Claribel MacLeod

Show Me Your Good Side

26 posts in this topic

Claribel eagerly ran out of the classroom. It was such a beautiful day. She could feel the sunshine on her cheeks as she smiled up to the cloudless sky. The perfect lighting for taking photos she thought. She reached into her knapsack and pulled out the old camera she had found in her attic. As she refilled the film she looked around at all the other children. Some were playing, others were chatting with other students, some were just sitting on the ground or by the fountain reading. Who should I choose. She thought. Going over the options in her head she quickly chose someone and raised her camera up to take a photo. 

Snap!

Nice days were the worst. Or, at least, they were the worst for reading. While Julian always appreciated good lighting, there definitely was such a thing as too much light. And he didn’t appreciate having to constantly squint against the glare coming from the page he was trying to read. He had finally had enough and was about to try to find a better place to sit than next to the fountain, when an odd clicking noise made him freeze.

Looking up, he was surprised to see a girl in his class standing a few feet away, holding a camera that was pointed in his general direction. With a frown, he walked towards her.

“Were you - um - taking pictures of me?” he asked, once he’d reached her. He wasn’t positive she’d been aiming at him, but if she was, the idea made him a little uncomfortable.  “Could you maybe... not?”

Having made his request, he turned to go when a thought assaulted him, forcing him to turn back.

“Oh, is that a regular camera you’ve got? Or is it like a magical one?” Julian wasn’t sure there were magical cameras, per se, but he’d definitely noticed that pictures in the wizarding world moved and he really wanted to understand how.

"Yup!" She smiled as he asked her if she was taking a photo of him. "I'm gonna make a scrapbook with pictures of everyone so we can remember this summer." Seeing the uncomfortable look he was giving her she felt a little bad. "Sorry. I'll take photos of someone else."

She looked around as he walked away. Who else could she take a photo of? Maybe she could get a good photo of the fountain. Hearing the boys voice again she turned around. She smiled as he asked her questions.

"No this is just a regular camera. It's old. It uses film, see?" She took the newly printed photo and handed it to the boy. "I'd really like to get a magic camera though. I like how the pictures in magical newspapers move and I wanna take photos like that." Suddenly a thought came into her head. "Are your parents magic? Do you have books magic books and things?"

"You could always take a photograph of me," Hazel said as she approached two fellow classmates in the warm grass of Crystal Fountain Park. She loved the way cameras worked, magical or non-magical. "Julian has a wonderful smile, but he doesn't seem to share it that often."

Hazel had been coloring with magic color-changing chalk along the side walk. She had found the dusty bucket of chalk in the art room, and the creative spark in her immediately lit up. She had spent the past half hour drawing flowers up and down the pavement; her dress, hands, and stockings were covered in dust that kept changing colors.

"Did you know," Hazel began with a small smile toward the red headed girl, "That it shouldn't be that hard to make those photographs move. It's just a simple charm. I bet Mr. McRobbie or Mrs. Blithe could do it."

She looked over at Julian with a teasing look in her eye, "Then we can watch Julian's face when he sees you've taken a picture of him."

It seemed that his request not to be photographed had come too late. The camera had been an instant camera and he looked a little crestfallen at the picture the girl had handed him. Although it wasn’t so much the picture that made him feel awkward, as the idea of the girl taking it. It was distracting to know someone had a camera on you when you were trying to do something else, and photos you were supposed to pose for weren’t much better. He hated having to pretend to smile.  

Unsure of what to do with the picture, he stuffed it into the front pocket of his hoodie as he tried to answer her question.

“They are not magic, no. But I do have my Hogwarts books.” He wasn’t sure those ones counted, though. They weren’t so much magic themselves as they were about magic.

Although the girl had agreed not to photograph him anymore, Julian was relieved when they were interrupted by Hazel volunteering to be photographed, though his eyes widened a fraction when she commented on his smile. What was he supposed to say to that?

Thankfully, she moved on quickly and he was happy to seize the change of subject, and not just because Hazel had just solved the mystery of the moving pictures.

“Oh, so it’s not the camera? Although, I guess maybe you could charm the camera itself to have the effect. Er… could you?” he turned to Hazel for confirmation.

“And… I guess we could, although I don’t know why you’d want to see my face.” There were a lot of things it would actually be interesting to have a moving picture of. Like the bowtruckles. Or the two-headed newts. Or Hazel, whose hands and clothes were covered in a powdery substance that was flashing different colours.

“What is that on your hands, anyway?”

Claribel snapped a picture as the girl twirled. As they continued to talk her smile grew wider and wider.

"Oh yes, lets" She said instinctivly grabbing the arm of this new girl. "We can also give them the picture I took of you. That will look so pretty because we can watch you twirl." She took the photo out of the cameras slot and showed the girl as she spoke. "Do you think it'll be very difficult to charm the photos? Will it take very long?"

In her head she imagined the moving pictures and smiled to herself. "I"m going to have the best scrapbook. Should we ask the teachers now or take some more photos first and get them all charmed at the same time?"

Hazel giggled at the typical stream questions that spouted from Julian almost immediately, "I suppose you could. I don't know if the cameras would be as instant as the one she has," she replied and as an afterthought, she added, "We could ask one of the teachers."

His curiosity intrigued her, and she was always really glad to answer as much as she could. His second question brought back the attention to the mess Hazel had made of herself. She looked herself over as she tried to dust the excess off of her hands (only making her clothes more colorful). She loved the way her dress moved against the colors, and she spun around to watch it poof out around her. As she stopped, she heard the sound of a camera.

"It's color-changing chalk. I was coloring over there," she gestured to the pavement that was now shining bright blu- no, yellow.

She felt the girl grab onto her arm, and her attention was pulled back to the bubbliest person she had ever met.

"I'd love to see how they turned out." The small red-head had an energy that was infectious, and Hazel felt a new burst of excitement spread over her, "I don't think it takes very long. If we do take more pictures, I'd love to see some of the flowers from the garden. Maybe we can find a few animals too!"

She took the picture that she was given, and beamed at the cloud of colors surrounding her dancing figure, "Can I see yours, Julian?"

Edited by Hazel Wheeler
i keep forgetting to change my font :(

“Oh, we definitely should, then,” Julian said in reply to Hazel’s suggestion that they ask one of the teachers. It seemed to him that if they charmed the instant camera, there was no reason why it would become any less instant. Unless it took a long time to develop moving pictures. But if the developing time was a factor, maybe what needed to be charmed was the photographic paper.

Almost as if she’d read his mind earlier, the redheaded girl snapped a picture of Hazel as she was spinning, sending clouds of what he now knew to be colour-changing chalk into the air.

“Oh, that’s neat,” he replied. “I didn’t know the school had colour changing chalk.” But what would be really neat would be if the charmed pictures could reproduce the effect of the spell on the chalk. Peering over Hazel’s shoulder to look at her picture, he was happy to notice that small cloud of coloured powder had definitely been captured, as well as the chalk that still clung to her clothes. Her picture would be really interesting once charmed. His, on the other hand…

“It’s not very interesting,” he muttered, as he took the photograph to pass it to Hazel. He paused for a second to gaze at his own face, which was frozen in a squint directed at his lap, before handing it over.

He was torn on whether they should take more pictures or just go and ask about the charm. Hazel seemed really excited about the prospect of finding more things to photograph and he couldn’t help but get caught in it, just a little bit.

“Well, it’s your camera,” he told the redheaded girl, a slight grin making its way into his features. “So I suppose it’s up to you. But there are some bowtruckles over there, that it’d be cool to photograph.” He pointed in the general direction of the trees.

Edited by Julian Pritchard

"Oh that's a good idea." Claribel said, starting off in the direction of the tree.

"I'm Claribel by the way," She said as she walked. "You can call me Clara if you want. My mums a witch but I was raised by my Dad so this is all pretty new to me. I'm really excited to be here learning about magic."

As she finished that sentence she suddenly caught a glimpse of what they had been talking about. In the tree was a little fairy like thing floating about. It looked a bit like a twig or a leaf. She had barely noticed it but now that she'd seen it she couldn't look away. She slowly walked towards the tree, tiptoeing so she wouldn't scare the creature. She brought her camera up and clicked the button.

Snap

A bright flash came over the whole tree, drawing the attention of the little creature.

Edited by Claribel MacLeod

"Not very interesting?" Hazel queried as she accepted the picture from Julian, "I have to disagree. This picture shows a lot about who you are."

She could almost see the furrowing of Julian's brow as he read his book and it was as if the picture was moving already. She blinked before handing back the picture with a smile. Hazel pocketed the picture of herself into her jumper as she waited for the group to come to a decision. Her thoughts were drawn to the idea of making a photo shoot centered around Mrs. Blithe's pig, Pancake.

At the mention of bowtruckles, Hazel's eyes lit up as she looked over at Julian, "Are there Bowtruckle's here? We must get a picture of them. I've never seen one up close before. What are they like? Are they shy? Did you get to hold one?"

Claribel set off almost immediately with her camera, and Hazel had to pause her questions in order to keep up, "I'm Hazel. My mum's a muggle, and my dad's a wizard. I've been raised in both worlds, but I do enjoy magic very much."

Conversation came very easy to Hazel, and she was glad that so many of her fellow classmates were so nice. It was wonderful to get to know so many different people of so many different backgrounds. She turned to ask Julian more about the bowtruckles, but a bright flash distracted her.

"Oh dear!" her exclamation rang loud, and her hand went to cover the lens of the camera, "Be careful! That flash may scare them away, or even worse, hurt their eyes!" Hazel fiddled with her fingers as worry racked her body, and she hoped that maybe the group of bowtruckles would be alright. Thankfully, the flash had simply only grabbed the attention of the creature. Hazel breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh thank goodness," she muttered.

Edited by Hazel Wheeler

Julian took the picture back from Hazel with a shrug and put it back into his pocket. While it was true that the picture was pretty representative of how he spent his time, he felt like one probably didn’t need the picture to figure that one out.

Much to his delight, his suggestion that they go and take a picture of bowtruckles went over well. Perhaps a little too well. With some apprehension, he tried to quickly answer all of Hazel’s questions as he followed Clara to the trees.

“Yes! Avory showed them to me. They look like little twigs. Well, with eyes,” he added, speaking fast as he walked. “And I don’t know. I suppose they are. They don’t run away but they usually stay very still so they’ll camouflage. I’ve never really tried to pick them up. The book says they’re very protective of their tree and I didn’t  want them to feel threatened. Just be careful that doesn’t have -”

It was too late. The flash had gone off. Joining in Hazel’s apprehension, he held his breath as he waited to see what the bowtruckle did, breathing out sharply in relief when it didn’t seem angry or upset or in pain.

Walking up to Clara, he looked at her somewhat reproachfully.

“You want to be careful with bowtruckles,” he told her. “I read they can be pretty aggressive if you upset them.” He paused for a second. “Can I see the picture?”

Seeing the worried looks on the other kids' faces Claribel frowned and let the camera down. Hopefully the other kids wouldn't hold it against her. "I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to hurt them." The bowtruckle didn't seem hurt though. It shrugged off the momentary shock and continued on its way. She took the photo from the camera. "On the bright side we got a neat photo out of it."

She handed the photo of a stunned bowtruckle to Julian.

"I can't stop the camera from making that flash." She said as Julian looked over the photo. "Maybe we should find something less sensitive to photograph. Like Hazel was saying we could take photos of the flowers or find some other animal."

Hazel was utterly relieved when she found out that the bowtruckles weren't harmed or really affected by the flash of the camera. It was clear that Claribel hadn't meant to cause such a problem, and Hazel immediately made an effort to assuage her.

"It's okay! I know you didn't mean to," Hazel shot her a smile, "Though it is probably best that we don't mess with the animals anymore. That picture will look really lovely though!"

She turned to Julian, "They are breathtaking. I haven't really studied much on magical creatures, but my dad works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. He brings all sorts of stuff about animals home from work."

Claribel's mention of flowers stole Hazel's attention away, and she turned to her with a newfound light in her eyes. Passion flowed through her veins, and she almost danced on the spot at the idea, "Have you seen the garden? I personally love watering all of the plants! I think the carnations may be in bloom. It should be late enough in the summer."

Edited by Hazel Wheeler

Julian took the picture from Claribel with a distracted nod and turned his head to the tree once more to check on the bowtruckle. It really did appear fine and none of the other bowtruckles had shown up in response to the camera’s flash, so it seemed no harm had been done. He wondered if these were unusually easy-going bowtruckles, used as they must be to having children poking around their tree.

Finally turning his gaze to the actual picture, he nodded in agreement with Clara.

“Yeah, it really is a good picture, though I don’t suppose the bowtruckle will do very much once it’s charmed. Blink maybe.”

As Hazel told him about what her dad did for a living, Julian couldn’t help but think about how hard it would probably be to be in charge of making sure all those creatures he kept reading about stayed hidden from non-wizarding folk, given how big and dangerous some of them could get. Like dragons.

“Oh, what does your dad do for that department? What kind of animals do you get to see? Does he work with dragons?” Julian didn’t know how likely that was, but he had to ask. There were few things he wanted more from the wizarding world than having the chance to see a dragon.

Flowers, on the other hand, he couldn’t really bring himself to care much about. Still, he wanted to see how the pictures turned out once charmed, so he’d stick through Clara photographing some carnations if he had to.

“And maybe we could do Pancake after,” he suggested.

"You're Dad works with magical creatures?" Claribel's eyes lit up at the exciting news. "Do you get to keep any as pets? Are they very dangerous? Do you ever get to visit his work?" Claribel excitedly bombarded Hazel between Julian's questions. She hadn't seen many magical creatures before and she was sure there must be plenty of interesting ones. It then struck her that Hazel's dad worked for the goverment. She hadn't thought much about the ministry but she had heard that they had one that was seperate from the government of Britain. She'd been trying to get some information about it but her Mum seemed to think she was to young to be talking about politics. She'd have to ask Hazel later about it when they weren't so focused on animals.

She was happy to see Hazel's excitement at the mention of flowers. Claribel didn't know much about flowers but she did know that they would look very pretty in photos. And perhaps these flowers were magical? Who knows what they could do? When Julian mentioned pancake that seemed much more exciting to her. Pancake seemed to have plenty of energy and seeing him move around in the photo would be super neat.

"Yeah!" She said before looking back over to Hazel and seeing her excitement about the flowers. "Er... We'll take some flower photos first. Then we'll go find Pancake. Over there then." She pointed towards where the flowers seemed to be and upon getting confirmation began to walk.

In response to both of their series of questions, Hazel blinked. She suddenly felt overwhelmed and immediately took a step back in order for her brain to refocus on the situation at hand. A giggle escaped her as she tilted her head to the side. In the wizard community, it was very common for people to be working for the ministry - hundreds of members worked for them. So when Hazel realized the two that accompanied her were confused, it struck her how careful she needed to be in her explanations. It wasn't commonplace for them. It was all new and exciting.

"He's mainly a part of the section that does stuff out on the field finding animals that have been spotted by muggles. That way they can take them back to where they belong safely," She said as she twirled a strand of hair around her finger, "Dad brought home a niffler once, but it started stealing some of our items almost immediately. Then there was that time we had an occamy in a kettle. He usually doesn't bring things home because he likes to keep work out of family stuff. We have loads of animals at our house that are pets, though."

Hazel started counting on her fingers as she listed off animals, "There's Daisy the pigmy puff, Oz the dog, Bigglesworth and Hera the owls, Imogene the augurey, my brother, Charlie's, toad named Frog, and there are a bunch of flitterbys and gnomes in the garden. None of the animals we watch or keep are dangerous, but most magical creatures don't get the love they deserve."

"I haven't really been to the ministry that often, actually. One time I went with my mum to bring dad some lunch," She looked over at Julian, "No, my dad doesn't work with dragons. I think my uncle did at one point, but when my cousin was born he switched over to working with my dad."

The other two seemed disinterested at the mention of flowers, and she felt bad for even bringing it up. Her mother would have chastised her for not doing what her friends wanted first. She tried to get Claribel's attention before she walked too far by raising her voice, "We could just go and take pictures of Pancake. I can always take pictures of flowers later. They don't do much anyway."

Edited by Hazel Wheeler

It was clear, given Claribel’s questions, that Julian wasn’t the only one who found Hazel’s dad work fascinating. And it made perfect sense. Julian could scarcely think of a cooler job than working with magical creatures. Perhaps being a spell inventor or something, but he wasn’t even sure that was a job.

Had Hazel just giggled? Julian looked at her quizzically as he waited for her to respond to their torrent of questions. When she did, he was kind of disappointed to hear that none of Hazel’s family members worked with dragons - though it had being something of a long shot. He also couldn’t fight the tiny pang of jealousy as she started listing all of the animals that lived in her home. At that moment, he would’ve gladly exchanged his own dad for Hazel’s.

Thankfully, he couldn’t dwell too much on that particular thought because he’d recognised one of the creature names from his Fantastic Beasts book.

“You have an augurey? That is so cool. I didn’t even know you could have those as pets. Did you know that people used to think that their caw foretold death?” He was so excited the words were out before he realized that, Hazel owning an augurey and being the daughter of a man who probably worked with them regularly, she probably did know that.

“Yeah, that’s true,” Julian agreed when Hazel told them they should move onto photographing Pancake first, even though he was a little confused. He could’ve sworn that Hazel had been really excited about flowers just a minute ago. Sometimes, people were just very strange, though, and he wasn’t about to complain. Pancake was one of his favourite things about Pre-Hogwarts Primary. “Pictures of flowers would probably not be very interesting even charmed. I guess they could sway in the wind or something.”

"No, lets do the flowers." Said Claribel. She was determined not to let Hazel's excitement go to waste. "Flowers don't move around that much so they won't take long. We can take a photo on the way." She began to walk towards the flowers.

"I've never heard of an augurey before. Is that some kind of bird?" She asked as she walked. She couldn't imagine having that many pets. Her mother only had one dog and that was plenty of work. It would be nice to be able to take care of lots of creatures though. Maybe one day she would have magical pets. She wondered what sort of animals lived at hogwarts.

"There they are." Claribel declared once they had come upon a pretty bed of flowers. She brought up her camera and quickly snapped a picture. "Hey, Hazel! Maybe you should sit by the flowers and you can be in it."

"Oh, yes, Imogene is lovely. I think her song sounds quite beautiful. It's actually just a sign that it's supposed to rain. When I was little I used to sing with her. She resides in our kitchen, and she just loves my mum," She said to Julian as his excited tone sent a smile to her face. Hazel loved Imogene - just as much as the other animals in her house - and she enjoyed watching the bird as she ate breakfast at the dining table. Hearing her song every now and again reminded Hazel how beautiful and special creatures actually were.

Hazel felt crushed when she realized that Julian was as ready to give up on flowers as she had thought. It's not like flowers were as much of an interest to others as they were to her. She couldn't have expected either of them to want to take a journey just to look at plants. She hid the shame well though (or so she thought), pausing to look down at her toes and suddenly that blade of grass was very interesting. Anything to hide the look on her face.

Claribel came to her rescue however, and Hazel jerked her head up as the girl proceeded to encourage the idea of flowers, "We really don't have -" But the girl was already on her way. Hazel quickly moved to step in time with Claribel as they headed to the garden.

"Yeah, auguery is a type of magical bird. They are rather large and are very grey. Imogene is absolutely beautiful," Hazel sighed as she tried to recollect the excitement she had before. They turned the corner and came across the lovely view of colors. That was all it took.

"Here are the carnations!" Hazel beamed as Clara took a quick picture of the garden, "Look at the rings of red and pink bleeding into the white on the petals. They are marvelous."

She sat amongst the flowers as Claribel had said and blew a kiss to the camera before her bright smile reappeared on her face.

“Yeah, I read about that too!” Julian responded when Hazel mentioned that the augurey cry was actually related to rain. “It seems like it would be pretty useful, although I suppose you could always just check the weather forecast or something. I wonder if an augurey is more accurate, though, since it’s magical.”

Julian couldn’t help but be a little disappointed when Claribel insisted they go to the flowers but he trailed after her, hands in his pockets, listening to Hazel explain to her what an Augurey was.  

“I think they’re supposed to look like phoenixes, only with a different colour scheme,” he added to Hazel’s explanation. He wasn’t sure how helpful a comparison to a phoenix would be. Since, much like himself, Claribel had probably never seen one. But Julian had seen pictures of them before and they weren’t all that different from the one depicted in the PHP mural, so hopefully, his added note wasn’t entirely useless.

“Oh,” he turned to Hazel, a question suddenly popping into his mind, but she had moved to the flowers to pose for a photograph.

Impatiently, Julian waited for Claribel to finish taking and for Hazel to finish talking about how pretty the carnations were before he burst out with his question.

“Have you ever seen a phoenix? Does your dad work with them too?”

Claribel eagerly listened as Hazel and Julian described the Augurey, trying to retain as much information as she could. She must remember to find a book on magical creatures when she arrives at hogwarts, or maybe when she goes to get her books she can pick one up. It was one of many subjects she wanted to do more research on.  

The photo came out very pretty. The colour of the flowerbed really popped and Hazel looked so cheerful amongst them. Claribel wasn't sure it would look much better when it was moving but at least it would look pretty in her scrapbook.

When Julian burst into their conversation about flowers with a question Claribel couldn't help but shift her focus. She too was curious about what kind of creatures Hazel's dad might work with.

After the click of the camera, Hazel's focus immediately shifted to the outburst coming from Julian. It seemed to be that his questions about magical creatures weren't being answered as they came to his mind. Hazel got up from beside the carnations in order to join their circle of conversation again.

"Yeah! My dad has worked with phoenixes, and he says his favorite part is being able to see them be born again from the ashes," Hazel said before looking down at her clothes to make sure there wasn't any dirt on them. After it cleared her quick inspection she turned her attention back to Julian, "I've never seen one face-to-face, though."

She looked over at Claribel, "Can I see how it turned out?" She hoped Claribel mainly got the flowers. That was the only thing Hazel cared about anyway.

"Also, should we head to Pancaked next?" Hazel asked the group as she extended her hand in order to receive the photograph.

Julian nodded at Hazel’s suggestion that they head to Pancake, and started moving in that direction, eager to get the group moving on from the flowers. Even, though, technically, it still was Claribel’s choice.

He was kind of disappointed to find out that Hazel had never seen a phoenix, though he supposed it made sense. His Beasts book had not left him with the impression that phoenixes were common, exactly.

“I’d really like to see that,” he said in reply. “The chick being born again. It’s kind of crazy that such a big and complex animal can come back from literal ashes.” Of course, most of what he had heard and seen about magical creatures was pretty unbelievable. But there were certainly levels of crazy and phoenixes were something else.

“Although,” he added, excitedly, “there are some non-magical creatures that do similar things. There’s a jellyfish that goes back to its baby state when it gets hurt or can’t find food and can technically live forever. Or its genes, anyway.” He frowned. He wasn’t really all that clear about the life cycle of jellyfishes, even though he’d watched a documentary with his parents about the immortal jellyfish. He’d have to check when he got home.

“In any case, they’re much tinier and simpler than phoenixes.”

Edited by Julian Pritchard

Claribel cheerfully handed the photos to Hazel to look at before following Julian to find pancake. As much as she was glad they had stopped by the flowers she was happy to be moving on to Pancake. 

"Really?" Hazel said listening eagerly to Julians talk about jellyfish. "That's so cool. Who would have thought a creature like that wouldn't even be magic." She would have to look that up when she got home. She didn't spend a whole lot of time learning about animals but after this conversation she wondered if she should. "I suppose theres some pretty crazy stuff in this world, magic or not." 

Hazel gladly took the picture from Claribel with a smile, and her smile widened when she saw the carnations filling up the background behind her seated figure.  It was nice to imagine the flowers swaying from the breeze as she blew a kiss to the camera. She thought the picture would turn out really great, and would probably ask Claribel if she could keep the image herself.

"My dad said it was one of his favorite things about the job. Seeing a phoenix be born from its ashes is a really cool sight, according to him," she said to Julian as she handed the photograph back to Claribel.

"I got stung by a jellyfish when I was six on while my family was on vacation in America. The fact that they can live forever makes them much cooler. I still don't like them very much, though," Hazel joined Julian as they headed toward the school, "Magical creatures are quite interesting. I do think most of them look like mutated versions of non-magical animals, however. Have you seen a crup?"

"I think we should stop by and grab my lunch box. I bet we could get better pictures from Pancake if we gave him some of my apples," Hazel said. She should probably also try and clean more of this color-changing chalk off. I would look quite silly with purple splatters all over me... Make that ora-no blu- no pink...