Welcome back to VH! We've just upgraded our software and themes and still have some fine-tuning to do. Please be patient while we get everything working right!  For information about the changes and to report any bugs or theme issues, please visit the Board Upgrade forum. Thank you!

Felicia Fletwock

The monument of a memory

7 posts in this topic

Browned by age but grimed with importance, the trophies  huddled bright around Felicia Fletwock, who would bury them all.

“These names won’t matter soon,” she said to Scout and she rubbed them clean of their grub. Even as she cleared them, freshened them into remembrance, Fe respected what it took to get them there. Even as she thought about breaking their records, and so extremely they would be lost to time moments hence. She beamed at Scout, eyes and teeth all full of gold promise. “I’ll wipe them out with mine.”

Scout stares at them--all of the people that have left behind little pieces of themselves in this world.  She can feel their energy captured in tin and solids, as if they had kissed the brims of them in moments of greatness.

She looks to Fe: the girl would never need trophies to be great, for to Scout she already was.

"I don't think you can wipe them out totally, their auras are still in the room, they practically live here," she explains curtly, eyebrow furrowed as she seemed to look right at a blank wall.

Fe fizzed, turned to curious questioning bubbles. If she was better, shouldn’t those below her be deleted? Unremembered? There was less to them, now that they’d been bypassed by someone more skilled.

Fe scratched at her red hair: a tug. She didn’t want eviction, so much as bettering. “They don’t gotta be forgotten. Just replaced. Swapped out.” Fe smushed her red hair to her head, thoughtfully. “Is that possible? For…auras?”

Edited by Felicia Fletwock

Scout loops her arm through Fe's freckled one, hangs on something horrid--she prefers to feel connected to the other girl when they are alone, as if it keeps her grounded these days.  She hopes that it will have the same effect on Fe, that she will realise there are more important things than just winning.

"You can't, only auras can decide where they want to be, and these people have left bits of theirs here because they're proud of themselves," she nodded, brow furrowed at the thought of it.  "You know I'm proud of you, right?  Trophy or not?" she pushed.

“So they remember their accomplishments?” It made sense to Fe, that someone would carry with them what they did in the hard real world with them to the softer safer brighter one after on. It was what Fe would take along, after all: her winnings and fees paid, and gains and struggles and bonuses.

She turned burned when Scout declared her pride in her. Not knowing why, her cheeks went a certain pink she’d never felt so rubbed with before. “I guess. I give pride out. You can have some.” Heartstop.

“If you want.”

Edited by Felicia Fletwock

"I suppose, some people have a fear of forgetting things like that," she mused.  Scout had a fear of forgetting things, too: forgetting the way sand back home felt beneath her feet, the way her dad liked to wear all kinds of whacky shirts, the way her mum's laugh had sounded before all of the magic had been drained from her body.

"That's kind of you, to give out pride like that," she paused, brow furrowed at the implication.  "Are you trying to say you're proud of me, though?"

Fe would be one of the ones who’d hate to forget things like pride. It would frustrated her to leave a store without using a coupon or a restaurant without spotting a deal. But here, with Scout presenting such forgettings as fear, Fe frowned. Made it less severe.

She felt her cheeks beet, blush, bramble. Her toes turned in; her eyes away. Stones pressed them. “I have extra,” she said. “Pride. If you’ve been extra brave, I guess.”

Even for Scout, Fe needed a reason to distribute such broad honorable swatches.