Selena Watkins

Muggle Magic

6 posts in this topic

Late December

London

It was such an amazing coincidence how close Fern and Selena lived to each other. Their families only lived a few blocks from each other. If they hadn't been asking each other about their Christmas plans, the two may have never figured it out. So when Fern invited Selena over to her house during the break, she could hardly contain her excitement. Over the past year and a half Fern had mentioned all these magical muggle things like tell-a-visions and tell-a-phones. It was only after a few questions she realized not everything in the muggle world began with tell-a-. There was this whole new world to explore and her roommate happened to be the doorway into it. Her father had insisted on at least coming along to make sure she had the right address. Selena gave a quick rap on the door, getting a bit nervous to see what this non magical house looked like on the inside. 

How two witches could live in the same dorm together, eat meals together, go to class together, and still hang out in their free time and not know that they were practically neighbors was beyond Fern. They'd talked about their lives in London before Hogwarts, what their parents did, and constantly compared their muggle versus wizard norms, but this had slipped right through the cracks. 

It was the perfect weekend for Selena to come to the Blackburn residence, too. Harvey, her little brother, was at their gran's house for the night, so they could have free range of the iPad and watch whatever they wanted to with their online streaming without anyone to compromise with. After all this time, she was so excited to share technology with her roommate. Not to mention, Alisa Blackburn, Fern's mum, had plenty of treats from the bakery for just this occasion, though those were nothing new for the pair of Ravenclaws. Fern always shared what came in her care packages. 

"I'll get it!" she called out dreamily and bounced down the stairs, beating her parents to the door by just half a second. "Mum. Dad." The almost thirteen year old glared at her father for a few moments, with her brows raised. He was also so skeptical about Hogwarts, and the friends she had there, and what their wizard parents might do for a living- as if being a Muggle car salesman was extraordinary work. "Please be nice, she's one of my best friends." 

And with that, she opened the door to see the blonde with and her father next to her. The one who was a herbologist. Merlin, did she have questions for him, but now was not the time. "Lena!" she squealed, giving her friend a hug as if it'd been ages since they'd seen each other. "Mr. Watkins." she said very formally, before opening the door all the way. "Come on in! Oh, I've got loads to show you.." she said in a quieter tone to Selena as they entered her house. 

(post 1,000 for Selena my love <3)

Selena was practically bouncing on the doorstep when she heard Fern's voice on the other side. They got the address right and her friend was just on the other side of the door. It was so surreal making a house visit and they lived so close to each other that visiting at any time should never be a problem. She was already thinking of ways to spend the summer with her.

"Fern!" Selena squeeled excitedly and returned her friend's hug. "This is so amazing I can't believe I'm here!" She glanced around from what she could see of the house. It looked normal save from the few pieces of muggle technology she could see that she didn't really understand. She mimicked Fern's own introduction and nodded her head towards her parents. "Mr. and Mrs. Blackburn. It's very nice to meet you."  Before entering the house and grinning at her roommate. "I can't wait to see it all."

Her father also entered, extending his hand out to Fern's father. "Hi I'm Jack. I thought it would be good to come and meet you both."

But what happened with their parents didn't concern Selena one bit she just wanted to spent time with her roommate in this crazy new environment. She just looked around in awe at everything she could see. "This is so cool."

The pair of Ravenclaws stood and watched their parents greet each other, Fern tilting her head to the side and her blue eyes narrowing as she scrutinized her father's every move. Clint Blackburn took Jack's extended hand and gave it a firm, friendly shake, and his work personality came out, the friendly salesman persona. "Right, of course. Welcome, it's a pleasure." he responded as he offered Selena's dad a cup of tea. Fern took the opportunity to tug on Selena's sleeve and lead her further into her home.

Stop number one: The living room. "There-" she opened both arms dramatically and gestured to the screen mounted on the wall. "- is the television. Of course, you've seen one of those by now." There was a tv that somehow had been charmed to work inside the school, but did it have one-hundred and fifty channels of mostly nothing, plus online streaming attached to it? No. "And there is my mum's computer. It's ancient. No one uses it but her, and she spend half her time swearing at it.." the brunette babbled a bit too much information as always.

Next, she led her roommate to the kitchen. "This is a light switch. I reckon you've seen these before too.." she said as she flicked the lights on and off, grateful for modern electricity. It was one of those things she never realized how much she missed until she was back home. "Microwave, it heats your food up in like, two minutes.." she continued the tour, mostly pointing out the electrical and muggle items in her house rather than showing her the rooms in specific.

"And if we go upstairs.. I can show you my phone and iPad, where we can use the internet." she said with a twinkle in her eye, now that they'd made full circle of the first floor and were back in the foyer so Selena could say bye to her dad. 

Just as Fern watched her father, Selena glanced over to look at her own. They did live in a more muggle neighbor hood so he must know something about them...right? But she didn't get to see what happened next because Fern decided she needed to show her all the different parts of the house. There were some things she recognized immediately. The tv, while bigger and flatter than the one from the school still kind of made sense. The light switch was something else she saw. Her house was filled with them afterall. They lived in the middle of muggle London, her papa had said they needed to keep up appearances or something by using electricity and gas and such for bills or something? She didn't really understand it.

The computer had been the thing that fascinated her. It looked like a smaller version of the tv but with extra things attached to it. Of course it was something that didn't belong to Fern. To be fair they were like thirteen and still lived at home for the rest of the year they weren't at school. The electrical appliances were really neat. Selena was sure she was going to have to ask her dad for some of this stuff by the end of her stay. 

They made their way back up to the door where their dad's had been talking about....dad things? Whatever it was that adults talked about when they weren't around anyways. Selena wrapped her arms around her father. After murmuring quick good byes and kisses, he was off. The moment the door was shut, Lena turned back to Fern and grinned. "I have no idea what an ipad or the internet is but I'm still really excited."

Finally, the parents were done chatting, Selena bid her goodbyes, and now the two witches were left standing in the foyer with Fern's parents. "Right, well now that Selena has seen the rest of the house, we're going to my room. Bye!" she said enthusiastically as her mum just rolled her eyes and nudged her father to follow him into the living room to let the girls do their thing and be pre-teens. 

The brunette locked eyes with her friend and motioned for her to follow her up the stairs, where she skipped up them two at a time. These were a lot more simple than the ones at school. She lead the way down the hall and opened the door to the last room in the hallways- her bedroom- and flicked on the light switch.

Fern's room was neat and tidy, with two shelves of books and lots of plants- on her desk, hanging in the front of the windows, and vines crawling down the sides of her bookshelf. She sat on her bed and picked up her iPad, unplugging it from it's charger. "Oh, you can have a seat wherever.." she raised her arm and circled it across the room, but the only options were next to her on her bed or on the chair tucked under her desk. "So.. this is an iPad! It's like.." she paused. She probably should have thought of how to describe it before Selena was here, but the problem was that she had yet to think of a way she could explain it so it makes sense to her friends raised in the wizarding world.

"It's entertainment and information all in one. You can watch tv shows or movies, like the ones we've seen at school except so much better. Or play electronic games.. but most of all, the internet." she said as she pushed the square that opened up the browser. "We can look up pretty much anything we want, about anything, or anyone, that we want." Seriously, Fern had looked up everything from puppy videos, to what Saturn's rings were made of, to when was the best time to plant herbs for summer harvest, to her aunt's facebook account. 

"So.. anything you want to look up?"