Fern Blackburn

I come from the water

Fern Blackburn

In all her time at Hogwarts (y'know, the entire year and month or so) Fern had probably spent the very least amount of time down at the lake. It wasn't that she didn't like the lake- it was the opposite, actually, because anyone who knew a lick about the Ravenclaw knew her love of being outdoors- it's just that there was so many things, so little time, especially when you had a mild dueling addiction, homework, art projects to be completed, and trying to balance friendships on top of it.

And then there was Desmond, who always seemed to have all the time in the world. Part of Fern envied his carefree lifestyle- he never seemed to be on a time frame, life was fun, Hogwarts was fun, nothing was serious. And then the other part of her knew that she would never be like that, and that was exactly why she enjoyed hanging out with him so much. Variety was the spice of life, her mum used to tell her whenever she dumped the cinnamon and nutmeg into her batch of Snickerdoodle cookies.

So when Des suggested they try to find the giant squid, Fern was all for it. The only other time she had been at the lake was for Herbology last year, and there was no squid in sight. Enough people talked about it, it had to exist- the real question was, how did they find it?

"What do you think, Des?" she asked airily. "Should we like, whistle, or something?" Okay,  she knew the squid was not a dog, but things always seemed to be a bit backwards in the Wizarding world, so..

Desmond Potter

Desmond used to only go outside when he needed to, this year he learned he was spending a lot of time in the dueling chamber and needed to get out. It was going to be winter soon and he needed to go outside before it got super cold. He might act like he has free time, but the truth was if he did what he was supposed to for classes he wouldn’t, but homework was lame and it wasn’t something he was going to do. No one was going to make him.

There were more things he should do, so he told Fern that they should go to the lake and see if the squid would come out for them. He never seen the squid, but his father and grandfather told him about him, he hoped that he was still alive and would show his face. He didn’t know if he was going to show his face at all.

Making their way to the lake, it seemed quiet, he hoped maybe something would bring the squid out. “I have some bread in my bag.” He said, hoping that Fern wouldn’t ask him. Sitting at the edge he handed Fern some bread. “Maybe food will bring the squid out.” He didn’t know what the squid would eat

Fern Blackburn

Fern took the bread from Desmond, deciding not to question why he had bread in his bag. He was a Hufflepuff, after all, and to be fair, she often had sweets in her own bag, thanks to her little brother sending goods from the family bakery. Even if she thought squids ate cookies, she still probably wouldn't toss her precious goodies into the murky lake water.

"Thanks!" she said brightly as she picked a small chunk off and tossed it in the water. "You know, I bet the squid eats like.. fish, or plankton or something.." she scrunched her nose for a moment, racking her brain. Were plankton in fresh water, even? She wasn't quite sure. "I used to feed ducks this way, but never a squid." she added. There was a first time for everything, though.

The Ravenclaw made herself more comfortable, sitting with her legs outstretched in front of her as she looked at the sight before her. The lake was certainly a calming place, and she felt at ease, sitting here with her friend. She tore of another piece of bread and tossed it in the water again before turning to Desmond. "What if like, the squid can change colors or something? Like one of those chameleons? And he blends in with his surroundings so that way we never really quite know if he's here..?" 

Desmond Potter

If anyone wanted to ask why he had bread in his bag, they didn’t know Desmond at all. He always had food with him, he was a growing boy and he worked out sometimes with Mercutio because he wanted them to be ready for next year. No strange reason to why he always had food in his bag.

Seeing Fern throw some into the lake, he didn’t know if bread was going to work. “I am sure he would, but I don’t keep that in my bag. Maybe we should have asked a house elf first.” Desmond wasn’t the smartest person in the world, he just thought that bread would get him to show up. It would be amazing to see the squid. “We can always try.” He laughed, throwing in more bread.

Sitting down, he listens to Fern talk about what if the squid changed colors. “He might be able to, with all us students running around all day he might not want to be seen.” That would be a sad day, but he could understand the squid not coming out for everyone. There were a good number of students at Hogwarts, who knew how many people would come to the lake to see the squid.

Desmond was sure the people around him would want to see the squid also.  

Fern Blackburn

"I hope he wants to be seen!" Fern exclaimed, but really, she only hoped the squid wanted to be seen because she wanted to see it herself. She was just rattling off suggestions as to why they'd been here for like, ten minutes and hadn't seen him yet. She picked another piece of bread off the loaf Des had and popped it into her mouth, before grabbing another chunk and tossing it into the water. 

"You know.." she started as her eyes scanned the smooth surface of the lake, looking for a ripple, or a bubble, or any sort of movement at all. "I heard that there are like, windows that look IN to the lake in the Slytherin common room." she said in a sly voice. "I wonder if they've ever seen the squid through those windows? If they exist, that is." she was a bit skeptical about this rumour given that she found it hard to believe you could have a window underwater and it wasn't pitch black in that room, and also that meant that part of the castle was underwater and underground somehow, but then again.. magic.

"Or if not the squid, then maybe like.. merpeople, or kelpies or something?" she said in a hopeful voice. She knew those existed in the lake though. What she didn't know existed for sure was the squid. Fern picked up a pebble and skipped it across the surface of the lake, finally breaking the glassy waters and creating a ripple throughout, then tossing another piece of bread in just for good measure.

"I've read about some magical creatures liking music, though. Maybe if we don't see anything soon, we should whistle after all." she said in a joking tone. She was only half-joking, though.

Desmond Potter

It had to be hard, to be this creature that everyone wanted to see and would bring food in hopes that it would show up. Desmond didn’t mind if it just wanted to lay at the bottom of the lake. He was enjoying the outside and bread. Taking a bit of it, “It would be nice to see him.” Desmond knew that he had to be real, there was no way that both his grandfather and father tell him about the giant squid and he wouldn’t be real.

There were windows in the Slytherin common room that could see into the lake. “Is that even possible, wouldn’t the water start going though, if there were cracks or what not.” His eyes looked up and wondered if that was even true. Desmond should go talk to someone that he knew in Slytherin and ask them. He didn’t know if that was true at all. “If they are, then that would be awesome to see.

“Being able to see anything would be nice.” It seemed like they had been sitting out here for a while now and nothing. His bread was almost gone, as he threw it in. This was after Fern threw in the rock. It didn’t seem like the squid wanted to come play today. Moving closer to the lake, Desmond took off his school shoes and socks and placed his feet into the water. It was a little cold, but it felt nice.

“They like music?” He never would have thought that creatures would have liked music, or that they even knew what it was. Sometimes, Desmond has these thoughts in his mind where he should open a book and learn something, but at the end of the day he always decided against it. “If you think it would work?”

Fern Blackburn

It seemed that Desmond was just as skeptical about the windows in the Slytherin common room as she was. "Well, maybe we can ask Rid or something, because I agree, there's no way that could work. Except.." her eyes twinkled a bit as she paused for dramatic effect. "Magic, of course." she shrugged as she grinned. "And if it is true.. then maybe she can tell us what the squid looks like too!" she added as her mind raced. 

She followed Desmond's lead and took off her own mary janes and knee high socks and instead chose to wade in the water, walking up past her ankles and stopping there. The water was chilly, cooling down for the year as September would soon enough be fading into October and the sun would be left behind and replaced by the dreary autumn drizzle. The rocks felt slimy underneath her toes, and she popped another piece into her mouth, and then threw the last bit as far as she could, watching it soak up water and sink beneath the surface.

"You know, I would be okay with seeing another creature too. It doesn't have to be the squid." she said. "I just would prefer not to see like, kelpies, or gryndilows, or selkies.." she paused, frowning for a moment. "On second thought, it doesn't seem like there are any nice magical water creatures, are there?" Demond probably had no clue what the answer to that was, and even though she was muggleborn, she'd done enough reading that she'd probably be more likely to know than he was, to be fair. 

"Sure! Lots of animals like music. I think they mostly recognize tone and sound, rather than words, anyways.." Fern actually wasn't sure if animals liked music, but she was willing to try if Desmond was on board. "Or.." she had a new idea, and pieced the sentence together as the idea formed in her mond. "I wonder if we could use our wands under water or it would mess up the wood? If we sent a spell underwater, it would be enough commotion to make something move or come out of the water, right?"

Desmond Potter

“Rid might be able to give us some answers.” He didn’t know if that window would be there, he thought that it would be cool, since magic would allow it to happen. “If it was true, I wouldn’t want to be sleeping and then wake up to the squid being at the window.” That would scare the daylights out of him, not knowing that the squid would be staring at him.

The water felt nice, the weather outside wasn’t that bad also. It seems to just be perfect. That it wasn’t too cold or too hot. Sitting there, his mind starting to race, thinking of many different things. Desmond didn’t understand what was happening. Right now, he wasn’t going to worry about that. He needed to worry about if they were going to see the squid or not. That was the reason he came out here.

Laughing when she said the ones that she didn’t want to find, “I don’t think there really is. It would be nice to know if there was one that was friendly.”  There seemed to be some friendly creatures that were not in the water, like a bowtruckle. Was there any inside the water that were nice. While he grew up magical, he hates to read and only listen to stories his grandfather told him, so he didn’t know anything.

Animals liked music? Desmond wouldn’t have thought that, he thought that music was just enjoyable with everyone, no wonder why Fern was in Ravenclaw, she was smart and knew what she was talking about. Using their wands under water? “I wouldn’t know, that would be something we might have to ask someone.” He didn’t think that it would hurt them, but it was always netter to know. “That might be able to work, where they think it is food or something.” Since the bread wasn’t working at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.