Welcome back to VH! We've just upgraded our software and themes and still have some fine-tuning to do. Please be patient while we get everything working right!  For information about the changes and to report any bugs or theme issues, please visit the Board Upgrade forum. Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Freddie Jaszczak

Summer's growing old, her smile is not so bold

11 posts in this topic

CRACK.

Freddie laughed to himself as he caught sight of Lillian facing her own front door, prepared to hear a knock at any minute. "You're lookin' the wrong way, mate," the Gryffindor pointed out with a smirk. Then again, perhaps apparating into her house instead of appearing outside of it was a little unexpected (and rude, but he doubted Lil would care. They were friends, after all...).

"C'mon then. Do I get a hug or what?" Hopefully she hadn't turned into one of those I only hug my boyfriend and not my boy friends types after going on holiday with Maks. Freddie was yet to have been informed of his friend's activities during her excursion to Russia, but he knew she had plans to tell him today. After all, why else would she have invited him over after only getting back a few days ago?i

After her trip to see Maksim in Russia, Lillian had been excessively bored. Therefore, when she had plans for Freddie to come over, she was waiting at the door, rocking on her heels as she waited for him to arrive. She expected to surprise him by flinging open the door as soon as she saw him… but it was her that was surprised instead. She jumped when she heard Freddie’s voice behind her, inside her house. Turning to face him, her brows shot up and she placed a hand on her hip. “Haven’t you learned apparition etiquette?” She asked teasingly, not really minding… though some warning would have been nice.

“Of course you get a hug,” Lil rolled her eyes, giving Freddie a peculiar look before stepping toward him and wrapping her arms around him. She and Freddie had definitely had their moment where they were more than friends, but that was a long time ago, and it had never culminated into a real relationship. It was back to friends now, and she thought they were likely better that way. Pulling away from the hug, she smiled up at Freddie in that dopey way she’d been using whenever she was about to talk about Maksim.

“Do you want to hear about Russia or would you prefer to talk about yourself for once?” Lil was only half-joking. It seemed Freddie never talked about himself anymore, shying away from answering whenever she probed for details. She was used to it, but he seemed even more reclusive about his life in recent months. She was beginning to wonder if she should be worried.

As far as the Gryffindor boy was concerned, he was totally entitled to abuse his of age privileges - spellcasting and apparition included. Merlin knew he'd waited long enough.

"If there was any kinda etiquette involved, surely they'd'a taught us that before givin' us a permit?" Freddie replied to Lil's question with one of his own. "Besides, there'd be no fun in it if we couldn't just appear in front of people and make 'em jump. You should try it on your sister some time. Classic."

Freddie welcomed Lil's hug with a smile and wrapped his arms around her, pleased to know that she hadn't suddenly turned into an idiot. Then again, there was still time. Hopefully his friend's account of her time in Russia with Maksim wouldn't highlight any changed behaviours.

"Russia it is," he declared as he moved away from Lil. "And don't go tellin' me the weather was good, 'cause I know what Russia's like. Cold, innit?"

A smirk was brought to Lillian’s features at Freddie’s suggestion to try apparating on her sister. “I have been tempted to apparate into her room when she’s sleeping. Give her a fright, probably…” Lil couldn’t help but be amused. Her sister was someone who easily aggravated Lillian… it would be nice to be the one doing the aggravating for once. Darcey did not quite have Lillian’s short temper, but perhaps if she popped back and forth enough…

Lillian laughed as Freddie easily avoided her attempt to direct the conversation onto him and shook her head at his question. “That’s what I thought, too, but it was actually pretty warm! I needed a jacket at night but I even wore shorts,” Lillian told Freddie. “And I’m not lying,” She added as an afterthought, thinking it did sound rather silly to say she’d been parading around in shorts in Russia, which had a reputation as being frigid.

“It was great, though. Maksim took me around the Red Square and he took me shopping,” Lil grinned as she began leading Freddie into her living room, collapsing onto the sofa and patting the spot next to her. “You know how much I love shopping, but he let me pick him out some stuff which was even more fun.” The brunette had definitely had a great time with Maks. She missed him already… she didn’t know how she was going to handle only seeing him on Hogsmeade weekends the upcoming school year.

"Do it. It'll be wicked." And Lillian's sister would be suitably peeved off, of course, but that was a very small and insignificant detail. Besides, it wasn't as if the younger girl could do anything about it...

"Warm? In Russia? And you wore shorts? Are you sure that's where you even went?" Freddie teased his friend, finding it quite hard to believe that she'd actually worn shorts in Russia. Lil had worn several pairs of shorts during their holiday to Portugal last year, but Russia was a totally different ball game. "You sure your boyfriend ain't from the Caribbean or somethin'?"

Of course, he was only messing with her. Lillian was probably used to his antics by now.

Following his friend into her living room, Freddie sat down in the seat beside her. "Nice one. Sounds like you had a decent time. You been up to anythin' else this summer so far?"

“Yesssss, I’m sure,” Lillian stuck out her tongue childishly at Freddie as he teased her, rolling her eyes. “The Caribbean does sound nice, though. I miss nice beaches,” Lil sighed, remembering her trip to Portugal with Freddie the year before. The beach there had definitely been nicer than the closest beach to her house. It was all rocky sand and cold water that was only warm enough to swim in during the hottest summer months.

The brunette shook her head, leaning back and making herself comfortable as Freddie sat next to her. “Nope, nothing doing. I guess other than that I’m pretty boring this summer, but that beats being grounded, huh? You going to have another party?” Lil probed, slowly focusing the attention back on her friend, but in a way that would hopefully not get her snapped at for being nosy.

Post 2,200!

"My great grandparents live by a sick beach in Cuba," Freddie replied with a smirk. "It's one of the most popular ones, so there's loads of girls there," he added. It wasn't as if he'd been particularly enthralled by the beach in Cuba this year, though. He'd still flirted and messed around with a large number of girls during his family's annual trip to visit relatives, but he'd been unable to stop thinking about a certain Hufflepuff the whole time. Ugh.

He'd never tell Lillian that, of course. Talking about his problems was hardly Freddie's style; the Gryffindor knew he had to deal with the thoughts he'd been having on his own.

"Yeah, I guess it does. And I dunno. Maybe," he shrugged. "Did I tell you I've been trainin' with British gymnastics this summer? They didn't do a national competition this year 'cause it's the Olympics, but the coaches said I could'a gone to the Olympics this year if I was eighteen! Looks like I was worryin' over nothin' when I started getting too tall, huh?" It was the most positive of things to have happened all summer; mentioning it to Lillian would, he hoped, stop her from questioning him about anything else he might have done or experienced during the holidays...

Lillian had never been to Cuba, or really anywhere on that side of the world, so she was a bit envious at Freddie’s statement. “That sounds so nice… well, not the girls part but… y’know how much I love the beach,” Lil stated. If she was single she would’ve mentioned how she would’ve liked to meet boys that were certainly on said beach, but she was a taken woman, and thus the only thought she had was how much fun she’d have with Maks if they were able to go to a beach.

Freddie’s words about his gymnastics practice were the first he had uttered about himself, and she soaked them in like a dehydrated sponge. Freddie always kept up this air of mystery, even to his closest friends. She wondered if there was anyone who he divulged all of his secrets to. Getting him to talk about even the most general stuff could be like pulling teeth at times. And while his gymnastics achievements were nothing too personal, they were still something.

“That’s awesome, Freds! I knew you were good, though… I mean, what aren’t you amazing at, after all?” Lil queried, partly joking, but it was also true. Freddie was a natural at a lot of things she couldn’t ever even attempt. “So, those girls in Cuba… ever thought of making one your girlfriend? Orrr you still just... keeping things light?" Lil probed further, wondering if this chatty mood of Freddie's would permeate into other subjects. It was worth a shot, right?

He smiled to himself. "Cheers. It's hard work I guess, but it's well worth it. Coaches reckon I've got one of the most difficult men's floor routines in the world," Freddie replied with a shrug. "They keep commentin' on how I shouldn't be able to do it 'cause I'm tall. Provin' them wrong is great."

Normally he wouldn't have bored Lillian with gymnastics talk; the Gryffindor usually reserved it for the friends who practiced gymnastics themselves, so he could speak in technical language and discuss more complicated matters. However, talking about gymnastics meant he didn't have to talk - or, indeed, think - about certain other aspects of his life.

And then, Lillian had to go and ruin it.

Freddie frowned. "Nah, they're just good fun," he replied, deciding not to say any more. Lillian was hardly his confidant of choice. Then again, he hadn't even sought to discuss his current predicament with his best friend; Bobbi was hardly the person to talk to about girls, considering their romantic history...

Determined to change the subject, Freddie sighed. "You got anythin' good to do here? We can go back to mine if not. Dad finally got the pool fixed."

Hard work seemed like an understatement to Lillian as a description of gymnastics. Her flexibility level was close to zero, not to mention her body strength in general. Gymnasts like Freddie were able to contort their bodies into ridiculous shapes; ones that just hurt her to just think about. “You guessit’s hard work? It’s definitely hard work, Freddie, even if you are a natural,” Lillian commented.

Lil had learned when to drop a subject since being Freddie’s friend, so when he shrugged off her question and (unsurprisingly) didn’t elaborate, she let it drop. She didn’t want to start a row with her friend. She didn’t understand his reluctance to open up to her, but she didn’t press the issue… it wasn’t worth the battle.

“Alright then, Mister Player,” Lil intoned with a smile. She did wonder if Freddie would ever settle down or find someone he’d open up to and actually fall in love with. The romantic in her wanted this for him, but Freddie also seemed the type who would be fine being single the rest of his life. Perhaps they were too young to think about forever (or so the more realistic side of her brain reminded her), but it had never stopped Lillian from doing just that.

“There’s a beach not far from here, it’s about a 10 minute walk. The water’s a little cold and the shore a little rocky but it’s still a beach. But, you know I’m always up for a good pool day. What do you want to do?” Lillian asked, not having a preference for what they did.

"Only sometimes," he replied. "Dealin' with some of the coaches is harder than the actual gymnastics most of the time, y'know? There are so many rules and stuff now I'm in with the British lot." Obviously, anyone who knew Freddie would know - without asking him, of course - that he'd broken a few of these rules. However, some of them were just impossible to get around. It was frustrating, but he supposed he'd have to get used to it if he wanted his shot at the Olympics.

He shrugged off Lil's comment about him being a player. So what if he was? Freddie didn't see any harm in having fun, especially when practically every girl he'd ever struck up a friendship with had sought more than that from the Gryffindor boy at some point.

Instead, he waited for her suggestions before speaking up again. "I don't really care. It's up to you."