New students: when you go to fill out the Sorting Form, we recommend you switch to another theme. Right now the form is not very easy to read on Castle theme. You can find the theme switcher at the bottom left corner of every page.

• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   05/13/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Saturday, May 13th Sorting Form closes: Friday, June 9th (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, June 11th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, June 11th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, June 12th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Edwin Gabor

There's a world we can visit if we go outside...

16 posts in this topic

oi, friends!

Remember that time I said we should go camping? No? Well, here we go, come camping with me.

(And Rid, she already said yes, but I'm sending one to you anyway for CEREMONIOUS reasons)

I've got quite a few magic tents from my dad and uncle. They're pretty cosy, nothing too fancy. If you've never been camping here's a list of stuff you should probably bring with you:

- sunscreen

- snacks (my dad's cooking some stuff up for us, too)

- pillows (why not)

- blanket(s)

- extra clothes

- more snacks

- do you have a dog? bring it

- maybe a bit more snacks

SO YEAH. Cool. Respond with your yes or no, maybe what you're bringing, whatever.

Also: what kinds of foods you like to eat. Dad's a chef. Don't go crazy, we're camping, not staying in a 5 star hotel.

Last: HI PARENT(S)! My uncle and his friend will be camping near by so none of us will die everything will be fine and your kid will come back to you in one piece.

Promise.

See you guys in a few weeks!

- Egg

CLICK HERE FOR MAIN CAMPING THREAD!

Edited by Edwin Gabor

"Talk t' yer father about it," Jane Leighton said, her hands full trying (and failing) to convince Ingrid's 6 year old brother that, yes, he did indeed have to wear clothes today. Rid nodded, patted Asher on the head, and left the living room for her father's study. They'd been out of school for only a few days, and though she and Ed had talked about the camping trip on several occasions, deciding where to go, what to bring, etc, she'd never actually gotten that dreaded thing that could end the trip for her before it began if she didn't obtain it. 

Parental Permission. 

Putting on her cutest and most innocent face, Ingrid pushed open the door to her papa's study. He had a broom suspended in mid air as he circled it, a clipboard and quill in his hand scribbling away. "Papa," Ingrid said, and Herbert smiled as he looked up, placing the items on his desk. Rid smiled back, ready to use every manipulative trick in her arsenal to get to go camping with her friends. 

Winny- DAD SAYS I CAN COME. I'm gonna bring smore stuff, my hiking pack, and a sleeping bag. Dad says he needs the address to aparate me to in Scotland.

Dear Egg,

No, I don't remember but camping sounds wonderful! I will bring my weird food snacks and toys. I'm sure my parents will say yes. I mean they know your parents and stuff. But I will be there and representing us Scots. And I pretty much eat everything (as you know!). Yay for summer and family! But I miss Hogwarts too. How's your summer going so far? 

P.S. I think I accidentally left my spare scarf at Hogwarts. Do you think it will be safe?   

Yours, 

Hatty

Mail was hardly a common occurrence in Rowan's life. She typically only received postcards on her birthday and the occasional package from her gran when the woman was off in some exotic local. But this, this was different. It wasn't like all her other pieces of mail - or the advertisements her mum would give her since they were addressed to 'resident'. This was an invitation. 

It took her a full day to formulate the proper reply to the invite. She hadn't bother asking for permission from her mum. Cathy would have simply furrowed her brow in confusion over why Rowan was even asking. Instead she spent her time crafting the perfect response to her friend. 

rAyyTb1.png

[full size]

“Ollie! You have a letter!” Getting mail was an experience few and far between, her last envelope had contained her grades in and the one before that a note from St Mungo’s to apply a special cream to her scars. Nothing especially fun, but this parchment was different.

“Mum, do we have any sunscreen?”

“We live at the sea side of course we do.”

“Mum, what snacks do we have?”

“Bread. Why?”

“And do we have any spare pillows?”

“No. Why do you need a spare pillow?”

“Do we have snacks, like seriously? Not bread. Egg is asking for more.”

“…You have a friend named ‘Egg’?”

“We don’t have a dog so I won’t bother asking if I can, like, bring the dog along.”

“Take your dragon. That’s close enough, right?”

YO EGGS AND BACON

My folks are totally cool with the camping trip. They say to tell your uncle to keep me out of trouble, but that is so lame, don't tell him. As for snacks, either caviar or some crisps, I'm cool either way man.

- Ollie

Edited by Ollie Celeste

Fern rolled her eyes as she put down her book and headed toward the kitchen, where her mother just furiously called her name. She knew that tone of voice; owl post! Her mum was terrified of birds and Fern was the reason her muggle parents had to deal with them. On the bright side, she rarely got any post so this was an exciting event indeed.

Her face lit up as she scanned over the letter, then tucked it behind her back and walked peeked her head in the living room, where her mum was now watering the plants. “Hey, muuummm...”

efff7kJ.png

After she tied the letter to the owl's leg and sent it off, she started digging through their shed for the old flashlights and made a mental note to pick up some muggle glow sticks and silly string too. This was going to be good. 

"Havana, get down here!"

Her mother had called her from downstairs as she had been inspecting the letter that had recently arrived to the house. Confused she looked at the twelve-year-old and then down at the letter and had a couple of questions to ask, but the first one was obvious as the letter was just signed with three letters that spelt out one word: Egg.

"Who in their right mind names their child Egg?"

Havana scoffed and under her breath muttered, "Who names their child Havana?" Her mother had seemed to catch that but let it slide as she turned back to the letter and continued reading. Before handing it back to the raven-haired Slytherin. Victoria Towne straightened her robes, pulled out her wand and cast a spell towards the nearest stack of paper as it came flying towards them and landed on the table. She then enchanted the nearest quill and ink bottle.

"Go on dear, right your response. You can go if you want. You just have to dictate it so I can hear what you're saying."

EGG (if that is your real name),

My mother has told me I can indeed come to your little shindig in the woods because you don't seem like a threatening little wimp.

"HAVANA ELAINE TOWNE, DO NOT CALL YOUR FRIENDS NAMES."

Sorry, I mean you're not as dangerous as the Hogwarts ground was this fall. You remember the Hogwarts ground being overrun by the Death Eaters.

"WHAT? YOU'RE JUST NOW TELLING ME THIS HAVANA?" her mother screamed at her, "HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?"

Havana shrugged, "I don't know. I sent letters to Savannah and I was sure uncle Portland would've read them and then contacted you and not to mention it was all over the Daily Prophet. Gah, Victoria, you should know you need to read things."

Anyway, I'm glad the year wasn't as bad as it seemed in the long run. We made lots of friends, and besides you've invited Ingrid and I must be there as well. See you, as soon as you tell me when the camping is happening! Because, you failed to mention it in the letter you sent. 

Your favorite Slytherin (other than Ingrid),
Vana

Edited by Havana Towne
spacing and font <3

His dad brought him another letter, that was three with in a week. He wonder who it was going to be from this time. He just sent a letter to Seeley and was working on one for Selena. He put his quill down and saw that it was from his roommate, why would Edwin be writing him. He hoped the letter and started to read it, camping? He was inviting them to go camping. Placing the letter down, he walked down the stairs to where here parents and siblings were.

"Mum, Dad can I go camping next week with a friends from school?" He didn't know what his parents would say.

------

After talking to his parents he wrote a letter back to Edwin.

ogx6HOV.png

The summer of letters.  That was what her parents would forever call it.  It seemed like every other day Seeley was either getting one or sending one off.  Oliver Pichardo had made sure to offer a stiffly worded warning to his daughter about how much suspicion all the owls flying around in the middle of the day were raising to the muggle patrons of the marina.  Of course the twelve year old just rolled her eyes and snatched the latest letter out of her fathers hands, fully expecting it to be another one from Desmond, or perhaps Rowan this time.   

So she was surprised when she saw Edwin's name on the corner.   Tearing it open she read through and instantly regretted the attitude she had just gift wrapped to her father.  He was a patient man, but he was also the gifter of all of her interrogation techniques.  There was no one more blessed with getting the full story out of anyone then Oliver and she was going to have to use her sweet smile and best fast talking if she were going to convince him to let her go.   Mom would be no problem.   But Dad would want to know every detail.   

And Talus, well, the second he saw it was in the woods... he wouldn't want to go anyway.   

- - - - - - - 

campingletter_zpstmyxfyca.jpg

Edwin held seven letters in his hand as he walked outside to where he'd dropped some response writing supplies. He'd put it off for a couple of days now but once he'd been made fully aware (thanks to all of his much more astute friends) that he hadn't provided a date, a place to side-along apparate to/floo to, or even his own address.... Well. Let's just say he wasn't surprised at himself.

Laying down in the cool, still mildly damp grass of the park near his house, the twelve year old nearly pushed all of his letter writing supplies away to sleep instead. He absolutely loved these cool, slightly sunny, post rainy days of early summer in St. Andrews. He'd fallen asleep countless times in this park, once or twice waking up to a sun burn.

Taking a deep breath, Ed resisted the urge to sink into the freshly cut grass beneath him and slumber, instead grabbing for a pen and some paper.

@Ingrid Leighton

Man o' man do I have a crap ton of letters to write. I'm a dolt and forgot to tell anyone anything useful.

July 13th - July 16th

Apparate to my address: 37 Drumcarrow Road. St. Andrews, Scotland

Floo to: Twig and Twine. 1847 Market Street, St. Andrews, Scotland

Come by any time before 1pm! Dad's making us lunch before we set out.

-Egg

With Ingrid's letter written, Edwin sighed and pulled another piece of paper toward him. This might take more time than he'd thought.

@Hatty Hambeldon

It's going great. Lots of lounging and not doing any homework and stuff. How bout you?

Come hang before the trip! Dad hasn't seen you in a bit, he asked how you were.

(I'm sure it will be. The House elves've probably already folded it up and tucked it somewhere for you.)

July 13th - July 16th

-Egg

@Rowan Allard

All in the owls. #magic

(In reference to your address...)

Details:

July 13th - July 16th

-Egg

@Ollie Celeste

Right. Caviar. Maybe caviar crisp samwitches.

Details:

July 13th - July 16th

-Egg

@Fern Blackburn

Uhm. Yes. Sweets. Of any variety.

I'm super into apple turnovers right now, actually so... if your mum's got any of those lying around... you could bring 'em. If you felt like it.

Details:

July 13th - July 16th

-Egg

(Dang, no dog-o's then.)

@Havana Towne

HAVANA.

It's not my real name, o.b.v.i.o.u.s.l.y.

I'm choosing to ignore all the rude slander in this letter. I'm rising above it.

Please try not to set des anyone on fire on this trip.

If you think you can't not set anyone on fire on this trip, rethink coming.

NO FIRE.

Details:

July 13th - July 16th

-Egg

PS I mean it no fire Towne

@Desmond Potter

Ah! Awesome! Glad we'll have a bunch of extra stuff. And sorry mate, you must not have been there when I mentioned it!

Details:

July 13th - July 16th

See you soon!

-Egg

@Seeley Pichardo

Yeah bowties and nature... eh.

Glad you can bring some things along, see you soon!

Details:

July 13th - July 16th

-Egg

His uncle was around here somewhere with his girlfriend of the month so his letters would be fine if he felt like nodding off. Stretching, Edwin pushed all the letters he'd just written away from him and flopped into the grass fully, closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep.

Edited by Edwin Gabor

There were so many letters coming in from all over Selena almost couldn't handle it. She loved that no matter where everyone was, they would still be a close knit class. The letter from Edwin had been a bit of a surprise though. She couldn't remember the last time they had actually spoken. Still, when she read the invitation she jumped out of her chair to ask if it was okay. Her mother had to check with the stars or something so it took a lot longer than it should have to get her answer but when she received permission, Selena was ecstatic. Even more so when her daddy asked to tag along...as long as it was okay with the host. So quickly she wrote up her response and sent it off.

c6d5ec7094fd4fe493ef28bc99feaa38.png

It had been a stroke of luck that Wyatt could be located by Egg’s owl. He and his mother had left London on the day he had returned for the summer. They had only just come back to visit his grandparents, as his grandfather shouted that he had a letter waiting for him. Wyatt bundled downstairs, grabbing the letter, and smiling at the contents. “MUM!” he shouted out, before bouncing around the house, and only tripping over his shoelaces once in the process. “Mum, can I go camping with some friends?”

Meara, sitting on the floor with notes surrounding her, barely looked up as she replied. “As long as you come back with the limbs you currently possess.”

28f07cf0-61f7-4fb9-b3a1-256a02a0cd74_zpsftgbsy86.png

Charlie didn't know where the old people were and was too lazy to look at that moment so. They'd have to say yes either way if he already told Eggo he could go. 

Dearest Egg,

Is that how people start letters or just me mum? Anyway, I can go, but will there be chocolate? I feel like that's the most important thing I could ask. I won't know how much to bring otherwise so. 

Let me know or fondly something? How do people end these?????

Charlie Perkins

Ariel squinted at the letter from Edwin, especially the parts that said "nothing too fancy" and "not staying in a 5-star hotel".  Ariel would much preferred to have stayed in a 5-star hotel.  However, it did also say that Edwin's dad was a chef, so at least he could expect properly prepared cuisine instead of half cold beans or whatever else his friends would dream up if left to their own devices.

Besides, it would get him away from his annoying family.

Hey Ed,

I'm allowed to come so long as there is some real food.  Mum says to tell you that means something other than sweets.

Thanks for inviting me

Ariel

Fe wrote a whole letter, but her dad said it was illegible. She threw it in the fire to make it crinkle and burn while she scowled over another parchment, basically not doing any better or trying any harder to do better this time, and so her dad called it unreadable and offered to dictate, at which point her mum laughed, at which point her dad said “What?” to which her mum replied “You’re dictating for a twelve year old,” and her dad came back with “Of course I am, and it’s because she has your handwriting.” They went off and picked at each other for a while, which left Fe to her chicken scratches.

YgheBCc.png

Edited by Felicia Fletwock
FE IS TWELVE

"Please tell me why you think it's a good idea for a bunch of children to run around completely unsupervised. Because it's not." Fiona Waldorf placed a hand on her hip and narrowed her eyes at her husband who had a heart far too soft to be useful for anything in this world (except to pump blood through his body). "Who's Edwin? Will he be the only boy there? How many other boys will be there? Who's the chaperone? Get me the number of the adult in charge." Despite her million-and-one questions, Fiona knew she'd lost the moment her husband gave their daughter a sly wink and passed her a sheet of paper and a pen to write a response.

4MGsKXl.png