New students: when you go to fill out the Sorting Form, we recommend you switch to another theme. Right now the form is not very easy to read on Castle theme. You can find the theme switcher at the bottom left corner of every page.

• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   05/13/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Saturday, May 13th Sorting Form closes: Friday, June 9th (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, June 11th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, June 11th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, June 12th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Rowan Allard

you know an awful lot of people people whose intentions are nice

10 posts in this topic

Rowan Allard was unsure of a lot of things, like how she’d managed to make it through a full year at Hogwarts with all her limbs in tact, or how to get the glitter out of her robes. She also was unsure of how she got so lucky. Or how she’d managed to make the friends she had.

That summer had been a busy one. Rowan had been drifting between friend’s houses, day trips that turned into sleepovers. Of course, her schedule had begun to look a bit too barren for her liking, so she’d started asking friends about plans they’d talked about back at school.

The first one who’d help up their offer was Desmond, and Rowan was more than happy he was willing to have her over again.

She’d have invited him around to her’s but Brighton had been rather dreary that month with damp and drizzly days. Plus the Potter’s house had a different aesthetic, a brighter one, one that Rowan enjoyed.

This time she arrived with decidedly less gifts than she’d brought the first time. All she had was a Tupperware container full of cupcakes - their icing gold with edible glitter. Since her hands were full, she used her knee to knock on the door.

There has been a lot going on this summer, most of it was sleeping. Which was nice, there was no one that would make him wake up to do lessons, there was no quidditch. He did miss it, he couldn’t wait to get back to quidditch again. The only thing that would bug him was when his little sister would want to wake him and have him play with her. Since she missed her big brother so much. What it must be like to be five years old.

Just this last weekend, he went to a quidditch game with his grandfather, it was the best thing ever, since he had played in a game he knew how the players were feeling waiting for the snitch to show up. The game he went to felt like it would last forever. Then again, he didn’t mind he was spending time with his grandfather and it was the best thing ever. Asking about his first year, asking how he classes were going, horrible; and everyone knew that.

As the time kept going, he knew that he was going to have to get up early one morning, and get his room cleaned a little. Knowing that Rowan would be coming over. It was awesome that she was going to be coming over again this summer. Last summer when she came over, his parents loved her.

In the middle of cleaning his room, he heard the door knock. He threw whatever he had in his hand back on the ground. “I got the door.” He yelled at his parents, which he shouldn’t have since there was a baby in the house.

Knowing just who it would be, from the letters that they had sent to one another all summer. Rowan was finally there. He couldn’t wait to see his friend, it was odd not seeing her all the time, but finally he would be seeing her again. Opening the door, she was holding something. “Row, let me take those.” He said, hoping that she would give them to him so they could have a hug.

The gentle breeze of a door being opened was enough to blow through the slightly too long fringe that was laid flat against her forehead. The summer sun had caused beads of sweat to pool at the nape of her neck and across her hairline. How she loved summer but loathed the immense heat that came with it was a conundrum. 

Her eyes lit up at the sight of her friend. The black, unkempt hair and skin tanned from being outside; she'd nearly forgotten what seeing Desmond in person was like. Happy to let him take the sweets from her, she'd held the container out for him to retrieve. Once her hands were free, she'd waited for him to set it down before launching herself with full force towards the boy. 

Desmond was taller than her and stronger, but when encompassed with emotion, Rowan was able to exert a tremendous amount of force. Her fingers locked together, interlaced with each other behind Des' back as she forced him into a hug. It had been far too long since they'd seen each other. When you get used to bed head ridden and pajama wearing mornings with someone, you forget what it's like to not be around them. 

"I missed you, D." She said, the smile on her face almost too wide for her to handle.

As he took the sweets and placed them on the table, she went to give him the biggest hug ever. One that was even bigger than his little sister gave him when he got home from Hogwarts for the summer. Even though it had been weeks since he seen Rowan, it felt like it has been a life time. You get used to seeing someone in the common room, when you finally woke up from your afternoon nap, with messy hair and even a messier uniform, since he would always go to sleep when he was in uniform.

“I have missed you also.” He told Rowan placing his head on her shoulder. Since he was taller, but he still felt short knowing that his parents were a lot taller than he was, Rowan was shorter, but she fit perfect. At least to Desmond she fit perfect. It was so nice seeing his friend again.

“Come inside, my parents can’t wait to see you again.” His parents liked Rowan, she wasn’t Ollie who broke their window last year, and this year she brought sweets. “I swear, even though we have not seen one another in a while, you still know me so well.” He said, grabbing a cupcake before his family ate them all. He knew that he had to get some.

“What are these made out of, these are like the best thing I have ever had.” Then again, Rowan surly made them with love, anything that she makes is the best thing in the world.

It was hard to forget being small. The world around Rowan was not catered to her. Items on high shelves and chairs with long legs were amenities she was unable to enjoy. Even her own mother used her short stature to her advantage, hiding the best sweets on top of the fridge so they would be both out of reach and out of view of the small girl. 

There in an embrace with Desmond, his head resting gently on her shoulder, she hadn't forgotten her shortness but for the first time in a while she wasn't ashamed of it. Perhaps it wasn't the world that needed to cater to her, but just one person. 

Upon releasing the boy, she couldn't help but giggle at his immediate retrieval of the cupcakes she'd brought with her. There were exactly three things Rowan knew he loved: sleep, quidditch and food. She was unable to provide the first (and was actually depriving him of it by coming to visit). The second, she wouldn't be able to procure him anything he didn't already have. So she'd been left with the third. 

"It's an old family recipe." She responded, making her way fully into the house. Rowan had been to the Potter home once before, but the spectacle of it all was still a bit much for her to take in. Every wizarding home seemed so different from every other one. This house was nothing like Havana's mansion or Seeley's marina. "I can't wait to see your family, it's been almost a year now since I last stopped by. I hope they, like, remember me and everything."

He never cared that Rowan was short, she was just perfect height for him, knowing that he could rest his head on his shoulder. It was one of his favorite things to do while hugging a friend. He knew that Rowan was a little sad with going home, and he was glad that she decided to come and visit Desmond, after everything that had happen in their first year, it was nice to just take a break and hang out with friends at your house. Or even their house, though it always seemed like everyone wanted to come to Desmond, which he didn’t mind at all.

Rowan bring food, it means that she knew just what Desmond liked, food was something he couldn’t get enough of. Mostly sweets, if Mercutio knew that he was eating all these sweets over the summer, he wouldn’t let him back on the team next year. Nothing was going to stop him from making the team again. He just had to show that he gotten better over the summer.

“Homemade food is always the best.” Telling her, as they were no longer hugging, he couldn’t wait to show his parents that Rowan was here and even brought some of the best cupcakes that he has ever had. “These are the best Rowan.” Telling her, as they walked into the kitchen. He had to stop himself from eating all the cupcakes.

“They do remember you, I showed them the doll you made me, and they just couldn’t believe that you have made that.” They wished that he could do something better with his life, then just sleep all day. “They were so happy when I told them that you would be coming to visit.”

He knew that his family loved him, as they walked into the kitchen, his mother was in there making something eat as his little sister sat on the floor, playing with Desmond lucky snitch. Leaning down on the ground. “Where did you get that, did you go into my room again?” He asked his little sister, but just let her keep playing with it.

“Mum, Rowan is here and she brought cupcakes.” Desmond told his mother with a smile on his face, and glitter over his lips. ” I can see that Desmond, and I also see you took one already.” Desmond just couldn’t help in. ” Rowan, I am so happy you decided to come back. Why don’t you and Desmond go play outside. While I get lunch ready.”

Desmond's house was just as she'd remembered it. There was an eclectic energy to the place that only came with large, welcoming families; it was seldom something Rowan got to experience but she relished the short time she did. 

This house was in stark contrast to her own. It was warm and inviting, sun poured in through windows and there was a gentle background noise of someone moving around somewhere else in the house. It felt foreign to her, but she was okay with that. At one point Des had felt foreign too, and now he was like a third arm, something she could remember being without. 

Approaching Desmond's family cause the knot in her stomach to twist. While he'd assured her that they were happy she was here, she was pretty sure he would have said that regardless of their feelings. She was a bit startled at the sight of the young Potter girl. She'd have never been allowed to play in the middle of the kitchen - being underfoot in general was frowned upon by her mum. 

"Nice to see you again, ma'am." She said, giving a nod towards Des' mum. It would have been weird to call her Paige and Mrs. Potter felt far too formal, hence why she'd settled on ma'am. That was polite, right? She nudged Desmond with her shoulder, gesturing that they should head out in order to let her focus on what she was doing. "I promise to keep him busy for a while."

It was always nice having friends over, sure he was getting letters from them all this summer, but seeing someone face again. It felt like a million leaves blowing at once, knowing that they wanted to see you and didn’t just feel like they should write you a letter. Being his age, he knew that his friends cared about him. He was also planning on seeing Wyatt when they get their letters for second year.

Second year, he still couldn’t believe that he made it through one year at Hogwarts. So many things had happened that year. Still, he was glad that he would be moving on. He somehow didn’t fail his classes, but didn’t get the best marks. His family wasn’t too happy with him, they did take away his quidditch things for a month.

As he stood there, in the kitchen, watching his kid sister play with his lucky snitch, as Rowan and his mother were talking. Just like Desmond would always be, he was eyeing the cupcakes, but he had to not eat them all. It wasn’t like Rowan made them all for him, if she had, Rowan would have told him.

His mother said to go outside, “what are we going to do outside?” He asked, as he walked to the back door and walked outside. There was so much out there, and a big open area. Where Desmond would use to learn Quidditch.

"I dunno, we just gotta go."

Rowan had placed her hands on Desmond's shoulder, making sure that he was heading in the right direction and not making an unexpected detour to retrieve cupcakes. She'd seen him eyeing them, plus he'd already had one, any more than that and he would be bouncing off the walls before lunchtime made it around. 

Not that Rowan wouldn't have enjoyed a hyped up Desmond. She was, after all, an energy matcher; if he was going full-throttle she would be as well. But his mum was a nice lady, and she didn't want to ruin whatever image of her Paige had by causing more than her fair share of chaos. She would like to be invited back at some point. 

Once outside, she dropped her hands from Desmond's shoulders. She no longer felt the need to make sure he wasn't going to do anything he wasn't supposed to. Probably because being outside felt like freedom to her; it always had since she was a child. She assumed it was because you were less likely to get in trouble for trivial things outside, but she could never be sure. 

"What do you usually do back here, Des?"

They just had to go, his mother knew that Desmond would sit in there and eat anything that he could, he did want some more of those cupcakes. They just were very good, he eyed them once more before they were outside. With it being such a nice day outside, he could think of many things that he would do out there, quidditch with his toy broom and kid quidditch set. He was hoping that he would get a better one soon, since he was on the quidditch team and all.

“I normally just run around, swing on the tree swing. My mother or father, I don’t remember who. Put a spell on them, so they would swing on their own.” It was something that he loved, when he was younger, being able to just sit outside and be pushed by nothing.

“There is also, inside that little shed there. Some toy brooms that my siblings and I use to play mock quidditch.” He was trying to remember what else they did. There was just so many things that one person could do outside, it was like a whole world out there, waiting to be explored.

“What are some things that you would do outside?”

He didn’t know much about Rowan childhood, but he was sure that when she played outside, she had some fun games that she would play. Even something that Desmond might not have even heard of before.