• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   10/05/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Thursday, October 5th Sorting Form closes: Friday, November 3rd (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, November 5th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, November 5th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, November 6th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Edwin Gabor

But it feels so nice to know I'm gonna be alright

6 posts in this topic

"CHOO."

Edwin reached for a tissue, sneezed again before getting it securely over his nose, coughed twice once it was over his nose, blew a rocket of snot into it, sniffled, and flopped backwards onto his bed: defeated. The twelve year old was almost never ill. So when he was he turned into a big old baby and became almost completely incapable of dealing with it. What made it worse was that he'd just come home for summer break. While Scotland certainly wouldn't be catching up to the warm weather happening in other parts of the world for another month, it was still pretty nice out and he was disappointed that he couldn't fully enjoy it.

Also his eyeballs hadn't stopped leaking for about three days now. His dad, a squib, didn't believe in using magical aid so his uncle had vowed to try and sneak him some kind of magical medicine if he could.

For now Egg suffered.

Sitting up after fifteen minutes of staring up at his ceiling, Edwin pulled a piece of parchment toward him, leaning over his bedside table. He rummaged around for a quill in the little drawer, mostly filled with bruise remover paste, peppermint oil and band-aids. After trying to write a letter to Ingrid for at least thirty minutes, he'd finally managed to start. It wasn't anything special, certainly not heartfelt. Mostly, it read like he was being held hostage.

Red,

I've got a bloody cold. A real ripper, too. One week after coming home. For SUMMER break.

SUMMER BREAK. A COLD.

Send help.

And maybe snacks.

Mostly tissues.

-Egg

Ingrid had been tasked with babysitting that day. As apparently, the adult world didn't get a summer break, and her mum and dad still had real jobs and things to do, they used their daughter as an indentured servant on her break from school. It also didn't help that her little brother, Asher, was a complete prat when mum wasn't around. Currently, he was rushing around the house with his underwear on his head, screaming incoherently. Rid sat in the living room, watching him causing chaos with her head in her hands. 

A fluttering and tapping came at the kitchen window, and she rushed to it, glad for any distraction from the screaming and giggling coming from the other room. An owl, only a week after classes ended. Ingrid smiled as she let the poor thing in, it's feathers hot from the summer sun. She read the letter and laughed, imagining her best friend languishing away in Scotland with a cold when he probably wanted nothing more than to be outside in the sun. 

Rid looked at the owl. "How much d'ya think you could carry?" she asked it, not expecting an answer as it pecked at her for treats. She rummaged through the kitchen, grabbing entirely impractical things for someone who was sick. A can of green beans. A Popsicle stick. A few tokens for the local arcade, and page from her mum's recipe book for chicken noodle soup. She threw some uncooked noodles in the parcel as well. 

Winny-  

SUCKS TO BE YOU, HAHA. 

Here's what I could find in the kitchen, hope it helps. Try not to die, we still have to go camping soon. 

Oh, and I found a cream cheese danish too. Hope it doesn't melt on the way. 

It's gorgeous in Wales today, and my brother is being a royal prat. Got any handcuffs or rope I can tie him up with?

Hope you survive! 

Love, 

-Rid. 

PS: Did I leave my transfiguration textbook with you? 

"TEN MINUTES--SHEESH."

"Ed. Win." The stern, precise enunciation of the now second year's name came floating up from the first floor of their two floor apartment. Most of the first floor was an extremely expensive, extremely fancy, extremely impressive kitchen... so Ed considered their living environment to be pretty average even though there was technically a lot of square footage.

Cracking the door open just slightly, Edwin poked his head through and glared down the hall. The staircase was off a corner so he couldn't see his father but he could imagine him... standing there at the bottom of the stairs. One hand on the banister, one foot up a step, forehead in his free hand, trying to remain calm. "SWEAR I'm coming, just. Seriously. Ten minutes." He paused. No answer. No bueno. "Sure Egg, no problem, love you--take ten, aw heck, even fifteen minutes if you need!" He mocked his father's voice. Again no response.

"Ten. Minutes. My empanadas are meant to be consumed warm at best. Pain in my..." Once his father's voice faded off, Ed threw his door shut and went over to the window side of his bed, petting his da's owl that was glaring at him from his bed side table. He tossed it a treat and it coo'd stiffly at him, flying to perch on the window sill and catch the cool summery breeze floating in.

Ed sniffled whatever snot was in his nose back up into his face and examined the contents of Ingrid's parcel. "...Uh..." He laughed and shook his head, pushing the items aside, a sugary and cheesy smell filling his nostrils. Grinning at the letter she'd written, he got up to search for her textbook and some other useful items.

Red,

First of all, rude.

I was gonna say I'd never laugh at you in this situation but I would so ... 

Camping! I've got to send out those letters to everyone. Think I can get away with not inviting Vana? She'll probably set my bum on fire, yea?

I'm not sure if the danish is in tact and I'm kind of scared to try it but if I do and I get sick you owe me. I don't know what you owe me yet but I will think of something. Oh and, cold's almost gone but my left eye's still leaking every five minutes. I'm a sight.

Got your textbook... your owl wasn't having any of it so you'll have to wait 'till term starts or the camping trip. But I've sent shoelaces and krazy glue. You'd be surprised what you can do with 'em.

Sent you some of da's famous caramel mousse espresso beans covered in dark chocolate. Owl's headed to you at night so they shouldn't melt... hopefully.

-Egg

PS COLD IS ALMOST GONE. Da's making me eat non stop spicy food. It's working.

PSS ... I ate the danish. If you don't hear from me, I've died. And it's your fault.

"EDWIN."

"OKAYI'MSORRYCOMING."

Side-along apparition was never a fun experience, and Ingrid's stomach lurched as they came to a stop in front of the Cardiff townhouse. Her uncle Jamie had taken Ingrid on a trip into Northern Wales to go and see an ancient castle. In the summertime, tourists often flocked to the things, but Jamie knew of one that was so far off the beaten path, only Wizards knew how to get there. They'd had a picnic lunch and hiked through the Forrest to get to it, and though she was now exhausted, she was happy and smiling. She gave her uncle a hug- he had to run and couldn't stay. Why he'd suddenly scooped Ingrid up for an impromptu exploring trip, she didn't pretend to know, but she was grateful. "Hwyl fawr, Uncle Jamie!" Ingrid said, her Uncle speaking Welsh more than English with his rural Northern roots in the Vals. 

Another pop later, and Jameson Pidgett was gone. 

Ingrid didn't know the strange implications that her uncle was Muggleborn, but his sister had unwittingly married a wizard. Something about Jameson and Herbert attending school together and Jamie introducing his sister to his friend from boarding school. She heard her mother's voice inside as she made up the stairs to open the front door, but she stopped short of pushing the handle in. It wasn't just her mother's voice, her mother was yelling. Rid pressed her ear up against the wooden door. 

"N'YA TELL ME THERE ARE MAGICAL TERRORISTS??" Jane Leighton yelled, her thick accent making the words difficult to understand through the door. "AN' YOU WANT OUR DAU'TER TO GO BACK?" 

Ingrid drew in a quick breath and silently pushed the door open, closing it carefully and rushing up the stairs before she could be seen. Asher played with his toys in his bedroom at the bottom of the stairs, and she put a finger to her lips to keep him from expressing his excitement at seeing her home. Rushing to her room, Rid pulled out some parchment and quickly scribbled a letter. 

Winny-  

My parents are arguing about not sending me back to Hogwarts again next year. I think it has to do with the death eaters?

What do I do? I can't let them keep me here. 

Ingrid put the letter away quickly as her door opened. She turned around to see her Papa in the doorway, sad smile underneath his bushy beard. " 'ello, muffin." He said, coming in to sit on her bed. "Have a good time with Uncle Jamie?" Ingrid nodded, but felt tears coming to her eyes as she did. "You're not gonna pull me from Hogwarts, are you, papa?" 

SCRATCH ALL THAT. My mum is scared, but my Da' says I can keep going. Are your parents upset too? I mean, we were supposed to be safe at hogwarts, I suppose. 

Anyway, Uncle Jamie took me up to Dolwyddelan Castle and I got you a leaf from the hike.  

Miss ya! See you soon! 

-Rid 

Ingrid sent the letter to Edwin in Scotland once the family owl had returned, mis-matched tone, pressed bright green leaf, and all. 

Edited by Ingrid Leighton

A frown pulled the corner of Edwin's mouth down as he stared at the pile of mail on the table, only one letter opened. The envelope was still on the table but the letter was in his da's hand as he talked emphatically on the phone with Laurel, his ex-wife and Edwin's mother. She only carried a phone on her person because Glen had insisted that she do. He hated how long it took to communicate through owls along with many other things in the magical world due to the fact that he was a squib. So the few times he needed to talk to Laurel, he made her pick up her phone with as many phone calls as it took. So now his voice could be heard from the back of the kitchen along with a strong spicey ramen smell--something he cooked only when he was angry, especially when he was on the phone and angry.

"Laurel." A loud metal clang as Glen slammed something down. Edwin twitched, sighed and sat cross-legged, back against the wall leading into their large professional grade kitchen with Rid's letter in hand, replying supplies scattered on the floor next to him.

"The ONLY reason I've entertained your opinion is simply to hear it. Because you're his mother. You have no say in the decisions I make regarding our son--" Edwin couldn't hear anything coming out of the phone from his mum. She was a very calm person and the few times she and da' had communicated on the phone, Ed could never hear what was happening on the other end unless it was on speaker. Even when they were having a heated argument, she never yelled. "Please, save your breath, we don't need to have this conversation again. Edwin is going back t--crap. I'm gonna ruin this ramen, I need to call you back."

Click.

Red,

Yeah, me too. Da' was trying to get a hold of my mum for a week. She's saying no. Da's saying yes. And she has no right to have an opinion blah blah blah...

It's all very fun.

Da's nervous, at first he was considering not sending me back I think. But Charlie has friends at the ministry and said he believes we'll be safe.

Edwin bit the end of his pen, the smell of the ramen making his stomach growl.

I think if everyone pulls their kids out, we'll look scared. We have to go back, yea?

That sounds amazing. There's ruins all over St. Andrews so we're sort of infested right now with tourists. Loads of people asking me where they can find the best fudge doughnut. Super annoying.

- Egg

PS love the leaf!

December 12, 2037

Rid bounded up the stairs in the Cardiff townhouse, brand new broom over her shoulder with a few dings and bruises in the paint already forming on the handle. Her mum and dad were silent as they unpacked the taxi out front, paid the driver, and ushered Asher into the house as well. Ingrid knew she should be more present and spend time with her family, but she was also a little overwhelmed from the whole weekend with her extended family of grandparents and aunts and uncles. Thirteen was a big age in the Leighton family, and all of them tried to make an effort to come and see her for the celebration in the Irish Highlands. Her muggle grandma and grandpa had even made it, though they very rarely left the small cottage they'd retired to in the vals of Wales. 

The redhead teenager gingerly set her broom down on top of her messily made bed and rushed back out of the room to her papa's study, the next door over. She heard muttering down below, but intentionally ignored it as she grabbed a quill and ink from Herbert's desk, and cooed at the large barn owl grooming his feathers on the perch near the window. She had to send a letter to Abby, tell her about her birthday present and how she couldn't wait to show her what she could do on a broom that wasn't an ancient school broom, like the one she'd been using for the last quidditch season. But first, she had an important letter to send out to her best friend, because he'd likely smack her if he heard that he wasn't the first one she told. Grinning to herself, Rid scratched out the letter hastily, folded it and sealed it with a sticker of a rainbow coloured leopard she'd had lying around in her bedroom, and the family owl wooshed away with it to Scotland. 

Winny- 

I GOT A BROOM FOR MY BIRTHDAY. 

Love, 

Rid

P.S: If you thought I could fly circles around you on those school brooms we "borrowed" last term, just you wait.