• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   10/05/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Thursday, October 5th Sorting Form closes: Friday, November 3rd (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, November 5th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, November 5th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, November 6th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Rowan Allard

What doesn't bend, breaks

14 posts in this topic

Disbelief.

That was the only emotion that Rowan could feel - it encompassed her entirely. Just moments earlier, she’d been full of rage and anger. There had been stomping and kicking and probably a little more screaming than was necessary. Even Fe Fletwock, the girl most likely to act first and think later, had practically told Rowan to chill.

But someone had taken her shoe - her precious, rule-breaking shoe.

Sure, they were a prefect and they’d implied that she would be able to get it back from the Head of House (whoever that was #shrug). But after the points reduction via Carter from wearing them in the library last term, she wasn’t up for taking any chances.

Plus, there were much worse uniform infractions to be dealt with.

Upon entering the Great Hall, she could see at least twelve - and had her phone worked, she would have been sure to document them. Of course, she was stuck in the dark ages currently which meant there was no way to get evidence.

She heaved a sigh and plopped down at one of the tables - was it the right one? Probably not. Once her rear was firmly on the bench, she propped her feet up so her gold Heelys were placed firmly on the table top.

Abigail was not known for following uniform rules. Somehow, she had managed five years without getting into too much trouble. Hell, she'd even switched bottoms with her brother in the corridors once and no one had deducted points for it. Really, Abby was an uniform infraction queen and she deserved a title of some kind.

Except she didn't point any more attention to it than she had to, considering if she did it would probably lead in her having to actually follow rules

So she ignored the uniform rules and did what she wanted, and hoped no one tried to stop her. Especially not now.

On that particular day, Abby was wearing a bright pink button up with galaxy leggings and a Gryffindor tie she'd found in the pocket of one of her jeans -- probably a remnant of when Finch used to wear them (he was far too muscular for that now, unfortunately) -- and a big pink flower in her rainbow hair. On her feet were the only pair of black shoes she owned, but they were speckled and sparkly. It was the one concession Grover had given her when picking out an "inconspicuous thieving outfit." 

She glanced up when she saw a little one that definitely wasn't a Slytherin sit a little ways down from her. Abby vaguely recognized her as the girl with the heelies, a Hufflepuff, but didn't know much else. Maybe she'd seen her in the dueling chamber a few times? Who knew, really. "Everything alright, mei-mei?" she asked, scooting down the table a little so she was sitting across from the girl. She glanced down at her feet and furrowed her brows. "Are you only wearing one shoe?" Abby obviously had no qualms about breaking rules of fashion and uniform, but ... well, she didn't know how she felt about a uni-shoe fashion statement. 

It wasn't often that older students talked to Rowan; when they did it was usually to yell at her for something. Or, if they were Rosie, set the room she was in on fire. However, this girl was different. That was apparent from her odd ensemble and crazy coloured hair. Perhaps she'd gotten into a fight with a box of crayons. 

Upon realizing that, yes, she was sans shoe, she pulled the other golden shoe from her bag. Luckily she had managed to wrestle it away from Addison (or, well, scream until the girl dropped it.). Upon her first inspection of the shoe it hadn't been damaged, but she had wanted to more properly look at it before putting it back on. Then she would know what course of action she would have to take against that lame-o prefect. 

"I've heard one shoe is all the rage in Paris." She responded, wiggling her toes in the socks she was wearing - they were patterned with small succulents. "Are you a student here? Cause you don't look like a student."

Abby didn't really interact with very many first years either. She had her mentees and that was good enough for her. But when seeing someone who looked a little on the down side and only wearing one shoe, Abby's heart hurt for them just a bit, so she couldn't resist but at least talk to them. And the poor girl did seem to need a friend to keep her company, at least that was the vibe Abby had been getting. 

She tilted her head as she watched the girl put her other shoe back on, waiting for her to finish before talking again. "Well if the Parisians are doing it, then we must keep up with the trends," she said, shifting so she could cross her legs under the table. "I don't?" she asked, pleased as punch at that comment. "What makes you think that?" If she was going to take it as a proper compliment, she should ask for the proper explanation. 

Rowan's eyes were trained on the older girl. From her hair to her clothes to the way she spoke, everything about her seemed to stand out as different. Of course, every near-adult she met in this crazy school was different. From her housemates that looked like they were half-zombie to the teachers who had literal animals in their hair. But this different was good, it was intriguing. 

So she watched her movements, taking in the way she acted. Perhaps this was finally someone she could look up to - considering her own mentors were a bit on the 'not cool' side. "Well, you know. You're not in uniform. Plus there's the whole--" Rowan gestured to her own hair to signify that she was talking about Abby's. 

Edited by Rowan Allard

Ugh Abby was so not an adult. At least, that's what she would've said if anyone asked, but she was almost legal to the eyes of the wizarding world, so she supposed that meant that she was technically an adult. Still, she didn't think she would consider herself an adult. She'd take "different," though, especially a good kind because she certainly didn't want to be a bad kind of different like the astronomy professor who was all kinds of kooky.

Abby chuckled at the kid's gestures, nodding as she reached up to run a hand through her rainbow hair. "Thanks! I haven't decided if I wanna keep it for much longer, but it's a lot of fun." Her The uniform's a bit dull, isn't it? I prefer it this way," she said, gesturing at the colorful patches she'd sewn onto her cardigan and the galaxy patterned tie she was wearing instead of her usual Slytherin one. "You've got awesome hair too, by the way. I don't think I could ever rock the pixie cut like you do," she said, gesturing at the girl's head. 

Her eyes fluttered over the girl's outfit once more. It was like a work of DIY art, which, in her opinion, was the best kind of art. The mixed upidness of it all was intriguing. Perhaps a patch or two on Rowan's robes might look nice. "I really hate all the black, it's so boring." She exclaimed with a sigh. 

Rowan's fingers found their way into her short hair. Comments about her hair were unavoidable; they always had been. Typically they were laughter filled jabs at her from her classmates back in Brighton. Here at Hogwarts, they tended to be subtler and nicer. Shoes and hair, that's really all she was when it came down to it. 

"Thanks," She muttered, pulling gently on her thick, brown locks before letting her hand drop back to the table, "It's usually a lot shorter, I just haven't had time to cut it. And I don't trust Tonks with his scalping hex." She was sure that someone at the school could be trusted with a pair of scissors, but she wasn't willing to risk her hair to test it out. 

Abby nodded solemnly at Rowan's assessment. "It really is. I've been collecting patches to put in my robes, and my brother and best friend's robes too. It makes it so much nicer, I think," she said with a grin. It had been one of the few things she'd managed to teach herself: how to sew, and make it cute too. It wasn't a lot, in regards to homemaking, but considering Abigail Goodfellow couldn't be arsed to learn how to bake. 

She watched the girl touch her hair, nodding along as she explained the length. "Oh!" Abby perked up with a grin, clapping her hands together. "I'm good with scissors!" She paused when she realized what Rowan had said. "Desmond Tonks? A scalping hex? That sounds awful, you definitely shouldn't take him up on that." His life had, apparently, gone sideways since Navi left, the poor thing. 

"Anyways," she said, returning back to the topic at hand. "I cut my friend Grover's hair last summer. I could totally cut yours, s'long as you have a picture of what you want it to look like!" Abby wasn't quite a hair stylist, but she could recreate a hairstyle almost like a pro at least. 

The older girl's reaction to the mention of Desmond was a bit odd. Granted, her mentor was kind of on the rough side; he had tried to get her to, like, poison one of their school mate's meals at one point. But he was still her mentor and therefore her pseudo-friend, but yeah she was definitely not going to let him anywhere near her hair, scissors or no. 

Her offer, however, was one Rowan was considering.

The original plan had been to wait for summer. Upon returning to Brighton her mum would take her one of those shops that did cuts for ten quid and come out freshly buzzed. That was how it had always gone. And had Cathy known she'd come home over the holidays and not gotten her hair cut, there would have been a lot of yelling in her future. 

"Is that, like, a real offer?" She asked, only a bit weary of accepting help from older students. The last time she'd done that, Rosie had bombarded her with chalk and set a classroom on fire. "Because, if it is, I could get you a picture over summer. Maybe you could cut it for the new term?"

Had this castle not been stuck in the dark ages, she'd have pulled out her phone and shown her new friend the exact way she wanted her hair to look, but it had been dead for months. Curse these wizards and their hated of her muggle tech!

Abby never would've imagined Desmond Tonks to use a scalping hex on first years, but really, what did Abby know about Desmond now that Navi was gone? She felt like it had been years since she'd spoken to him properly. Not since, well, since their trip to the Mirror of Erised, anyways. Abby made a mental note to reach out to Desmond again, because it had to be rough for a friend to leave school in the middle of the year, and she definitely didn't want to let him believe he was all by himself. Though, she doubted Mercutio let that happen, considering they were attached at the hip nearly all the time.

She chuckled at Rowan's question, nodding. "Yeah, it's a real offer," she said with a smile, wondering if the young girl had gotten many fake offers from other students. "That works for me! You're welcome to come over anytime. We've always got freshly made somethings at home," Abby told the first year, happy to share her home with anyone. It was a mindset the Goodfellows had always shared, which was why they'd been happy to bring Grover in, even if the boy had a history of pickpocketing. "I cut my friend Grover's hair from a picture on my phone last summer, so I'm sure I could do yours too!" 

Had Abby been able to produce a picture of Grover, Rowan would have been shocked to find out that the boy she was pretty sure was a real-life version of big bird actually had a human beneath all his bread theft and that feather outfit he wore in yoga. But instead she was content to imagine what the girl's friend looked like and what his hair looked like. As long as it wasn't a buzz cut or Troll Doll-esque she was sold. 

"Oh, you want me to come over? Are you sure you don't need to ask your mum?" She asked, a bit shocked by how open the girl was. Had Rowan been in her shoes, it would have taken an injunction to get her mother to allow a stranger from school to come over. It had taken her over two years to warm up to Lydia and she lived down the road from them.

Grover's cut was definitely neither buzz cut nor Troll Doll-esque, though she supposed it probably looked a little Troll Doll like when he'd just woken up. That wasn't Abby's fault though. Maybe she should teach him how to braid his own hair, so he could keep it from going every which way in the morning. She made a mental note to teach him that over the summer.

Abby nodded at Rowan's question, shrugging at her follow up about Abby's mum. "Not really. Mum likes having visitors over," she explained with a grin. The Goodfellows were a social people and if there was one thing they loved more than get-togethers, it was surprise visits. That's probably why Grover was always welcome, even if he had broken their window the first time because he thought he needed to break in or whatever. "See you this summer then?" 

Since finding herself sat next to Abby, Rowan's mood had completely turned around. She'd been anticipating a day full of grumpy sighs and even grumpier huffs, but in a matter of minutes a stranger had managed to change everything. Had she not received an invitation to meet up with the girl again, Rowan might have thought she was an imaginary friend or a fairy godmother (not that she thought she was the type to be lucky enough to get one of those). 

Her scowl had been replaced with a broad grin; the grin of a girl who had not only made a new friend but potentially found a new way to rebel. She rose from the bench, turning her smile towards Abby, "Thank you!" She leaned forward as if to give the girl a hug, but paused, "I'll, uh, see you this summer."

Abby was glad that Rowan's mood had changed from when she had been sitting dejectedly at the table. It was certainly one of those things that made Abby's heart just a little lighter, despite everything she was currently dealing with, and it was nice to know she still had an impact that wasn't tarnished or ruined by the pain in her chest. "You're welcome!" she said happily, leaning in to finish the hug Rowan had started. "See you this summer. Abigail Goodfellow, for the envelope," she said jokingly, giving the girl her brightest smile.