Jake Morent

Can you paint with all the colors of the Death Tower?

14 posts in this topic

"Hey Kaelyn?" Jake called out, looking up as he saw his fellow Gryffindor walking by the library table where Jake had gotten himself set up with his art supplies.

"What color do you think a Death Tower should be?" he asked, looking down thoughtfully at the pieces of felt. "I'm making a flag for my team." 

"Oh, hey, Jake!" Kaelyn smiled widely at the sight of her friend, the spell she'd gone into the library to research already forgotten about.  She would remember it later when she looked down at her hand; it was written there.

Kaelyn wandered over to his table instead.  Death Tower sounded tall and ominous and scary and bloody and horrible to her.  So naturally...

"Something fun, and bright! Like neon yellow or orange.  You've gotta catch people's attention, right?"

"Hm....maybe...." Jake said putting his fist to his chin, deep in thought.  "I don't think it's SUPPOSED to be fun though..." the boy said, sounding maybe a little disappointed. "It's a DEATH tower, so I think it's supposed to be scary. So I was thinking maybe like black and red or something..." Those were the two scariest colors that Jake could think of. Black - the color of darkness. And red - the color of...blood

"Red would be good," said Kaelyn, who didn't much like the idea of black.  Black was boring, but she supposed it was deathly.

"But the tournament is supposed to be fun."  Death, not so much, but just because the word was Jake's team name didn't mean anybody was going to die.

... right?

"Fun...?" Jake repeated, a little doubtfully. He hoped that Kaelyn was right, but...

"I-I dunno...Death Tower? Crystal Skull? Spider Assassin? Doom Volcano?" Jake read off, with absolute deadly seriousness and a hint of dread in his voice that only the words 'doom volcano' could bring. "That doesn't sound so fun to me..." 

"I guess Ninja Dragon is kinda cool though...that's Grace's team. Hold on...look," Jake said, fumbling down for his sketchbook, and flicking through until he came to a sketched out cartoon dragon wearing a ninja headband and holding throwing stars between its claws. "Maybe I should make her a flag too, after ours." It was possible his team-mates might think he was helping the enemy, but he WASN'T helping the enemy he was helping his friend! 

"Ya know, you can make one too if ya wanna I have lots of extra felt," he said, pointing. 

Weelllllll.  When Jake put it that way, of course it sounded a bit dangerous.

"Wow, Jake, that looks really good!" Kaelyn said of his sketch, and flopped into the seat beside him at the invitation.  Like every other person in the tournament, she was a bit jelly that her team hadn't been named the Ninja Dragons. But no matter... Spider Assassins were pretty fierce too. (Once you figured out that they were actually ferocious spiders who were also assassins and not assassins of spiders, that was.)

"Thanks," she said, selecting some purple felt for her team. (Spiders could be purple!)  "Do you mind if I make one for Toby's team too?"  He was on Team Tiger Fang.  Jake couldn't say anything if she decided to use orange for that.

Edited by Kaelyn Paddock

Jake smiled at Kaelyn's compliment as he put down the sketch book and slid over to make more room for her. "Thanks," he said sincerely as he looked back at his materials. As Kaelyn took the purple felt, the boy nodded in approval. Purple was one of Jake's favorite colors, but it was probably not going to be getting used on HIS flag. Kaelyn was team Spider Assassin, if he remembered right. He wasn't sure that there were purple spiders, but there COULD be purple assassins probably, so it was a good choice. 

"O-Oh yeah, um...Toby...er...that's fine" Jake said, looking at Kaelyn with a new interest now. Even if Jake wanted to say no, it would have been rude to deny Kaelyn when she had asked so nicely. But at the mention of the Ravenclaw, Jake had nothing but questions on his mind. He tried to think of the best way to ask what he wanted to ask. 

"I uh...I saw you guys together. Are you like...you know...um...what's going on?" Jake asked, although he thought he knew the answer. Kaelyn and Toby had been close friends before, but from what Jake had seen, he was pretty certain that that was NOT something that any friends did.

Kaelyn was hard at work drawing a spider holding knives.  She wasn't as good an artist as Jake, so the effect of it was a drawing of a spider with extremely long toenails.  Her team had better appreciate her hard work.

"Oh, yeah," she flushed happily, as she tended to do these days at the thought of Toby.  "We're dating now.  So what do you think?" She held up her drawing for his approval (or criticism, but mind you her ego could be fragile).

So it WAS true...

"I think....I think....um....w-well...he's not that nice..." Jake said, not knowing what to say. 

For some reason it didn't occur to him that Kaelyn was asking him about the drawing.

WHAT???!?!  It was too nice!!  It had eight legs and a fuzzy body and a mean, ferocious assassin face and - 

Oh. He was talking about Toby.

Kaelyn gave Jake one of those exasperated looks that parents gave their children when they said something silly, except if her look could talk it would say 'really, Jake? You too?'  It couldn't talk so Kaelyn talked instead, except she said, "He can be nice."

Jake could tell that he was going into dangerous territory from the look on Kaelyn's face, but what was he supposed to say...? She HAD asked him...

Kaelyn said that Toby could be nice. And maybe that was true. It must have been true for Kaelyn to like him so much. And when he had dueled Jake, hadn't he been nice then? That had been weird and confusing....it hadn't at all been what Jake had expected. But why ever Toby had acted nice then, that hadn't been how he'd acted in class.  

"Maybe he's nice to you, and to Silas...but he's sure not nice to Grace," Jake pointed out, his eyes darkening a little. "I mean...you shouldn't be nice just sometimes..." Jake said, worried that any moment Kaelyn's expression was going to turn a lot angrier. 

Edited by Jake Morent

It was the same argument she’d heard many times before: Toby was only nice to some people. He was a jerk to other people.  Sometimes Kaelyn wanted to smack Toby up the side of his head for loving to rile people up so much, but lately all she wanted to do was kiss him.

“He just likes to tease,” Kaelyn tried to explain, her patience still intact for now.  “He teases me too, and Silas.  I guess he teases Grace a bit too much.”  Plus she gets to be a bit annoying at times, she almost wanted to add, but stopped herself just in time.  

“He was nice enough to her the other day,” she offered up instead.  “When we were in the forest with her.” 

"Tease...?" Jake repeated doubtfully. Jake knew a lot about 'teasing'. Jake got 'teased' a lot. Maybe not by Toby, but by others. And teasing maybe sounded like fun and games, but it didn't always feel like it. A lot of times, 'teasing' was just a nice word for 'bullying' wasn't it? It wasn't teasing that time he had pushed Grace in a pool, or that times he had cast spells at her when she was shackled. Or when he called her---

“He was nice enough to her the other day. When we were in the forest with her.” 

"Wh...huh? Whaddaya mean?" Jake asked, confused. "The forest...? What were you doing in the forest? When?"

Jake didn't know everything Grace did all the time obviously but why would she have gone anywhere with Toby? He was pretty sure if she did THAT, he would know. He had been with her a lot the last few days...the whole thing didn't make very much sense. 

“Oh, she didn’t tell you?” Kaelyn asked, although the question was meant to be rhetorical.  She was focused on drawing a tiger with sharp fangs for Toby’s team so she didn’t notice the confused expression on Jake’s face.

“Yeah, it was like… a couple weeks ago or so, I think.  Right before Toby and I made things official,” she added, as if that reference point in time meant something to anyone other than her.  “Toby and Grace had some plan to meet after curfew or something, I don’t even know why, something about Grace being upset because her mum’s a prof now or something,” she waved the explanation off with her hand, having not been too bothered by it after being sure the reasons were innocent (or, well, not innocent but… not romantic anyway).  “So anyway, Toby asked me to come and so I did. It was actually kind of fun.”