New students: when you go to fill out the Sorting Form, we recommend you switch to another theme. Right now the form is not very easy to read on Castle theme. You can find the theme switcher at the bottom left corner of every page.

• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   05/13/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Saturday, May 13th Sorting Form closes: Friday, June 9th (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, June 11th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, June 11th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, June 12th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desmond Potter

Going on an adventure, to find gold.

15 posts in this topic

He had been in the common room sleeping for way to long. He thought it was time that he was to get up and explore the castle. He was sure that he would be able to find things about his family there. He was told that there were things all over the castle that belong to the Potter's and Weasley's. Desmond just never decided to look for them. As he walked out of the dorm, and into the common room. He saw his friend Seeley there.

"Hey Seeley, let's go on an adventure." He told his friend, hoping that she would want to go on the adventure. Though Desmond knew his friend liked to go on adventure. "We can make it like were are looking for something. Be it a game, trying to find something that belongs to my family." Normal he wouldn't care about looking for things about his family here, but he wanted to see what his grandfather did while he was here.

Edited by Desmond Potter

Adventure? Well, that was always the magic word.

Setting down the Macy Floo mystery novel she had been reading (basically the only thing she actually liked to read). Seeley plucked her wand from between the sofa cushions where it had gotten wedged and was soon on her feet.

"Sure thing. Where did you want to go?" She knew Des mostly had a hard time with everything surrounding his family and was surprised at his sudden change of heart but wasn't about to deter him.

"I don't think there would be anything Potter down here." Well... except his own stuff. And she wasn't about to go rummaging about Desmond's sock drawer.

Where did he want to go? That was always the question that someone ask him, when he did want to go on an adventure. Knowing that he wouldn’t be able to find anything about his family down here. Since he was the first person in his family to be a Hufflepuff. Which was something that was still messing with his brains, but he was really loving being a Hufflepuff.

“I was thinking maybe the Trophy room, I am sure we can find something about my family there. Since there will be nothing down here but my own thing.” He said with a laugh, as they walked out of the common room and into the trophy room.

“I know that there are some things in here, from trophy’s when my grandfather was on the quidditch team. I wonder if there would be anything else.” He said, as he started to look around.

Entering the trophy room, there were cases lining the walls with dozens of dueling and quidditch trophies. More silver and gold then Seeley had ever seen in one place and she could imagine why she'd heard all the rumors of the niffler creeping around in here.

She wondered why no one had ever tried to put some kind of animal repelling charm on the room.

"Wow... look at all of these. They have dueling trophies in here too!" She exclaimed, veering over towards that side of the room even as she heard Desmond mentioning something about quidditch. She instantly began to daydream about her name being etched onto one of the trophies.

Looking around, there were many different things inside this place. Not just trophy’s about quidditch, but dueling. That was not something he thought about. He thought that dueling was just a hobby. It seemed that as though some people really loved to duel and there was some kind of tournament thing. That was not going to be for Desmond at all, he wanted to see his name on the quidditch cup with his team. If that would happen while he was here.

“Dueling? I never would have thought people enjoyed it that much that they have trophies for it.” He said with a smile, then again not everyone enjoyed Quidditch at all. He looked up and saw that she was walking over towards the other side. Now he walked that way, maybe there would be something there that would have his family name on, that he never would have thought about at all.

"Oh no?" Seeley questioned,it made total sense to her that there would be dueling trophies in the trophy room considering how popular the dueling chamber was. "Haven't you seen the posters in the chamber for the dueling tournament coming up?" She asked her friend. "I can't wait to sign up."

Her worst nightmare was signing up, only to be eliminated in the first round, but she would try her hardest and hopefully, hopefully she'd get far. "I bet you there is someone from your family on one of these trophies." She started to look for the name Potter on one of them. "What was your Mum's last name?"

Desmond had only always thought of one thing when he learned about Hogwarts, and that was that Quidditch was the greatest thing in the world at the school. He never once thought about a dueling tournament. “I have not Seeley, I just duel for fun.” He was not going to be signing up for a tournament.
“I heard about the meetings, but I can’t see myself going to those, though if you sign up. I will go a cheer you on.” It was the one thing he was able to do for his friend.

He was sure that Seeley would do well in the tournament, she was a great dueler for their year. Desmond on the other hand, just thought it was fun. “I am sure; my family is so huge.” He didn’t know how huge it was, since his mother came from a big family also. “Kennedy.” He said, “that is my mum’s last name.” He said, as he started to look to see if any family members had dueling trophies. There were Potter, Weasley, and Kennedy. So many names in his family.

"Kennedy..."Seeley repeated, her eyes scanning over th trophies quickly. "Well..." She trailed off, reaching into her pocket absentmindedly. "I bet I can find a dueling trophy before you can find a quidditch one." She challenged him with a grin tossed over her shoulder.

Surely at least one of his relatives must have dueled, right?

"If I win, you have to..." She trailed off thinking of what type of consequence would be good enough to dish out to the Potter but not too harsh to hand off to a friend. "Well... I'll figure that out later but it will probably involve staying awake for class or something." She laughed.

Seeley wanted to make this into a game, that was not going to be hard. He knew that he had many family members here. He been in here before, though he never looked for his mother, his middle, last name. He only went to look at his grandfather’s and grandmother’s name. Though Seeley was going to make this fun “You are on.” He said, going back over to look at the quidditch trophies.

He didn’t know if any of his relatives dueled, and if they did, did they even place in the tournament.

“Well if I win, you should have to do my homework for a week.” He hated doing homework, he didn’t want to do his homework at all. As he looked. “There is someone named Ben Kennedy, I am sure he is a part of my family?” Was he, Desmond didn’t know at all, he just didn’t want to do homework at all. “And he was a Gryffindor, really, I think I am the first person in my family being in a whole different house.”

"Do your homework?" Seeley asked, with a laugh. "I barely even get my own done."

Honestly, that wasn't happening.

Quickly, her eyes scanned over the trophies searching for any surname that began with a P or a K. She urgently looked at the plaques stamped onto the bases of the bronze, silver and gold. Just as Desmond began to speak, Seeley's own voice, excited with a finding of her own, floated into the air.

"Oh DES, come look... here's a Lily Potter! Is she related to you?" She asked, "She's GOT to be related to you right? An aunt or something?"

Realizing then that he had been speaking too, she grinned at him. Apparently, their bet was useless. Though, Des didn't seen too sure about this Ben person. "Would you stop already with the hufflepuff thing." She urged. "What about your great great great great great great grandpa... what house was he in?"

Was Hogwarts even here? Seeley didn't know. Des didn't either.

“I need someone to do my homework, I won’t pass, and I don’t know what is happening in class at all.’ Since he was sleeping all the time. This was not going to work out at all. This was not good.

So he was still not going to have any homework to turn in. That was just sad, well to his family.

He was still looking for more names, he didn’t know if Kennedy was a common name or not. He knew that Potter would be somewhere on the quidditch trophies, he just had to find them. Though before he was able to say anything else. He heard Seeley call out his aunt name. Lily, she was his only aunt. He walked over to were Seeley was.

“That is my aunt, she is the best.” He said, and it was so cool to know that there was someone in his family that was a dueler. “That is awesome to know that she placed in a dueling tournament.” It was sad that he was not able to find his father name anywhere.

“Sorry, I need to get over it. Hufflepuff is a great house. I like being in Hufflepuff. Just…” He stopped talking, he was not going to bring it up again. At least he was going to try to night bring it up again. “I don’t know, I mean the hat did say something about Slytherin, like my grandfather back in the day. But I am sure he was a Gryffindor.” He said with a laugh. “That is the last time I’ll bring up houses.” He told Seeley.

Seeley frowned as Des worried aloud about not passing classes, twirling her wand in her fingers she was struck with an idea. "I could sit next to you in classes and start zapping you every time you fall asleep." She said with a shrug. Or behind him, just anywhere near him really. He wouldn't be able to sleep if she was constantly electrocuting him with a shocking hex.

"Does someone in your dorm snore or something? You sleep in class a lot." Nudging his side with her elbow, Seeley laughed and continued to look at some of the other trophies, though she didn't see any other names from Desmond's family popping out at her.

"You can talk about the houses if you really need to... I just don't know why you're so worried about it." She shrugged, leaning against the wall. "It's been months now and the castle hasn't exploded or crumbles and your dad hasn't busted down the door or sent eight billion howlers..." She trailed off and looked to her friend, smiling encouragingly. Just slightly, she wanted to grab him by the shoulders and shake him and say 'get over it!' but she wouldn't. Not yet.

That time would come some day though.

"So... what should we do now?" Folding her arms across her chest, she wondered if it was almost time for dinner, she was getting hungry.

He might not like going to class, but at the same time he didn’t want to fail. He just found classes boring and liked sleep a whole lot more. “That just might be something that will work. I just can’t get into what they are teaching.” It was the truth, but having a friend there being able to help him stay awake might be something that would work out for him in the end.

“Not that, Edwin likes to yell at me for taking up too much space, then there is quidditch, we practice a lot. I didn’t think that would be so tiring.” He kept looking at all the trophies that were there. He wondered if those people somehow apart of his family. Knowing that his family was huge, who knew how many of his family members have been her before him.

“I just my father wants me to explain to him how it happened. I just don’t know how I can do that” He said with a laugh, it was the hat that placed him in Hufflepuff. “That is true, he has not sent any of those. Thank goodness. I think the ones we sent off in the library was enough for anyone.” It was so funny when that happened. “I should stop worrying about it. Nothing that can be changed now, and I like Hufflepuff.”

What should they do now, he was wanting someone to eat. Maybe they should go see if it was dinner time. “What to go to the great hall and see if dinner is ready?”

A growing boy needed his sleep, she could see that, but he also needed to pay attention in class or where the sorting hat placed him was going to be the least of his worries when it came to the explaining he was going to have to do to Papa Potter.

"I think next terms classes are going to be so much more exciting." Seeley twirled her wand in her fingers absentmindedly. "Charms and defense against the dark arts..." She met Desmond's eyes with a devious look twinkling in her own. "That should be your best subject... it's like in your blood." She aimed a tiny knockback jinx at his feet for good measure, just to make sur he was paying attention.

Then finally, he said the magic words.

"Fooooood yes." Seeley pushed away from the wall excitedly and her stomach rumbled in agreement. "I'm so hungry!" She was already heading for the hall and turned back to see if he was following.

Desmond should listen in class, but they were just boring. Learning about stars and plants, and making potions. The only one that he liked this term was flying. Sure sometimes making potions were fun, though Professor Carter was odd and Desmond didn’t like him on bit at all.

Before he was able to answer, he jumped back a bit. “At least that wasn’t fire.” He said with a laugh. “I mean my grandfather did deal with a lot when it came to dark arts, I might pay attention in that one to see how it goes. As long as they are not boring, I don’t see myself sleeping.” He just hoped that some of the classes will be fun. “Though I don’t think I will like History of Magic.” That seemed so boring, since he knew a lot of history, due to his grandfather.

“Food, always the best.” He said, as she was leaving. And he followed her.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0