Mr Ford

Tour the Grounds with Mr Ford

19 posts in this topic

Tour the Grounds with Mr. Ford

Groundskeeper Event #1

OOC: Please wait for Bryony to post. Going to try to keep this to short rps (100 - 200 WC) to keep the thread moving along. And remember, there is a surprise in this thread. If you missed the signups and wish to join, feel free to PM.

It was time.

Time for Connor’s first tour as a groundskeeper. He had languished around for the better part of the term, as he was prone to do. There was no way on earth Connor would ever be caught doing his real job. This was a lot more fun.

“Over here!” he called out to the small groups of students that had signed up for this tour. “I’m Connor, by the way. Do not call me Mr. Ford or else you’re not getting the prize I promised after the end of this tour.” Connor was lying, but he hoped the students would believe him. He did not want them calling him Mr. Ford when he was only a year older than the seventh years.

“Welcome to the tour. This is the only time you’re allowed to go in the Forbidden Forest – well, except for when you have other adult supervision.” He pointed to @Bryony King, the Slytherin prefect beside him. “And this is Bryony. Follow us this way.” He pointed to a dark and looming path through the trees. “The fun is this way.”

Bryony was standing next to Connor, beaming like the cat that got the cream. She wasn't totally sure what he was doing here, but it was a chance to scheme with an older boy, and not something she was going to pass up. Although dressed in her more casual clothes, she still had her green Pefect badge pinned to the front of her jacket. 

And with that she tried to remind herself she was on official business, and to not stare at Connor too much. Even if he was cute. 

She had some cute boots on. Ones she didn't mind getting too messy, even if she had made herself look pretty as heck. As always, she had put effort in. Although they were hardly walking boots and her feet were still likely to be killing her by the end of this tour. Though she tried to forget that as she hid her little smirk behind her scarf and waved awkwardly. 

Then she began walking beside him, smirking up to him. "This'll be interesting.." 

Mr. Ford Connor was perfect, in her opinion. She would have never signed up to willingly go into the Forbidden Forest otherwise. She had been sensible for the first time in her life, and picked out shoes that were appropriate for trekking over the terrain of the Forbidden Forest. She didn't want to trip and fall on her face in front of the most perfect staff member she had ever seen in her life.

Bryony had turned out to be one of the nicer people she'd met in her house, but pouted because she got to stand with Connor. "Ugh, he's like so perfect," Damaris said as she walked beside Killian. "Hogwarts probably hired him because he's perfect." 

Branchy was heading back to his tree, he decided to just walk around the grounds and just explore, but he was getting tired. Being able to rest would be nice. He wasn't expecting to see people outside the forest. 

Where they going into the forst or were they there to mess with his tree. He truly hoped that they wouldn't be their for the tree. 

He hoped back up to his tree when he got there and just hoped they wouldn't worry about a little browtuckle. This was his home not theirs.

Fern was relieved to see she wasn't the oldest student to sign up for the tour, but also wasn't surprised that the group was mostly made up of first and second years, besides Bryony. She eyed the prefect.. didn't they get to pretty much go and explore the grounds whenever they wanted anyways? There was no way she needed a tour of the grounds.

And with a quick shrug, the curious witch's interest moved to the topic at hand: Connor was taking them into the Forbidden Forest. She'd lucked out this year- Professor Qin had allowed her in there in search of a bowtruckle for her COMC internship and she also snuck in here on the first night back so she was no stranger to the forest this year, but had somehow still failed to find a unicorn, or the bowtruckle she was looking for. Maybe that was the surprise. A unicorn. Fern shuffled towards the front of the group.

Rowan was a particularly mean girl - in fact she prided herself on being nice and sweet - but when it came to Connor there was something about him that made her want to be a little mean to him. Perhaps it was the fact that he'd given her the wrong password to the Gryffindor common room; or it was the whole Gwen fiasco; probably both, if they were being honest.

But his distaste for the formality of calling him mister made her smirk as she followed behind him. She had, of course, elbowed her way to the front of the group in order to sidle up next to the only kinda older boy, "Now, Mr. Ford, wouldn't calling you by your first name be considered rude?" She asked.

Fletcher wasn’t new to the grounds. He was too much of a nature boy to stay cooped up inside the castle for any longer than necessary and spent a good deal of his leisure time outside, but he reckoned there was plenty he didn’t know about yet, and he was determined to learn all its secrets.

They were going into the woods already? Fletcher already loved this tour. Dark, mysterious paths through the forest were his jam, especially when there was fun being promised.

This felt ... uncomfortable to Hatty. She eyed "Mr. Ford" or "Connor" as he wanted to be called suspiciously out of the corner of her eye. She didn't know why she had signed up for this tour thing and was now coming to regret it. At least a lot of her friends were there with her. 

"I'm scared," she whispered to Fletch whom she was walking next to. Instinctively, she reached for his hand and moved two paces closer to him as she shivered. She had a bad feeling about this. 

Why was the tour starting with the forest?? 

((OOC: Posting to keep this moving along - if you haven't posted yet feel free to jump in and act like you've been part of the tour all along))

Now Connor couldn't help but notice that Bryony seemed to be looking at him.

It was obvious, because she was short and had to look up at him. Connor wasn't the tallest, but he was still 5'10" which was significantly taller than Bryony. He gave her a nod and a wink and remarked, "This should be." He looked behind him and saw Damaris and overheard say something about why Hogwarts had hired him. "Honestly, I don't know why they hired me. I don't exactly have any groundskeeper experience." He laughed after he said that and continued walking along the path only to find that one weird girl he had met in front of the Gryffindor common room that had wanted to get in there right beside him. He had given her the wrong password just because he had felt like it, because it was fun for him.  

He wanted to glare at her for calling him Mr. Ford but he was pretty sure he'd get into trouble for that. "No, it's not rude because I'm telling you guys to call me Connor. It would be rude if I didn't tell you that," he replied to Rowan pointedly.

The group made their way deeper into the maze that was the Forbidden Forest, the trees getting closer and closer together the further they went in. "The forest actually has a lot to offer. There are different kinds of creatures you can find here like spiders...maybe even a unicorn if we're lucky," Connor informed the group, speaking in a loud, clear voice. He didn't notice Branchy, the bowtruckle, but they happened to be heading for that particular tree. "There are bowtruckles too, maybe you guys can spot one."

They were close to the spot now that Connor had planned. The moment of fun was going to begin any minute. He walked to one side of the spot. "Now line up across from Bryony and I. We have something to show you."

Fletcher felt the warmth of Hatty’s hand slip into his and he couldn’t help but chuckle a bit at her reaction. “What? There’s nothing to be scared of. It’s just a forest. I’m sure we’ll be fine,” Fletcher reassured the Gryffindor but allowed her to keep clinging onto his hand anyway. At least she wouldn’t get lost this way. And even if they got split up from the group the Slytherin knew the woods well enough to get them back to the castle.

Eventually Connor had them stop in a particular area. Fletch lined up still next to Hatty and whispered over. “What do you reckon it is? A unicorn? Or a dragon, maybe?” The latter wasn’t likely but a boy could dream.

"Ooh, you think it might be a unicorn too?!" Fern eavesdropped overheard Fletcher whispering to Hatty. Deep down, she knew that it wasn't going to be one of the elusive creatures, because if so Connor wouldn't have mentioned how the live in the forest so casually. She lined up next to her yearmates and glanced at Byrony and Connor with a skeptical look on her face. She was cool with pretty much any suprise, but this better not be a prank. 

As the students got closer to his tree, he decided to stick his head out. Maybe they would like to see a bowtruckle. He just hoped that they wouldn't ruin his tree. He might even allow one of the to pick him up and take him with him.

When he looked and saw that someone seemed a little scared. The humans were right, to know that the forest was a scary place. Who knew what was inside the forest. Branchy left his tree, and jumped onto @Hatty Hambeldon maybe he shouldn't have jumped onto her, that might have scared her a little more. Hoping that she would know something about bowtruckles and know that he wasn't scary at all. He just wanted to make sure that she felt safe.

He had claws for hands, that should help make her feel safe as the enter the forest.

"It's not really the forest I'm scared of," she whispered to Fletch. "It's more . . ." she trailed off as she tried to find the words to explain it. "I, I'm more afraid of him," she pointed to their very young "tour" guide who insisted everyone call him Connor. She was just more than a little suspicious of him and was getting nervous for what this whole thing was. "He tends to, um, I heard he pulls pranks?" The rumors had spread around last year.

"And I hope it's a unicorn," she started to say to Fletch (and apparently Fern who was overhearing), but before she got any further, Branchy landed on her. 

Hatty let out a surprised yelp, not scared by Branchy himself necessarily, but more surprised that she suddenly had the bowtruckle on her. She blushed, certain that her sudden outburst had caused quite the commotion in their little group. "Sorry!" she cried. Then to Branchy, she whispered, "You just surprised me is all. But you can stay with me."

Edited by Hatty Hambeldon

The mutterings of unicorns - a word she understood in every language - perked her ears up. Instead of continuing her attempts at pestering Mr. Ford, she fell back into line with her classmates. Her eyes trailed to a particularly animated stick thing - man, the magical world was weird. "If we find a unicorn I call dibs on riding it first."

What was he thinking, jumping onto someone that was going inside the forest. He just thought that if the human was scared that he would be able to make sure that she was alright. Branchy didn't like to see people upset. Unless they were messing with his tree. Then he wouldn't care, then before he knew it the human leaned in saying that he could stay.

With that he plopped on her shoulder and held onto her shirt. Not wanting to fall off, but he also wasn't hurting her. His claw hands could be sharp and hurt someone, but he made sure that it was just enough to hold on. Knowing that it would be fun, and also make sure that the human wasn't scared.

Forbidden forest trip! That was all Juan had read when he saw the sign-ups and that was literally he cared about. He showed up, surprised to see that not many people had showed up. Were there really that many babies in Hogwarts? That was disappointing. Juan had always prided himself on being part of a very brave and sometimes stupid school but wow, they were really letting him down right now.

As Mr. Connor Ford began pointing out what there was in the forest, Juan’s rolled his eyes. Spiders? Wow. Like he hadn’t seen one of those before.

“Yo. Mr. Connor Ford, dude, but like… Are we gonna see any of these things or are you just saying that so we won’t run off?” Juan complained, already somehow bored of the FORBIDDEN forest.

As they continued on, heading for the ‘surprise,’ Juan looked unimpressed at the group. “Unicorns aren’t even that great though. They’re literally horses with a toilet paper roll on their forehead. You know what’s cool? Trolls. They’re HUGE!”

Revealing the surprise to be a unicorn was a lot nicer than what Connor and Bryony had planned. However, it just wasn't as fun. He could hear the students behind him, speculating as to what was the "surprise" was going to be and grinned as he stood in front of them, not saying anything for a long moment, keeping them in suspense. Finally, one of the students broke through the silence. "Trolls? Yeah, I'd rather not," Connor replied to Juan. "Besides, they'd probably fire me on the spot if I brought you lot to see an actual, real live troll." 

Not that Connor would exactly mind that. The only reason he even took this job in the first place was because he had been forced to get a job by his dad. If he got fired, it meant he could continue on his adventures around the world. During the summer he had only gone as far as Asia. There was still North and South America, as well as Australia and other parts of Europe other than England as well. But even he had to admit, it was a better gig than expected. Free board, minimal work, what more could one ask for? 

Clearing his throat, Connor kept them in the dark for a moment longer. Then, giving Bryony the signal, a net suddenly appeared out of nowhere, coming up from the ground and encasing them all so that they hovered some feet off of the ground. "Surprise!" Connor shouted with a laugh as they all dangled in midair. "Sorry, this wasn't my idea and I'll make it up to you guys by handing out prizes later for joining me on this tour." With that, he left to go hide in a spot where he could watch all the chaos ensue after. 

Please wait for Bryony to post first <3

OOC: Surprise! You have all been pranked by Connor and Bryony. Feel free to post your reactions and your rage at Connor and Bryony for doing this. And just note, because that would be too cruel, both of them are nearby in case anything happens and will free you guys relatively shortly.

Bryony walked not far from Connor, between him and the groups of students. 

She smirked as she wandered along, listening to speculations. Well, they'd be surprised at the very least. Or she hoped. She just knew she better not get in trouble for this. 

If anything she was looking out for them. The forest was full of dangerous creatures. Keeping them in a net was keeping them safe. Right? 

As she flicked her wand, the net catapulted upwards with the students in it. A dark well drawn eyebrow raised, and she tried to hide a smirk.   "Oh dear...." She sad quite flatly as she looked up to the net holding her peers. She pursed her lips, still fighting her face from breaking into a grin. 

"Maybe someone was hunting here and left their net down..." She wondered out loud. Although she was in no hurry to get them down. It was devious but sort of fun. She couldn't help but stare. 

Damaris turned bright red when Mr. Ford turned to say that he didn’t know why Hogwarts had hired him. She looked down and away as they continued to walk into the forest.

Some of the other students had begun to wonder if the surprise was a unicorn, and Damaris nodded. “Is it a unicorn, Connor?” she asked, forgetting for a moment that she was meant to be embarrassed.

“I want to ride the unicorn!” She said when she hear a Hufflepuff girl mention the unicorn.

That was when she heard Juan, who was raising a good point—they had yet to really see anything. They had spent their entire tour just trudging around outside, which was just about her least favorite thing. “I’m bored,” she complained mostly to herself.

When the net came down, she didn’t realize it was a net. It just felt like a wriggly thing, not unlike a giant flobberworm. Once the thought crossed her mind, she shrieked loudly and clung to @Killian Dracel.