it was proof of something to him, and it pissed him off. His wand was in his hand quickly, and two knockback jinxes were cast towards them both, knocking them both into the water. He waited for the splashes and the sputtering to end. "Don't get up," he snarled at the both of them. "You're going to listen to me now. I don't care.

"I. Don't. Care." Killian crouched, the water nearly touching the soles of his shoes. "If you two want to have a go at each other, I say have at it and make sure I have plenty of popcorn, but if you think putting me in the middle of whatever this is, is going to help you," he looked at Ryan now, "then you are mistaken. I think there's a little bit of Slytherin in you," he added appreciatively.

Then he looked at Damaris and pointed a finger at her. "Don't even think about casting your damn boil curse on me." He sighed, lowering his hand, and let his wand dangle between his digits, tip prodding at the wet sand. "Ryan is not the problem," he told her. "Her friends are mostly idiots, but she's not." We all know to whom he was referring, but Killian wouldn't put her in the middle of that rivalry.

"So, pull each other's hair, scratch each other's eyes out, but, leave me out of it, because... I. Don't. Bloody-well. Care. Are you both idiots? Do you even know what you're fighting about?"

Killian stood and looked down at them. Rolling his eyes, he turned and headed back towards the castle.

Professor Fjord

Patrol outside during the winter months was never a fun assignment. For one, most of the kids were indoors anyways, and the few that were outside in the cold probably needed to be told to get back in anyways. As much as she loved teaching, patrols were one aspect that she just didn't really enjoy for a multitude of reasons. The winter months in particular were just bad due to the cold. She clutched a cup of some warm concoction that the house elves made up for her (she loved her coffee, they got her preference absolutely perfect each time. Thank Merlin for House Elves), and observed the few students that were out by the lakeside. It seemed all fun and games until one ended up in the lake. 

Kirsi made her way over as fast as she could, but another student seemed to make it there before her. Picking up the pace, she witnessed the newcomer pulling out their wand and casting a couple of knockback jinxes. It was fine in the chamber, but not fine when students were using it to force others into the water outside the chamber. That angered Kirsi more. 

"Dracel!" She shouted. "There is to be no spellwork outside of class, especially used forcefully against other students. Detention and 10 points from Slytherin. As for you two..." She looked at the soaking-wet students. "I would like you to tell me the full story. Don't leave out details, I will find out."

Damaris Denton

Damaris scoffed at Ryan. “Maybe ask your weird friend why he keeps trying to get me to spend time with him even after I have repeatedly said no.” Ryan was the second person not to believe her, which annoyed her even though she was mad at Ryan for entirely unrelated reasons. She scoffed again when she said she wasn’t the victim there, because as far as she was concerned, it was crystal clear that she was.

The words Ryan said were not unlike the ones that Molly had said to her, but with Molly it was easy to brush them off. But coming from Ryan? They felt intentional. They felt personal. As far as she was concerned every horrible thing that she’d said about Ryan had just been proven to be 100% accurate. The Hufflepuff pretended to be nice and sweet, but she really wasn’t. She would have praised herself for seeing through the Hufflepuff, but there wasn’t time for that at that moment.

She had half a mind to punch that ugly, smug smile off of Ryan’s face when a knockback jinx zoomed out of nowhere. It may have been April, nearly May, but the Black Lake was cold and she was pretty sure that there was algae in her hair, mud in her shoes, and—was something trying to crawl up her leg?

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” She snapped. “She’s insane!” Because clearly, Ryan was spouting off lies left and right. Damaris didn’t believe for a second that Killian could be friends with someone like Ryan.

But when Killian spoke, she instantly felt embarrassed. This was worse than a professor intervening, by about a factor of ten. She would have pointed out that it sounded like he was complimenting Ryan for lashing out at her, but she was too embarrassed at the moment to even really look directly at him. 

She opened her mouth to say something when he said that Ryan wasn’t the problem, because clearly, he was horribly mistaken if he thought Ryan wasn’t the same or possibly even worse than her friends, but she thought better of it and closed her mouth. She saved the remark and the incident for later, because something told her there’d be a chance for her to say it again in the future. 

But as horribly embarrassed as she was (and how horribly, horribly wrong she thought he was for not seeing through the Hufflepuff as she had), she had to admit that she respected him for diffusing the situation as he had. “Fine,” she replied, “Consider it gone.” If she didn’t use the boil curse around Kaleb and she didn’t use it around Juan, then there wasn’t really a question that she owed him the same.

She definitely knew what she and Ryan were fighting about now, but she supposed that he was right. This was dumb. “I see you again and I’ll hex you so hard you’ll be a Gryffindor,” Damaris grumbled to Ryan as she got up, prepared to put the whole incident behind her—or at the very least, come up with a more creative way to put the Hufflepuff in her place that Killian wouldn’t find out about.

And that was when the day went from bad to worse to even worse, because an actual professor showed up, taking points off Killian for…that was a rule? Somehow Damaris had been at the school for close to an entire year but forgotten that was a rule—wasn’t this a magical school? How were they supposed to practice magic if none was allowed outside of class? She blinked.

She shook her head when the professor took points off Killian and gave him a detention. “No, professor, you shouldn’t do that. None of this is his fault, so no points should be taken. Definitely shouldn’t get a detention, either.” It was, she supposed, at least 90% her fault, if not more. “He shouldn’t get a detention or anything because of some weird rule.” Seriously, did it even make sense for it to be a rule?

“The truth is,” she took a breath, wondering whether it would be better to tell the truth or lie here. Lately it hadn’t really seemed like it was beneficial to tell the truth, because people assumed that she was lying anyway. But, she supposed, maybe if she told enough of the truth she could get Killian out of trouble? “This is between me and Ryan. She said something horribly out-of-line and it got me mad, even though I know better. Killian was just trying to stop us from fighting, that’s um…that’s not a reason to get detention.” She furrowed her brows at the thought. 

Ryan Alterton

Ryan hadn't expected to be thrown into the lake again, only this time by Killian. His fierce tone immediately cut out any anger she had toward Damaris. The Hufflepuff wasn't okay with the Killian being mean to her, but she understood why he was. Though, her mouth dropped open when he called her an idiot. Finally pulling herself out of the water and officially beginning to shiver from its iciness, she folded her arms across her chest and opened her mouth to explain that she absolutely did know why they were fighting; because Damaris was mean and Ryan had finally had enough of it. However, her eyes widened to comic proportions when Professor Fjord stopped everything.

Oh my god. Oh my god

This was now the second time she'd been caught by professors and faculty at Hogwarts. Already imagining the letter that would be sent home, Ryan tried her best not to start crying. She was trembling now for an entirely different reason. The Hufflepuff had gotten out of control. She'd let her anger toward Damaris get the best of her. She was disappointed in herself. And now James would know that she'd gotten into trouble for fighting and he would owl her with statements like, 'This isn't who you are, Ry Ry' and 'I can imagine this happening with Riley, but never from you'.

From the moment that their Astronomy professor had arrived, Ry's eyes had focused on the ground in front of her, but they lifted immediately when she heard Damaris blame the entire situation on her. Trying her best to control herself this time, Ryan shook her head at Professor Fjord. "Please, Professor! I wasn't even bothering Damaris at all. I was just standing at the lake and she came over and pushed me in! For no reason at all. She said it was for revenge. We dueled in the Chamber a bit ago and I cast a Shower Charm at her and she said that was why she pushed me in! But it was dueling! And she calls me 'fattie' all the time. I try to ignore her, but today I got too angry. I'm so sorry. I said some mean things to her that I shouldn't have, but then she cast a Boil Curse at me! She says I'm being fake by being nice all the time, but it's not true!"

The entire situation finally got to the tall Hufflepuff and Ryan began to cry. "It's not an excuse for me saying those mean things." She turned to Damaris. "I'm sorry for saying mean things to you, Damaris." She turned back to Professor Fjord. "I accept whatever punishment you give me." Fat tears slid down her cheeks. Whatever Professor Fjord came up with was nothing compared to the knowledge that James was going to be disappointed in her.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.