New students: when you go to fill out the Sorting Form, we recommend you switch to another theme. Right now the form is not very easy to read on Castle theme. You can find the theme switcher at the bottom left corner of every page.

• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   05/13/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Saturday, May 13th Sorting Form closes: Friday, June 9th (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, June 11th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, June 11th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, June 12th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Irene Redgrave

You're gonna see it's our destiny, you've got a friend in me

14 posts in this topic

Continued from....

Irene opened her eyes and took in the bright, off-putting white of her surroundings.  She was either dead, or in the hospital wing.  Delicately she sniffed the air and noted the antiseptic smell with a crinkle of her nose.  Hospital wing, then.  She spent a couple of minutes lifting her hands and rolling her shoulders, making sure all her parts worked.  They did but she was sore in several places and she had a splitting headache.  Upon further inspection Irene noted she had a huge lump under her hair, which was unpleasantly tangled.

It was then she noticed an odd sound.  She looked down and saw Luke Cronus whispering into a two-way mirror by the foot of her cot.  "What are you doing?" She asked curiously and then lowered her voice to match Luke's, "And why are we whispering?" All the while poking him several times with a finger before returning her hand to her head. Speaking had been a bad idea. Sounds = bad. Noise vibrated throughout her skull and made her slightly nauseous.  She sneered at the situation.  How did she even get up here?

"Hey, shh, don't move too much." Luke quickly put his mirror away and moved up closer beside Irene's head so she didn't have to strain too hard to see him. He'd thought he was done staying at his friends' hospital bedsides for a lifetime after first term, but apparently Irene had thought it a good idea to poke the sleeping dragon that seemed to be Addison these days. He hadn't even started to comprehend what had just happened between the two, but he did know that in this case he sided with Irene because Addison had lost her bloody mind. Luke had once admired the fight in that girl, but it was starting to get out frighteningly of hand from what he'd heard.

Dodged an AK, commented his brain. They boy was growing ever more grateful for Darcy coming into his life, sane and normal and perfect as she was.

"You alright?" Irene definitely wasn't alright, but maybe she would feel better once she got her surprise - which he was about to ruin because he was too excited to keep it to himself. "I got Silas. He's coming." With a thumbs up and some significant brow waggling, Luke tossed a hopeful wingman grin at Irene. After his encounter with Silas on the pitch, Luke had regained some respect for the boy (but not Toby!!!!). He was rooting for the pair to get back together now, and he was gonna be the one to do it.

Irene grinned at Luke's insistence that she lay back.  He was such a mother hen.  Although, perhaps he felt he had to be with Irene now.   It was true, she had sobbed all over Luke like a baby when she'd broken up with Silas.  Or as she liked to remember it - when Silas let her break up with him because he didn't care about her the way she cared about him and her stupid girl logic thought that because he let her walk away he didn't want her and omg why are girls so complicated and STUPID?!  But, really, since that day Silas hadn't tried to speak to her once.  So clearly all her neurotic imaginings were right on point.  Irene really hated being right all the time, it was a burden and a curse.

"Okay, okay,  I'm going to be fine you know.  My head hurts but I think the rest is just bruises." But she let Luke fuss and resettle her with an indulgent smile.  It warmed her heart that anyone would care about her and she secretly reveled in the attention.  She had a small family but hadn't really considered the possibility that she had more than the fairest weather of friends.  Luke was always there for her though.  He was solid and good.  How in the hell had he gotten Slytherin? The world may never know but Irene would forever be grateful to have found him.

The hand she had extended to wrap around his strong, supportive wrist gripped him tighter than she meant to at his next words.  "You.. did... what?!" Irene was aghast, she was blind-sided.  Why on Merlin's green Earth would he do that?  Then again, it's not like Silas would actually come anyway; poor Luke, sad romantic fool.  There was a little twinge near her heart at the thought too but she quickly dismissed it.  She was getting better at that these days.

She frowned slightly but thanked Luke, "That was nice of you. But I'm sure it'll just be you wasting away at my bedside." She made a show of looking at her non-existent watch. "Until I can sneak out of here. What do you say, help me escape?" She beamed engagingly and pulled on his arm until he had to lean down closer, "Pretty pleeeease?"

Of course Luke said some explicative version of 'Hell No' and Irene pouted as adorably as she could. "I just want--" Movement in the background caught her eye and widened it considerably, "Silas..?"  His name was a whisper of disbelief.  Gosh, she must have hit her head harder than she'd thought.

Edited by Irene Redgrave

Silas had been studying (surprise) at the time of Luke's call. He was falling asleep with a book propped open on a stack of other books, that he also intended to read sections from, and his fist was buried under his own face, cheek pressed up like a chipmunk's, trying to hold the weight of his heavy head, which kept dipping and then snapping back up as the poor Ravenclaw tried desperately not to fully fall asleep and waste precious library time. A rare time away from Kaelyn (Gryffindor quidditch practice, I guess) gave Silas the time he needed to either do actual schoolwork or investigate memory modification, a subject that interested him but had little bearing on his unspoken agreement with Kaelyn to learn offensive magic.

At first he didn't hear the familiar buzzing of his mirror, buried somewhere in his bag. By the time he did, he was left scrabbling to grab it, hoping nobody else had noticed (Madam Carter really liked to throw people out for minor infractions; gentle buzzing would certainly be one).

"Luke?" Silas said in surprise, now mostly awake. "What's going on?"

--

Silas hurried out of the library, having shoved everything in his bag with one scoop of his arm, and took the mercifully short journey to the Hospital Wing (only one flight!) to where Irene was apparently, mysteriously injured; Luke had refused to provide any details.

"Irene?" he asked, seeing a pair of blanketed legs behind the wall that was Luke. His bag slipped from his shoulder as he padded forward uncertainly.

"Oh Luke... what did you do?" Irene whispered, distraught and shifted to hide behind Luke as much as she could.  What does he know? What does Luke know? Who found  me... did Addison bring me here or someone else?"  Irene was so terrible at lying, especially to Silas that this entire situation would be five times more awkward than it already was.  Somewhere in the stream of consciousness that argued with varying levels of reality and subterfuge was the stray thought questioning how her hair looked.  Girls.

"Uh, heeeey Silas?"  She gave Luke a glare that should have been CLEARLY understood as DO NOT SAY ANYTHING. "What are you doing here, feeling under the weather? Picking up a pepper-up potion? Me too, that cold that's going around you know. Ha. Ha, ha." She attempted a laugh of camaraderie that came out stilted and a touch panicked.  She had apparently forgotten that she had a number of visible bruises including one that was clearly knuckles on the side of her face and an ice pack hovering against one side of her head.  She noticed with some dismay that laughing also hurt. Did Addison kick her at some point? Ugh. More things to explain away.

She had decided even before their fight ended: she'd never tell anyone Addison had been the person who beaten her up.  Partially because it was embarrassing - she still maintained that in a wand fight she would have won resoundingly - but mostly because of Addison's broken words - I'm a monster.  No one should feel like that.  In her loneliness she'd felt like something of an abomination herself these past few months - she didn't wish it on anyone not even someone who had slammed her head into the ground.  She'd been prepared upon awakening to face an inquiry from a professor; she was ready to face detention or worse (for the first time ever) to maintain her silence.  Only there hadn't been anyone around. Figures...  Just like everything else in Irene's life, this happenstance would go by largely unnoticed.

"You shouldn't come any closer though, really. You might catch it." Her eyes darted around nervously for a moment, unwilling to look either boy in the eye and then fake coughed. Badly.  Luke you arse, this is all your fault.  Irene felt an embarrassed flush creep up her neck.  Perhaps it would lend weight to her fake 'sick' story.  

Edited by Irene Redgrave

We have permission to godmod Luke, living Meat Curtain.

"What are you doing here, feeling under the weather? Picking up a pepper-up potion? Me too, that cold that's going around you know. Ha. Ha, ha."

Irene didn't sound sick, though she did sound nervous and stressed out, which Silas supposed made sense given their history of cold or nonexistent greetings in the span of time between their breakup and now. He kept trying to see around Luke, but he could have sworn he heard Irene hiss something like hide me you dolt and Luke edged in whatever direction Silas did, blocking Irene from view no matter how he adjusted his position.

"I came because Luke said you were here," he said simply, resigning himself to a seat beside the bed and and obstructed view of Irene, and at this, Luke gave Silas a thumbs up in front of his chest where Irene couldn't see, then turned to give Irene an incredibly poorly disguised also thumbs up. Silas put a hand over his face.

"You shouldn't come any closer though, really. You might catch it."

"Okay guys, I'll see you later, I have to..um, poop, or something," said Luke, and he muscled off into the distance.

Silas waited a beat with his eyes downcast, trying not to laugh, then lifted his face to Irene. She looked like she had fallen into a water mill and been dragged up and through the wheel several times. An icepack magically adhered to her head, which was dampening her normally lustrous hair and causing it to cling to her cheek in what Silas was sure would be unflattering to her eye. 

"How do you feel?" he asked gently.

Edited by Silas Harding-Clarke

I came because Luke said you were here.

"Oh did he," she gave him a disapproving look but before she could pinch him or comment otherwise he up and ran away... to poop? Unlikely.  Luke left her.  He left her alone with Silas. Intentionally.  Silas, whom she hadn't said two words to since they'd broken up.  Of course she'd said more than two words to Luke after she'd broken up with Silas - those words had all been tear-filled and anguished. How could he do this?  Great.  Although it was hard to stay mad at Luke even for a few seconds.  He was so earnest and always meant well.  Thinking with his heart all the time was going to get him hurt someday... Irene hoped she was around to severely hurt the person who did that. 

She frowned for a moment and then shrugged, resigned to the interaction.  The jig was up.  It's not like Silas couldn't perfectly well see that Irene wasn't sick and had in fact had her arse handed to her.  For all Luke's ham-handed maneuvering it was probably for the best to get this confrontation over with, and even in some semblance of privacy.  Though she would have liked to have looked better.  She was half embarrassed for the showing she'd made in the fight and half embarrassed for her appearance.  Her trusty blush was firmly in place heating her neck and cheeks to an uncomfortable level.

"Probably better than I look," she said with a self-depreciating smile. "Yay, magic." She raised a finger and moved in a circle that could have been celebratory if she'd done it with any enthusiasm instead of sarcasm.  She let the silence fill the room for a few seconds before laughing, "So this is awkward..." But she hadn't meant to make it more so  - Gosh Irene what is your problem? Ugh give the poor boy an out. And yourself.

"I'm sorry Luke dragged you here, I'm really going to be fine, just bumps and bruises." She smiled to show she was okay and then winced at the pain in her jaw.  "It was nice of you to come, really I wouldn't have expected you to even... so you don't have to stay."  There, look she'd been friendly and nice and had given him the perfect out.  Having him so close and still on the other side of the cavernous well of unsaid-things-and-feelings between them was depressing, where was her closest friend? Why had he disappeared? Oh right, because she had ruined everything. 

"I hear they have wing assistants or robots or whatever to sit with people who are alone and on concussion watch."  Was she babbling now? She was probably babbling.  Should have left the damn silence alone, stupid Irene looking stupid per usual /sigh.

Edited by Irene Redgrave

Silas didn't understand how both Luke and Gary were so dumb, but Luke was so nice and Gary was so nasty, and yet one was Slytherin and the other Gryffindor. It seemed like they ought to have switched places. Maybe they'd been switched at birth. Silas thought back to Luke's party but he didn't remember seeing anyone, adult or otherwise, that resembled either of them, so no markers for familiar similarity.

"Probably better than I look,"

He began to protest at Irene's statement, lining up the usual assembly of comments to the contrary that you were supposed to offer every girl when she said she looked bad, when she added "speaking of looking, don't look at me!"

Silas abruptly shut his mouth, then sighed through his nose. He made a show of picking up his chair and turning it around, then sat back down facing the other direction.

"So this is awkward..."

"It is now," Silas commented to the curtain that was drawn around them, but now that he was facing in another direction it was harder to hear his sarcastic remarks. Either that or Irene was ignoring him. Either way, she continued on, apologizing for Luke's actions and  maybe trying to get rid of him. Was she trying to get rid of him? Should he take the bait? He supposed she could always outright pretend to fall asleep if she really wanted him to go away.

"Concussion watch?" he interrupted, a little bit loudly to make sure she heard him even though his back was to her. "Listen, Luke didn't make me do anything. I.." he looked down at his hands, folded in his lap. "Lately it's been brought to my attention that, after the attacks, there might have been a lot of people who felt like there was nobody who cared about them or their safety." Silas now was glad he didn't have to look her in the eye. "I wanted to make sure nobody felt like that again, if I could help it."

To be fair she hadn't exactly expected Silas to turn around.  There was a time he would have told her not to be stupid and held her hand and made her feel perfect even though she wasn't.  Her posture sagged at the thought.  When he continued on she got a better understanding of his motivation, his action in coming here.  He didn't particularly care about her, he would have done the same for anyone; she was just part of some self-appointed crusade, some sense of obligation to the general population not even specifically herself.    

"That's very kind of you," she replied politely, primly if a little stiffly.  She turned her head to glance at Silas' back, he seemed stoic, resolved to his unfavorable task.  She should let him off the hook.  It wouldn't do her any good to just sit here and stare at him and wish for her friend back. He was gone.   "I'm learning to take care of myself."  Or at least she was trying.  "Really, you'd be surprised what a few months of social isolation will do for a girl."  Lame humor attempt.  Tobias had been right in his own jerk way- she had to get over this sense of entitlement about other people she'd always felt because she cared about people she was owed the same in return and people just didn't work that way.  For some reason not having to look Silas in the eye made it easier to say things she would have swallowed and sat on otherwise.  She owed them both at least that closure and then he could do whatever hell he wanted.

"Look Silas, I'm sorry." She folded her hands in her lap and sighed, "I'm really sorry even though you know this is all your fault," she continued on before he could make any comment to the contrary because she had a bigger point to make, "It's your fault that you're so caring and loving and too many people vie for attention and consideration in your life.  I expected a standing with you based on how I felt, not how you did and that was unfair of me to expect you to feel about me the way I felt about you.  I cared about you so much that it hurt sometimes." Still hurts.  She put her hand out and pushed against his shoulder when he started to move, "No, don't turn around."  It really was much easier not having to look him in the eye.

She let out another breath and tried to pick up her train of thought- all the things she had said to herself late at night when she played the conversations around that she never thought she'd have with him, "But...  When you're in a situation like you were, you made the best choice you could. I never said that to you, so I'm sorry.  And I'm sorry I ruined our friendship.  I miss you.  All the time. I miss your warmth and I miss my friend.  We were friends  too.  And now we're..." She trailed off. Now they weren't. Now she couldn't even look at him to speak to him. 

"That's very kind of you,"

Getting scolded by Toby for being bad at emotions had not yet completely rerouted Silas's ability to catalogue reactions and respond to them properly. For instance, Silas thought he had just told Irene that he was obviously talking about her, that maybe she had felt abandoned, and this was his way of apologizing to her. Not only did he incorrectly assume she would know that, but he also assumed that her prim reply was an actual acceptance of his apology, rather than kind words hiding the sting of another barb; lumping her in with everyone else.

"Really, you'd be surprised what a few months of social isolation will do for a girl."

Again he fought the urge to turn around. It had never been his intention to isolate her; it seemed like everyone had trickled into different directions than where they'd first been headed before the attacks.. Toby off with Baby, Silas with Kaelyn, Luke and Darcy, Columbia and Gary. Nothing was as it had been. And Irene had gone alone. He'd noticed--how could he not? she was always by herself in classes--but he'd been too proud to try to confront her about it; too ashamed to show his face to her.

"I expected a standing with you based on how I felt, not how you did and that was unfair of me to expect you to feel about me the way I felt about you.  I cared about you so much that it hurt sometimes."

At this, shocked, Silas involuntarily began to rise from his seat, breaking away from all of his own carefully regulated reminders not to turn around, until Irene's hand landed on his shoulder, firmly pushing him back down as best she could (it didn't do anything but her message was clear. Silas sat). 

His thoughts were jumbled. She said so many things, so many he felt he owed a reply, but maybe she didn't even want his words anymore.. just further excuses, bandages for a wound long since scarred over. But then, possibly because Irene really cared about Silas more than Silas cared about any of his friends, maybe because deep down beneath the playfully vain exterior, Irene was truly the truest, most soft-hearted person he had ever met, she said the words that he'd been expecting from anyone else, the ones he hadn't even thought he'd wanted until Toby had called him out on it, made him feel stupid for expecting gratitude for saving someone's life, even though he hadn't been looking for gratitude so much as a pardon. Like a criminal who doesn't necessarily want to become a knight; merely not to go to jail.

"When you're in a situation like you were, you made the best choice you could."

Maybe she didn't even mean it, but to Silas, having Irene's pardon, he was finally able to be at peace with his decision. Even if it had destroyed them back then, he now felt any remnants of self-righteous indignation ebbing away, all reservations about talking to Irene gone. Because at the core, he still cared about her. Missed her companionship. Liked so many things about her. Liked her, not only as a girlfriend, but as a person.

"Irene," Silas said, now standing in front of his chair and looking down at her, not really sure when he'd even stood up or how she'd let him get so close; probably because she was focused on her hands, eyes looking a bit welled-up. "You didn't ruin anything. Thank you for letting me feel like I didn't make the worst mistake of my life, even if you didn't mean it. Thank you for letting me save Addison--for letting me have this-- even now, when you have no reason to at all."

He chewed the inside corner of his mouth. "I never stopped caring about you. I only stopped showing it. And as your friend, that was wrong." He lifted a hand and then awkwardly placed it on the blanket near her legs. "Even if we weren't going to be together anymore, I should have known ... nothing in the castle was the same after that. Our friends..." he faltered multiple times, and then gave up. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I left you alone."

Irene frowned, "Of course I meant it.  How could choosing to try and help a friend be the worst decision of your life,?" Though secretly she still thought it was a misguided notion: running off into certain danger when you were only a smol baby child yourself.  As if there were something that Silas could have done against an adult wizard bent on causing mass destruction that the aurors couldn't have done.  She didn't understand the logic which was something she would have said Silas always considered but she understood the emotion.

I'm sorry I left you alone.

Her heart thudded heavily in her chest.  Her breathing quickened.  Hadn't that been all she'd wanted back then? Some acknowledgement of her right to be upset, her right to feel abandoned, her right to have feelings?  She wanted to tell him what it had been like: the screams she'd heard, the nightmares she'd had.  She wanted him to know that because she hadn't been physically scarred didn't mean she left that day unscathed.  She was as changed as anyone; now she closed herself off, not trusting anyone to be there for her instead of the open and loving little girl she'd been. 

And perhaps because of that she didn't tell him. 

It wouldn't change anything in the past and she couldn't let it affect anything now.  He might not even have believed her - she'd come to realize that most of her friends even Silas when they had been more- he didn't think her as a person.  She was Oh yeah, Irene. She does the homework and is smart and stuff.  She didn't exist outside the most cerebral of functions and perhaps unconsciously she had just become like a doll on a shelf: taken out and played with when he wanted then shelved and forgotten until she happened across his mind again.  How could anyone be blamed for not thinking about an object's feelings?

She sighed, resigned and empty. "I know."  The silence went on for a moment and Irene squeezed her eyes together tightly before opening them again, in control of herself and emotions for the moment.  "I'm probably not going to be in here for that long but I could use some help on my runes homework, if you don't have anywhere else you need to be?"  An olive branch.  Irene never needed help on her homework but Silas was better at Runes so it wasn't a complete farce of an excuse for him to stay if he wanted to.  She looked up to face grey eyes for the first time and tried not to put too much hope in his comment that she hadn't ruined their friendship completely.

Edited by Irene Redgrave

Luke grinned to himself. He hadn't needed to poop, but he was so sure he had convinced Irene and Silas of it with his cunning Slytherin blood and skills. He was standing just outside the Hospital Wing overseeing things like a true master of deception. He almost felt like a puppeteer, only he couldn't exactly see what they were doing or hear what they were saying. 

Peeking around the corner, he noticed they weren't in an embrace of any sort, which is what he had pictured for them. What more did they need? Should he go in there and sing a mood setting song for them? Light some candles? 

"Just kiss already!" he blurted. And for anyone who had ever experienced Luke, it was known the boy was naturally loud. He knew his voice had carried, that's just what it did. Whoops.

Oh well, bro. He wasn't ashamed.

"Of course I meant it.  How could choosing to try and help a friend be the worst decision of your life,?"

He lowered his eyes. He thought that the subtext in the sentiment had been fairly obvious. Not that going to save Addison had been a bad decision, but that choosing to go to Addison instead of Irene had been a bad decision... as it had led to their breakup and, he had once believed, a burned bridge that could never be rebuilt.

Too insecure to admit the truth, Silas didn't say anything. 

"I'm probably not going to be in here for that long but I could use some help on my runes homework, if you don't have anywhere else you need to be?"

Silas raised his chin to look at her. He also knew that Irene never needed help on her homework, not even when she was behind on her own because she was doing twelve stacks of the homework of others for Quidditch requirements. So he could only surmise that she was offering this as an excusable, sensible, smart-person way for them to begin to spend time together again.. Giving both of them an easy explanation for companionship that didn't involve someone's pride or shame.

"I--"

"Just kiss already!"

Silas blinked and looked over his shoulder and then shook his head and smiled. "Runes would be great."

GO AWAY LUKE

To say that Irene was beyond embarrassed would be an understatement.  However, Luke was like a child so surely he would get bored and get lost if he was ignored long enough.  It was probably the best way to get out of the awkward situation he was putting everyone in if no one acknowledged his continued presence. ...Irene hoped. 

She smiled, grateful that Silas wouldn't let Luke's goodnatured arse-hattery upset him.  Somewhere deep inside that stern exterior he had a playful sense of humor she knew. 

"I don't have any runes on me, they wont give me anything that smacks of a sharp object. I shudder to think of what must have happened to someone in here for that to be a thing." She made a comedic face and pointed over at the nightstand next to the bed, "That's the closest thing I've got."  Her nose crinkled at the deck of cards, "But you can deal 'em." She patted the cot next to her and shuffled over so there was more than enough room for both of them. 

The shifting made her wince a little and she tried to take in stride the mental self-lecture over her own inability to deal with last term in a good way.  Since her body would take care of healing itself, she'd have to do the work to make other amends.  Delicate fingers plucked at invisible lint on her blanket for a moment before she worked herself up to side-eyeing Silas as he expertly dealt a hand.  

"I know I wasn't very adult about how I dealt with things..." yet another understatement perhaps given her location - although she maintained this particular situation wasn't her fault, "...but you have to know that there will always be someone who cares if you're okay." She paused and lifted an eyebrow, "So, like, are you?" She made a big show of picking up each card as it was given to her and hiding it away from him as a distraction from her trying to take a peak at his cards herself.