Morty Gabor

Time Against the Tower

10 posts in this topic

Morty hadn't forgotten her offer to read for Ethan, she just sometimes needed time to get back around to things. The Little Ravenclaw's head could be a crowded and chaotic place, but amid all the disarray things were seldom truly lost. 

As divination class let out one brisk November afternoon, Morty decided there was no time like the present. She, Ethan, and the cards were all right here, right now, the third years were done with classes, and only the bravest souls would be venturing outside in this wind and cold. Morty fished the tarot deck from her pocket and waved it in her classmate's direction.

"Ethan!" she called with a smile, "Still interested in that reading?"

Classes were getting to be a lot for Ethan to handle, essay after essay. He wasn’t surprised that he hasn’t had time to talk to Morty about their reading. He hoped that it would be able to happen sooner than later. The end of the term was happening sooner than he was expecting.

After his Divination lesson was over, he was walking out. It was getting really cold outside, which means the castle was getting colder also. Heat, it was the one thing that the muggle born missed. He got used to it over the last three years, he still wouldn’t mind a little heat. It was a castle after all.

Walking away, he was able to hear his name. It was Morty, asking if he was still interested in the reading. Walking over towards her. “Of course.” He smiled, still trying to get all his books to fit into his bag. He should stop caring them all, but any free time that he could find he was going to the dueling chamber. Today though, it was time to get a tarot reading.

"Perfect."

Morty slipped the cards from their knit bag and began to shuffle them confidently. The cards positively flew in her hands, Morty had practiced this rhythm so many times. She spoke and shuffled at the same time. 

"What's your pleasure? Career, relationships, specific question, help making a decision, general reading...? There's a spread for everything and anything you can think of. What's on your mind that you'd like to know from the deck today?"

The little Ravenclaw glanced up from her deck with interest. The question could tell you a lot about the querant, she found. 

Seeing as Morty took the cards from her pocket, she started asking Ethan what was his pleasure, there was so many things. Ethan didn’t know where to start at all. Maybe he should just start with a general reading. Since he had never had a reading done before, he didn’t know how true the cards could be. Thirteen, he didn’t even know what he wanted to be when he got older.

“I think we should start with a general reading.” He was crushing on girls, but didn’t think he needed a reading on relationships, not yet. “I think I just want to know how things will be this year, this year has been a tough one already with classes, and everything else that is happening.”

There had to be something that he needed to know, but he just couldn’t but a finger on it.

"General with an eye to the future. I can do that."

And it was true. Given those guidelines, Morty could think of half a dozen suitable spreads ranging from three cards to twelve. She settled on something in the middle. 

"So, the tarot has four suits--cups, wands, swords, pentacles. Plus the major arcana, that's the big ones everyone knows like the Tower and the Hermit and such. Cut." Morty held out the deck for Ethan to cut. Once he did, she shuffled again. "As I'm shuffling you're just going to be thinking about what you want from the deck. Cut again." Pause for Ethan to cut. "And once more." After the third cut, Morty gave the deck a few final shuffles, then threw down five cards*--four in a line, with a fifth above it. 

1-The World

2-Death

3-The Moon

4-The Devil, reversed

5-Justice

Morty's eyebrows climbed. "Okay, forget what I said about the four suits, because apparently we're not going to bother with those. Major arcana only, my goodness, the deck really wants you to sit up and listen, doesn't it?" Morty glanced up at Ethan before getting under way with her interpretation, waiting to see if he had any questions or comments first. She needed a moment to study the cards and order her thoughts anyway.

((*As always, this is the real spread I threw for you with my physical deck. Major arcana only by chance. That's kind of awesome actually.))

Listening to how the cards are lined up and worked, he didn’t know how much this was going to tell him. Did he want to know, a reading never hurt anyone. First, he had to cut the cards, and she started to shuffle them again, and once again he took them to cut them. He did these three times and then watching how the cards were set up.

As they were flipped over, he looked at them and wonder what they all mean together. He could see that there were many different things on there. Not having no clue what any of them mean at all, just one said Death.

“I looks like it, I see death, and the devil, and the world.” What did those all mean? He sat up and wanted to listen to what all this means to him. “Tell me, what does this all mean for me?” He hoped that it was good, and not horrible.

He didn’t like seeing the Death or The Devil, reversed card. “What does that mean, reversed?” Was it mean the devil was good, or something worst.

Morty nodded. Ethan's were all logical and pretty common questions.

"Reversed just means that the card is upside-down relative to the others. In your case, the devil reversed is actually a far better sign than the devil upright, but I'll get to that in a moment. Let's start at the top, shall we?"

"Card one, that represents your distant past. The World is a card of openness and potential, and comfort and prosperity and all sorts of good stuff. The ability to achieve whatever you set your mind to. It's a good card to have back in your past, it gives you a solid foundation to build on.

"Card two is your recent past. Death looks scary. I know it does. But Death is one of the most misunderstood cards in a tarot deck, and it's not necessarily a bad card. Usually in the tarot Death represents a transition or change. Death brings rebirth, you see. All this card means in this position is that you may have undergone a recent event or change. This change may have been unexpected or even scary, but it does have the potential to bring new lessons and new beginnings, as so many scary changes do.

"Card three is your present. The Moon is actually a more troubling card than Death is, and it suggests to me that you might be going through some spiritual trouble right now? No, you don't have to tell me, it's okay. The Moon is a card that's deeply connected to a person's unconscious mind, and represents insecurity or fear. You might be in danger of becoming your own worst enemy, with the Moon in your present. Perhaps the change in your past indicated by Death..." Morty's finger tapped the Death card. "...isn't being very well received. You're closing yourself off to change because you're scared, or at least the tarot would like you to consider that possibility.

"Card four is your near future, and now we've come back to this idea of the Devil reversed. The Devil can be a very bad card, it's true, but in your case it's upside-down. That's good. When a tarot card is upside-down it invites you to look at the meaning of the card from a new angle, a different perspective. The Devil means a problem, but reversed it suggests that you are aware of the problem and prepared to break free from it. The Devil reversed is about..." Morty considered. "Let's say 'detachment'. Letting go of the devil on your shoulder. Whatever that devil is. You know, I don't. And that card is in your near future. If you're not ready to move on right now, you will be soon. And that's good."

"And in your distant future, you have Justice. She's generally positive, especially in this position, but remember that Justice carries a double-edged sword. If you face the fears and changes in your life with an honest effort and a mind toward fairness, you're going to come out okay. If you act wrongfully or with deceitfulness, Justice could very well be served upon  you, and you certainly don't want that." Morty glanced up. "As a Hufflepuff, I'd hazard that you don't need to worry too much about that."  

The girl sat up straight and pushed her curls back from her face. 

"So, hmm...if I was going to sum the whole spread up in fewer words, it would be this. You have moved  from a period of comfort and stability through a major change, and now you're not sure of your way. You're going to need to learn some hard lessons, let go of some psychological blocks, but if you can work hard and do those things, you'll come through alright and emerge a wiser person for it."

Morty smiled, satisfied as always when all the cards pulled together this way. "And that's all there is to it!" she exclaimed with an eager smile.

So, the devil was a good thing, this would be the only time that he would ever hear that. He never once thought that a devil could be a good thing, but then again, he never had a reading done before, but first they had to start from the top. “Got it.” He said, listening to what she was talking about the world, which sounded just like him, as he was one that would achieve whatever it was that he did.

The death card was a little scary one, but as Morty told him that it was misunderstood. That it wasn’t a bad card. Listening to what she was telling him about it. The card was correct, that he did just go through a recent change. Finding out the truth about his family. That changed how he looked at everything. He just didn’t know how to believe it. That a card could tell someone that. “Wow, that is so on point.” He told her, as she was still telling him more.

Going through some spiritual trouble, he didn’t know if that was even true. He was going though changes in his life. But was any of them really a spiritual trouble. Then she said something that was true again, he was closing himself off because he didn’t want anything to change. “WOW.” That was all he could say, he had a lot of change happen over the summer that he didn’t want the change to keep happening. He wanted to back to his normal life, where he thought that Ms. Smith was just a care taker and not his witch aunt.

Letting go of the devil on his shoulder, could he just do that. Knowing that there was a part in his mind that was telling him to forgive Ms. Smith, that she was just protecting him. The other part was telling him to not talk to her again. “Letting go can be hard.” When someone lied to you, for thirteen years, how was he able to just let something go.

Face his fears, that is something he could do, but he only had one true fear. He didn’t think he would be able to face it again. At least not any time soon. “How does one face their fear when they fear the outcome.” He moved his hands down to where his scars were. No one could see them, as his pants hide them well, but he knew they were there

The summary of what the cards said, it was just spot on. “I’m just in shocked, I didn’t think that it would be so spot on.” 

Ethan knew he would be able to move forward with some things that happened, but some he was too scared to even think about it.

“Letting go can absolutely be hard,” Morty agreed, having been through a little of that recently herself. “Things are rarely as easy as a set of cards make them look. And I'm not that great with people, or advice or things, but...well, here, let me find it.”

Morty gathered her cards back up, turned them face up, and began to fan through the deck until she located and pulled out good old Number Ten.

“This is the Wheel of Fortune.” Morty held up the card. “It's how the tarot keeps you hopeful and humble all in one card. See, there's a demon on one side of the wheel, but a sphinx on the other. The idea is that whatever side of the wheel you're on, it's always going to turn back around to the other eventually. In this case, things might be really difficult right now but it'll all work out in time. Sometimes that's comforting and sometimes it's not, but it's the best I can do.”

Hearing that the cards had been spot on was satisfying to Morty—in her head, the tarot was doing most of the work, but when she was able to read the cards and help her friends, it brought her happiness. “I hope it helps, I do,” she told Ethan. “And hey, being scared is okay, you know? You're only human.”

Knowing that the cards were just telling him things, that he was going to be the one that had to make the change. It was going to be hard, so much in his life has happened in thirteen years, he just needed to know what he needed to let go of. Should he let go of the anger he has at Ms. Smith and his mother and father. Knowing that he couldn’t hold on to it for his whole life. “It truly cares.” He shifted a little from where he was sitting.

Morty wasn’t good with people or advice. “That doesn’t mean you can’t be. You are amazing at quidditch and seem to have friends from the team.” Ethan barley talked to his classmates outside his house beside Sophia. Now he has been able to talk to anyone. It just took some time, and all the dueling he was doing. That did help him a lot.

Looking at the card that she pulled out, he listened to what she was talking about the card. Smiling and laughing about the card, Morty said she wasn’t good at advice but she was giving hi good advice with the cards. “These cards are telling the truth. Knowing that I need to understand that nothing is perfect.” Life is just that, life. Things don’t always go as planned.

“It has helped me, it’s just hard to know what I should do. This year I have just been keeping myself busy to not deal with anything.” Which was wrong. He shouldn’t let it all brother up inside. Or he would be spilling his secrets again, he told Shiver about his problems, but that was because of a curse she sent him. He knew that it would come out later if the spell didn’t hit him. “We are only human, we can’t control everything that happens to us.” No matter how much Ethan wished he could.