#1 Fern Blackburn

Fern Blackburn

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 1st Year
  • 105 posts
  • Quidditch Points:200
  • Wizard Points:50

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Fern was completely, absolutely unprepared for Hogwarts. In fact, she was beginning to think that nothing would have prepared her for this. Certainly no amount of research did. The castle was enormous, and if she didn’t get down to business the first year wondered if she’d even know her way around by her seventh year. 

The petite brunette stood at the top of one of many staircases, debating if down was the way to go. What floor was she on again? Sixth, she thought. So down it was. She ran her fingers over a map she had stuffed in her robe pockets- the eaglet just couldn’t resist buying it off of an older student in her common room. And so, being the person she was, Fern spent a good twenty minutes this morning studying it, determined to avoid any mishaps on her first day (yeah, right.)

She was about halfway down the staircase when she thought she felt a jolt. The brunette instinctively grabbed the stone railing as her heart fluttered, but when nothing else happened she continued skipping downwards, humming to herself as usual.

All of a sudden, the staircase jerked again. This time, however, it didn't stop. It was.. moving?! 

Fern clung onto the railing for dear life, her heart pounding this time. Why was the staircase moving? Was this normal? How come no one told her this was a thing?!

#2 Juan Garcia

Juan Garcia

Slytherin

• Slytherin 1st Year
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

Everything had been going swimmingly. Juan had explored a decent portion of the castle, and he'd gotten accustomed to the fact that the stairs moved whenever they wanted. It made working on his map kind of complicated, but he supposed as long as he got to write back to his family just how cool this place was, it would be fine. After all, it was better if he managed to tell a good story.

Big piece of parchment in hand, Juan roamed the third floor for a bit, charting down statues and tapping at the wall with his wand, trying to see if he could find any of the secret passageways he'd heard about. Unfortunately, he hadn't really found much except for this one empty room that was basically a broom closet.

Checking off the fact that he'd already done the third floor, he headed towards the stairs and began working his way up to the fourth floor. Of course, the staircase moved right when his foot landed on it, and he had no choice but to ride it out. He wasn't going to the fourth floor anymore.

Juan frowned, seeing a girl stuck on the staircase's railing, coming down.

"Hey, are you okay?" he chuckled. He'd been incredibly surprised when the first set of stairs moved, so if this was her situation, he couldn't blame her, "They've got a mind of their own is all."

#3 Seeley Pichardo

Seeley Pichardo

Hufflepuff

• Hufflepuff 1st Year
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

...thirteen...fourteen...fifteen...

'How odd.' Seeley thought, stepping off onto the landing of the fourth floor with a frown. She had discovered, in her castle exploration and investigation that while most of the staircases had an even number of stairs, this particular one was, quite literally, odd.

"I wonder why that is." She mused aloud. About to kneel down and take further investigation of e size of each step, she paused when she heard a pair of voices abruptly swing closer as another staircase settled on the opposite edge of the landing.

Recognizing one of the voices as a boy she had dueled earlier in the week, Seeley crossed the stones to stand nearby and offered up a small smile. "Juan, hello! What are you up to?" She asked, trying to sneak a peek at the parchment in his hands simply because her nosy nature got the best of her.

"And um... You? Are you okay?" She drew a blank trying to remember the name of her year mate who was gripping onto the railing with white knuckles.

#4 Fern Blackburn

Fern Blackburn

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 1st Year
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:47 AM

Thankfully, the staircase seemed as if it came to a halt as abruptly as it had started. As if it wasn't easy enough to get lost in the castle, the staircases had to go ahead and move and mess up her path. Fern would take advantage of the situation to get to know the castle better, and fortunately she had nowhere she had to be in a hurry.

For better or for worse, her (probably) overdramatic reaction had been spotted. Twice. Both the boy and the girl asked if she was alright. "I'm fine, thanks." she started "Blimey, that caught me off guard though. It was my first time.." she trailed off. She felt like she was always the last to know everything, even if it was something as simple as this. Now that she was prepared though, next time this happened she would probably embrace it. Like it was a ride at a carnival or something. 

"It's not like I knew where I was in the first place anyways," she confessed with a smile. She eyed her new acquaintances, one in Slytherin, one in Hufflepuff. She had seen them by sight, since they all were sorted together, but had never formally met either of them. The Ravenclaw had a feeling that was because they dwelled in literal opposite ends of the castle. "I'm Fern." she added. 

Edited by Fern Blackburn, 11 January 2017 - 07:47 AM.

#5 Juan Garcia

Juan Garcia

Slytherin

• Slytherin 1st Year
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Juan tilted the parchment in Seeley's direction, letting her peek at his unfinished map. There were a few layers, and it wasn't exactly easy to understand, but since the school didn't give out maps, he'd decided to take it up on himself and try to make something. At least for him and his friends. Although, he didn't really think there was a copy machine somewhere in the castle.

He didn't offer an explanation for the parchment, seeing as they were a bit more concerned with the fact that one of their yearmates was clinging onto the railing for dear life. He nodded slightly, completely understanding what it was like to be caught off guard. He wasn't completely sure his first instinct would've been to cling to the railing though.

"It's not a carnival ride, though. Carnival rides are a lot more fun," he countered, thinking to the carnivals he'd seen back in the States or in Mexico. Any other carnival had been something he'd just seen from the window of a rented car.

Fern. He held out his hand, "Juan." He looked over momentarily at Seeley, wondering if he should introduce her, or if she should introduce herself. Eh, they hadn't been roaming the castle together. She was a big girl. It all pointed to Seeley introducing herself.

#6 Seeley Pichardo

Seeley Pichardo

Hufflepuff

• Hufflepuff 1st Year
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

Fern.  The girl's name was Fern.  Seeley silently repeated it to herself as if to commit it to memory all the while giving the girl the chance to find her feet again.   In the meantime Seeley gave Juan's map a good inspection, noticing that a soace near the bottom where the hufflepuff common room entrance should have been was just a corridor wall and she smiled to herself.  If she got a moment she would have to help him add that detail but first things first there was a moment happening here.  

"Oooh, you know the ride with the swings where you spin around and round and round and get higher and higher and faster and faster until you feel sick?" She blurted out at the mention of carnival rides.   "That's one of my favorites.  But, not after a funnel cake."  She gave a shake of her head.  

"Nice to meet you Fern.  I'm Seeley." She finally said.   "It doesn't much matter where you are anyway unless you have somewhere to be going." She reasoned.  "Do you?"  

#7 Fern Blackburn

Fern Blackburn

Ravenclaw

• Ravenclaw 1st Year
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:22 AM

Now that the staircase had steadied itself and she was sure it was't going to move again, Fern began to ease her grip. Luckily for her she wasn't the type to really get embarassed easily or her face would be burning from that one, and lucky for her that she happened to run into two fellow first years. An older student might not have been so nice about it.

She removed her hand from the rail and shook Juan's, stepping down one step to reach him. "Thanks for not giving me hard time.." she said sheepishly, her voice trailing off as the other witch began to talk. The Hufflepuff  was talking about carnival rides now, and Fern nodded along. All this talk about carnivals made her wonder if there was such a thing as Wizarding carnivals? Probably, and they were just a little bit different from the Muggle ones she knew. Just like everything else. 

Seeley was the badger's name. "Nice to meet you too, Seeley!" she said brightly before answering her question. Was it strange that she was heading to the Trophy Room? It was all out of curiosity, of course, and trying to learn more about the castle- the history, as well as navigating there. She also wanted to stop at the Library, which was also on the third floor. "Um, well it's not that I have to go, as much as I want to go. But the Trophy Room, so the third floor is where I'm headed." she figured getting to the third floor was the easy part, given the the zillion staircases she had to choose from, but narrowing it down from there might be a little trickier. Especially since she was almost certain she was following that dratted map correctly, but still seemed to be having trouble finding her way.

"Are either of you heading that direction? Or can point in me the right direction?" It didn't hurt to ask.

#8 Juan Garcia

Juan Garcia

Slytherin

• Slytherin 1st Year
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

Had he... been going to the wrong carnivals? Was that even the proper word in English for what he'd been thinking about? Mentally crossing off a checklist of other possibilities, he decided that 'fair' and 'carnival' were close enough. Carnivals probably had more games than... Or were they the exact same thing? Translating was hard.

"Funnel cake? What's funnel cake?" he asked. Any kind of carnival treats, he only knew the names in Spanish. Odds were if he saw some, he'd know what it was. Honestly, being stuck speaking one language now was starting to get to him. Normally he swapped between at least three on a daily basis, depending on where his family was traveling for the month.

Another question, this one directed at Fern, "Why would we give you a hard time? No one really expects stairs to move. I can't imagine wizards have moving stairs in their houses. That... Do wizards all live in houses or castles? My grandma lives in a house, but she lives with our muggle family, so I don't really... know." He trailed off, wondering what their thoughts on blood status were. He'd already run into quite a few people that had looked down at him because he wasn't... a pureblood?

Juan shrugged in response to Fern's questions, pulling up his map, "The trophy room... I don't have it on here. We can go look for it? It shouldn't be that hard to find. People love showing off trophies. I'm up to go if you'll let me tag along. Seeley?"

#9 Sophie Downes

Sophie Downes

Hufflepuff 7th Year

• Hufflepuff Prefect
  • 1,991 posts
  • Quidditch Points:560
  • Wizard Points:348

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

Sophie had been doing some research. A parchment and quill in hand, the Hufflepuff Prefect had been observing a particular staircase across the course of the day. It had moved two times in the space that she'd been watching.

Contrary to what Juan had said, Sophie Downes was actually dependent on staircases moving. Her next big plan was dependent on it. However, she didn't pay too much attention to the first years that were holding their own conversation.

A few cookies probably fell out of her pocket as Soph squeezed past the first years. Her ears perked up as she upon hearing mentions of the trophy room, before feeling obligated to warm the younger students. "I don't think you should go into the trophy room. I heard that Kit's intership programme is breeding nifflers, and you know how much Jack likes hanging out in there-" or perhaps they didn't.

Kit's internship quite possibly wasn't about breeding nifflers. It was also quite possible Jack Nifflerson (the House Niffler) wasn't a frequent visitor to the trophy room, but Sophie's perceptions of reality were often somewhat mildly skewed. But she didn't have time to discuss this, therefore moved on.

-----

Hello! You've been invaded by a Prefect (only briefly). This is the only post that I will be making so please do return to your normal thread. If there's anything in my post that you are uncomfortable with, or you would prefer this invasion not have happened, please go ahead and PM me right away and I'd be more than happy to remove it for your convenience. Happy RPing <3

p.s. please check your shops, lovies <3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: open, fernisnotaflower, rrpc vh34

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users