New students: when you go to fill out the Sorting Form, we recommend you switch to another theme. Right now the form is not very easy to read on Castle theme. You can find the theme switcher at the bottom left corner of every page.

• Announcements

• Weasley

How to get sorted   05/13/2017

To find the Sorting Form, click on the "Sort Me!" tab at the top of the page.    Before you go to fill out the form, make sure that you have a username that follows our rules. If you don't, your form will be rejected. You can change your name once yourself, by going to Account Settings -> Display Name. If you've already used your one change, you can request a name change in this topic. Be sure to read the first post in the topic carefully so we can get you updated without any back and forth.   Don't rush to answer the form! There's no prize for sending it in first. Please take your time and fill out the form thoughtfully, so the hat will have the information it needs to put your character in the right house.     Calendar: Sorting Form appears: Saturday, May 13th Sorting Form closes: Friday, June 9th (No forms will be accepted after this date) The Sorting Ceremony closes: Sunday, June 11th, about 10am Central Time You find out your new house: Sunday, June 11th, 11 am Central Time First day of the new school year: Monday, June 12th   (For reference: Central Time Zone includes Chicago, Illinois)   How to get sorted:   1. Register with a name that follows our rules. The registration agreement explains the rules about names. You can also find them in the Rules.   2. Remember you may only send in one form total for this school year. If you send forms in from multiple accounts, we will not sort ANY of them. Then we have to feel bad about not sorting you. Don't make us feel bad, please.   3. Click on the Sort Me tab and fill out the sorting form as thoroughly as possible. The better we understand your character, the more likely we can put you in the right house. See "How to use the form" below if you're confused. For some in depth information on each house, please check out this topic on sorting. (Note: After you fill out the form, a copy will be PMed to you. Please save that because we delete them from our system after sorting.)   4. Wait for a PM from the Sorting Hat. Be patient, it could take a few days. If you don't receive a PM from the Sorting Hat within 4 or 5 days, contact one of the moderators.   5. If your form is: Accepted: Congratulations! You should now go post in the Sorting Ceremony topic in the New Member resources forum. This is very important. This post is where you'll go to find out what the Sorting Hat had to say about you. Don't skip this step! Rejected: Don't worry, you can still be sorted. Be sure to read the reasons for the rejection carefully, then edit your form (just click on the Get Sorted! link again) to fix the problem. Once you've done that, you can send the form in again. 6. That's it! Once you've gotten your acceptance letter AND posted in the Sorting Ceremony, you're all set. You'll find out where the Sorting Hat put you on Sorting day when you can check the Great Hall for the edited Sorting Ceremony.   How to use the form: The form is pretty straightforward and user friendly. Here are a couple tips: You don't need to fill the whole thing in at one sitting. You can finish one page at a time and save it. Then finish the rest later. Don't use your browser's Back or Forward buttons. Use the buttons in the form to Navigate.  If you don't fill out all the questions on a page, you can't save or move on. If you don't meet the word number requirements in the In Depth section, you can't submit the form. Use the "Check Word Count" buttons to see how many words you've used. If you fill in the wrong answers on the quiz page, you won't be able to submit the form. After you've submitted the form, you can't access it anymore. But if your form is rejected, you'll be able to see it again with your old answers still filled in. Still have questions? Ask here.    Note: Section I: Short Answer Please include a brief explanation with each answer. I'd like to remind you all to include an explanation with all the short answer questions. The answers to those questions aren't very useful for sorting unless you explain them.   Otherwise, we don't have enough information to sort you with. (Translation: we'll have to reject it.)     Many thanks as always to Arianna Wright for her hard work revising and updating the form and to Faraz Memon for initially coding it many years ago. <3
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Knight

Knight, Andrew

10 posts in this topic

Lesson One: Start Workbook

I, Andrew Knight, have read the Rules & Guidelines.

Name: Andrew Gordon Knight
Blood Status: Half
Are you new to VH? No.
Learn the most? (IC): School is kind of Nico's thing, but at least I can do magic and make friends? Fun over learning.

Learn the most? (OOC): I've learned the most about my characters by putting them through PHP, I want to have a good sense of who Andrew is come sorting day.
A few things your character likes doing in his/her free time: Watching Maple Leafs games, Lego kits, digging in mud, reading graphic novels, taking things apart to look at the pieces.

Extra Credit: Tell Nico About Hogwarts

WC: 136

Andrew had turned the kitchen table into a fort, stacking couch cushions and draping blankets over chairs until he had a sizeable refuge in which to spend the afternoon. When he heard his brother approaching, Drew popped his head out.

"Hey! Nico! Guess what?"

He waved a large envelope triumphantly.

"I got in too, so ha! And don't say you don't know what I mean, because Mum told me everything, and I know that's where you go school, and now I get to go too! Oh man, can you turn people you don't like into toads and stuff? This is just too awesome. Six times better than boring old normal school. Bye bye, books and homework, it's all wands and potions for me now!" Drew popped back into his fort without giving Nico time to respond.

Edited by Drew Knight

Lesson Two: Code That Shiz

Andrew Knight

Pre-Hogwarts Primary, VH35

I am not afraid of snakes or bugs or gross stuff.

Extra Credit: Break Them Rules
WC: 123

Drew was in a pickle. If he took an insult like this, with his whole class as witnesses, the other boys would pick on him forever. He was already scrawny and on the short side, he didn't need people thinking he was easy pickings.

No screaming to telegraph the attack, no cursing or outrage, Drew simply took three flying steps forward and decked his tormentor across the face. The bully--bigger, stronger, tougher--fought back immediately and when the professors finally pulled them apart, Drew was definitely the worse for wear of the two. But he smirked through his black eyes, knowing he'd proven something about himself today. Entirely worth the detention if it meant bullies would stay off his back.

Edited by Drew Knight

Lesson Three: Pick Five Words (No pressure)

Drew is a kid who likes to be liked, and strives to be friendly whenever possible. He's not inclined to burn bridges, although he is generally willing to stick up for himself or others when bullies come calling.

As the youngest member of his family, Drew is used to being told what to do and where to go. He's gotten used to it, and has become pretty adaptable by necessity. What to do, where to eat, what movie to watch—he'll give an opinion, but he won't complain unduly if he's overruled.

He trusts his friends, and lets them call the shots—as a side effect, Drew Knight is gullible. His easygoing naivete makes him an easy target for the prank-minded individuals among his peer group. Luckily, he can usually take a joke.

Though he's quick to insist that Nico is 'the smart one', Drew is always paying pretty close attention. He's observant, both situationally and socially. In his mind, that's part of being a good friend—being aware, and listening carefully.

Drew's approach to life is pragmatic, rather than theoretical. He'd rather look at things the way they are than waste much time musing or philosophizing. Also falling under the “pragmatic” heading: his budding sense of mechanics and habit of taking things apart make him a useful guy to have around when the vacuum breaks. Not that many vacuums break in Hogwarts...?

Extra Credit: Get to Know the CCE
WC: 156

Hey, Drew, before we go in...”

Drew glanced up. “Yeah Dad?”

I mentioned the staff of Gringotts are almost exclusively goblins?”

The boy nodded easily, still not seeing his father's point.

You might not want to...umm, if you could try not to ask any questions...about how they look, or anything?”

Drew shrugged. “I won't.”

George gave a firm nod, seeming to realize which of his sons he was addressing. “Great, thanks kiddo.”

Drew ducked under his father's arm and through the doors of Gringotts. Really, until you noticed the goblins behind the desks, it was pretty much as stuffy and boring as most banks he'd been in. Treating the goblins the same as human bank tellers was as easy as following Dad's lead—he did most of the talking anyway, leaving Drew to offer the goblin teller an easygoing smile (it was not returned) and then bounce impatiently on the balls of his feet.

Edited by Drew Knight

Lesson Four: Start a CL

The Basics:
Name: Andrew G. Knight
House: presorted
Birthday: December 6th
Hometown: Oxford
Pureblood/half blood/muggle born: Half blood
Five words that best describe your character: Friendly, observant, adaptable, gullible, pragmatic

Appearance:
Hair Color: Brown
Hair Style: Finger-comb it, run brush through it, go.
Eye color: Brown
Height: More or less average for his peer group
Other distinguishing details: Small scar up by his hairline--yes, this kid has taken a hockey puck to the head. Chill out, it wasn't going that fast.

Family:
Father's name: George Knight
Brief description (occupation, blood, etc): Wizard, English, arithmancer for Gringotts
Mother's name: Katherine "Kate" Knight
Brief description (occupation, blood, etc): Muggle, Canadian, children's book author working from home.
Brother: Nico Knight. Ravenclaw, kind of a know-it-all but generally a good egg. Easy to torment with worms and stuff.
Other key family members:
Gram and Gramps: Canadian grandparents, muggles
Uncle Steve: Mom's brother, says bad words when he takes us to Leafs games
Grandad and Grandmum: English grandparents, wizards

Extra Credit: Talk About Family
WC: 86

Drew gamely volunteered to go next. "I live in Oxford with my Mom and Dad, and my big brother Nico. He's already at Hogwarts, in Ravenclaw. Obviously," Drew muttered with an audible eyeroll. "He's really smart. Dad was in Ravenclaw too, but Mom's a muggle. She writes kids books. All Mom's family live in Canada, so technically I guess I'm half wizard, half Canadian! Or something..." 

He took a two second pause to make sure he had nothing else to say, then shrugged, smiled, and sat. 

Edited by Drew Knight

Lesson Five: Start an Open Thread

Drew was totally excited that Mom had allowed him to bring his new lego set to school, after he'd sworn about a hundred times not to lose any of the pieces. The tiny bricks had overtaken almost an entire table within moments after lunchtime started, sorted into loose piles by shape and color. Drew sat behind the small heaps, a turkey sandwich in one hand, with his nose pressed into the instruction booklet, contentedly assembling the lego pieces into their intended castle configuration. He'd made a lot of progress during lunch, it was really starting to look like the picture on the box! 

Extra Credit: Make it Actually Be An Open Thread

This here's a link.

((Not posted to corkboard by preference, b/c it said that was still okay for EC.))

Edited by Drew Knight

Lesson Six: Pick a Dream Pet

WC: 100

Nico seemed to think that Drew would want an owl, but they all just looked crabby and intimidating to the younger Knight brother. He found himself wandering away from the perches full of angry-looking birds and towards a tank full of water and decorative rocks.

“Now these are cool!” Drew exclaimed, and reached inquisitively into the tank, drawing out a smooth damp lizard. “WOAH, two heads! Nico, look!” Drew hurried across the shop to stuff the double-ended newt into his brother's face. “Please tell me these are okay to go to Hogwarts!”

Their names would be Batman and Robin.

Extra Credit: Interact with a Class Pet

WC: 118

Drew had been disappointed to hear that his dream lizard(s) were not a permitted Hogwarts pet. Oh well, just cool another thing he wasn't allowed to do. As a consolation prize, Drew moved in during break time for a chance to hold Peanut Butter and Jelly. The newt's tiny lizard feet tickled as it ran up Drew's arm, and made a break to go up his sleeve. Drew deftly plucked the newt up before it could get into his shirt, and let it settle into his cupped hands. The two (or three) of them shared several moments of companionable, manly silence before Drew gently replaced the amphibian in its tank and got ready to go back to class.

Lesson Seven: Talk About Electives

WC: 103

Drew's will definitely take arithmancy to please his father, because Mr. Knight is very...enthusiastic about his career as an arithmancer. The Knight boys are also expected to take muggle studies even though they were raised as muggles, in order to keep their career options open with the Ministry. Once he's signed up for those, who knows how much time Drew will have left to sign up for things that actually interest him. Care of Magical Creatures, probably. As for Runes and Divination, he could be persuaded to take those if his friends did too, but otherwise might avoid bogging down his course load.

Extra Credit: Attend the Lesson

WC: 101 (w/o header)

DREW KNIGHT || VH35

PHP Lesson Seven

Word Count -- 101

Drew Knight had been tricked.  What in the world was so special about Nico's fancy magic school if there was still homework? And essay writing?! WHAT?! Drew had been under the impression that Hogwarts would be all magic and no...well...school.

All of this was running through the boy's head, while his face maintained a neutral-to-mildly-bored expression. If Mrs. Blithe seemed to be looking in Drew's direction, he smiled pleasantly and nodded to indicate listening. The prospect of Magical Creatures was at least a little cooler. If that meant playing with animals like that awesome two-headed newt thing, Drew could do that. 

Edited by Drew Knight

Lesson Eight: Talk About Activities

WC: 87

Drew just wants to stay active and involved with his peers, he'd probably try pretty much anything if it meant that he could spend time with his friends. Nico's already an accomplished quidditch player and since Drew pretty much steers clear of “Nico's” activities, quid is out ((savvy bit of character manipulation there, see what I did?)). However, I could easily see Drew dabbling in dueling. He'd be especially interested in clubs and activities specific to a house, subject, or year. Team spirit and involvement and such.

Extra Credit: Nico Quids, Not Me.

WC: 102

Drew considered the new parchment posted in the common room. Quidditch sign-ups. Drew had honestly thought about going out for quidditch, attracted by the idea of playing a sport and being part of a team. But quidditch seemed to Drew like another thing that unofficially 'belonged' to Nico. Even more so because not even their dad had been on the quidditch team. No, it was probably best to take a pass on quidditch and avoid being the younger, less talented Knight brother yet again. Drew would find his own thing to do. Maybe he'd give this Dueling Club thing a try instead.

Edited by Drew Knight

Lesson Nine: House-y Sort-y Goodness

WC: 143

I try not to pre-decide any of my characters' houses, but Drew's father and brother were/are both Ravenclaws, and I was vaguely hoping to keep the family streak alive. I still think Ravenclaw is the best path—Drew is smart in a lot of ways he doesn't realize, because he's so blinded by his notion of Nico as “the smart brother”. Ravenclaw would give a clever, resourceful kid a chance to understand that there's more to being smart than reading books.

That said, throughout his workbook I've been warming to the idea of Drew as a Hufflepuff. He's personable, not overly concerned with his image, and good to his friends. I could certainly see how someone reading his workbook for the first time would miss the Ravenclaw angle entirely and read him as a Hufflepuff.

Gryffindor could work with some tweaking. Slytherin probably not.

Extra Credit: Do a Nice Thing on Sorting Night

WC: 111

Hang on, come here,” Drew encouraged the NPC, and beckoned his fellow first-year within arms' length. He'd been watching the boy struggle with attempt after attempt to tie the necktie of his uniform, but the kid plainly didn't know how. Businesslike, Drew shook out the half-done knot, and tied the other boy's tie for him, one step at a time.

Start here, make sure they're not even. This side around that side, up through the back, down through this part here, don't pull too hard or you'll bunch it all up.” He smiled. “See? You'll get used to it, my brother says we've got to wear them every day.”

Edited by Drew Knight

WORKBOOK DONE

Lessons 9/9

EC 9/9

((Prize preferences? Ooh fun! If possible it makes IC sense for Drew to go the astro model/quill/ink/stationery route rather than books. But I'm chill no matter what. Thanks! -DK))

Edited by Drew Knight