Welcome back to VH! We've just upgraded our software and themes and still have some fine-tuning to do. Please be patient while we get everything working right!  For information about the changes and to report any bugs or theme issues, please visit the Board Upgrade forum. Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie Perkins

Entertainers Wanted

6 posts in this topic

He'd been singing freedom ever since he'd lost sight of his parents. Charlie had been super excited until he realized he'd be stuck on the train until he was eighty. At least, that's how it felt currently. Ugh. Wouldn't they ever get there? Patience was not a strong point for the boy and he didn't even have anyone there to ask. Where was everyone? He'd thought finding an empty compartment was lucky but now he was bored.

So so so bored.

The boy was practically falling over with it. Charlie had already changed and eaten all the chocolate he'd managed to snag out of his dad's pockets when he'd hugged him goodbye. What was there to do? His mind worked to come up with ideas of things that could entertain him. For a second he eyed his owl, considering setting it free, but what if he lost him? It'd be the end of the world as he knew it so. Charlie sighed dramatically and flung himself back onto the seat, spying someone walking past. "Entertain me!" He called. Maybe they'd hear him, maybe they wouldn't.

The boy couldn't see the future.

Edited by Charlie Perkins

It had been a silly idea to ever let her parents convince her to step foot onto this train. Sure, The Hogwarts Express was truly beautiful, and she had painted her nails in a candy apple red polish to match the, but even that hadn’t stirred up the enthusiasm she had been hoping. At least she had tried, she supposed, but could anything ever soothe the sting of not attending Durmstrang as she’d wanted? Time, maybe, Seraphine thought as she wandered the corridors feeling restless. Why her father hadn’t been able to transport her to school on his own seemed ridiculous. ‘Rite of passage’ was what her parents had said, but Seraphine hadn’t bought it. She’d spent the couple of nights before she was due to board the train herself researching the topic. Apparently, the Ministry decided that students who did not arrive by train wouldn’t be able to attend the school. All the more reason for her to have missed it. Why hadn’t she destroyed her ticket again? …oh, right. After the incident with her Hogwarts letters, Maman knew better. Darnit.

The blond was lost in her thoughts while she imagined what it would be like to arrive at Durmstrang today instead when a voice called out to her. Startled from her thoughts, Sera rattled off a question in German before remembering to speak English.

“Sorry,” she apologized, stepping into the compartment so that she wouldn’t be in anyone’s way, “Why are you incapable of entertaining yourself? Couldn’t you play with your owl? Or read?”

He needed fun.

And sun.

Or maybe just something shiny. Or even better, yummy like chocolate. His high hopes for this ride had been dashed. Charlie was so excited to get there but why did he have to be stuck on the train for so long? Surely they could've used a better, faster mode of transportation. Was this part of some kind of test that his parents in their old age had forgotten? If so, he was basically a goner and not even from just the boredom so. sigh and throw in a couple woe is mes and basically that summed up everything the boy was feeling.

When the girl appeared he was relieved. Someone had heard him and come to his rescue. Right? Except what was with all the questions? "I'm capable.. I just did those things already." He lied. "And now I'm bored and you know, you should entertain me. Did you know boredom can rot your brain? Do you want to be responsible for that?"

Seraphine wondered why he wasn’t still doing those things if he was bored. Wouldn’t common sense say if he continued doing them he wouldn’t be? It occurred to her that he might have finished his book but it was hardly difficult to ask another student to use one of theirs, and even better if he started reading his textbooks. They would have classes soon and when learning something new it was always nice to understand concepts right away. At least, that’s how Seraphine felt with learning Spanish when some of the words were very close to the English or French versions.

“Interesting,” she commented, and took a seat even though he hadn’t offered one, “Tell me more about how boredom rots your brain.” In doing so, he would probably be able to entertain himself because when people were kept talking they hardly noticed time passing, right? “Does yours feel like it’s starting to decay?” she asked with a raised brow before turning toward the owl in its cage. “Is your owl friendly? Does it have a name?” She wanted to hold it.

Charlie understood that he could've actually done one of those things and entertained himself, it was just -- where was the fun in that?! It was always better to get someone to do it for him.. in most aspects that was the case and this was no different so. The boy had already started wondering when the trolley would be by, but he also realized he was meant to be listening. What had she said? Wanting him to tell her more about it.. he wasn't a Professor. He didn't want to drone on and on about something he'd just made up. "Not yet.. but it'll start. Soon, I expect." He frowned. "Looks like I'm going to fail out of Hogwarts before I've even been sorted." As if that were even possible but he heaved a dramatic sigh for good measure.

He'd been so excited when his dad gave him the owl, it was probably the most amazing gift he could've ever been given. Well.. right after the lifetime supply of chocolate but he was still waiting on that one. "He's really nice.. unless I give him the signal not to be." That wasn't actually true as he'd yet to teach him to attack on command. Or at all. But surely the girl wouldn't know that, right? "Er.. did you want to pet him? It's Snickers."

The more time Seraphine spent with this boy the less certain she was that he was telling the truth. He hadn’t offered any information about the process of brain rot except that it would start soon and without an in depth explanation she was starting to suspect that he was just a little overdramatic. Maybe this was how he kept himself entertained…

“I doubt that will happen,” she said seriously. Though her father’s area of expertise was the dueling chamber, he was a helpful man and she was certain the rest of the staff was just the same. At least, they’d better be because he was forcing her to attend Hogwarts. “There has to be plenty of people at school that will help you. That’s what they get paid for.”

Sera was surprised to hear that he’d trained the owl to be mean, “How long did it take to train him? Was it difficult? I wonder if it takes the same amount of time to train them to carry mail. Owls are extremely smart, you know,” but when he asked if she wanted to pet him she scooted closer to the cage without hesitation.

“Hi Snickers,” she cooed, sticking her hand through the bars of the cage to pet his head. “Oooh he’s so cute. Where does his name come from?”