Mole

Ask Anything!

99 posts in this topic

So, I was looking through HP canon and I've found like part-vampire/part-humans in the canon. Would someone ever be allowed to apply for a part-vampire? Just curious.  Because some have suggested that perhaps Lorcan d'Eath may have attended Hogwarts? Vampires and humans can intermingle and create part-vampires. What if a vampire and a pureblood had a baby? Would it be magical?

According to this post in the Committee for Character Excellence topic, part-vampires aren't considered to be wizards on VH. They would not be able to attend Hogwarts and they can’t be applied for through the CCE. The child of a vampire and a wizard, then, would be considered to not be magical in the sense that wizards are (such as in being able to perform the kind of magic that wizards can use).

I hope that answers your questions, @Havana Towne.

How do you turn off your signature in a particular post?

Why does it say chocolate frog above my avatar?

Is 68 a small sorting class?  It seems really small, but maybe I just don't remember correctly.

What's the word on the shop and banking systems?

Also, can we not delete our own posts?  *can't figure it out*

Edited by Becky Pottinger
I have more questions, you'd think I was new or something.

Hello @Becky Pottinger!

The new system no longer allows for us to remove our signature for specific posts. You can hide them, but it will hide it on all posts and I believe it will only affect yourself unless you specifically go and remove the signature in your profile settings.

As for the Chocolate Frog, I do believe that is part of the new rank system -- information that can be found here.

Banks and Shops -- I have nothing. I'd assume the task is taking far longer than anyone had anticipated, which is understandable because the forum upgrade was substantial. It'd stand to reason that the task of updating these plugins to work with the new software would be a significant amount of work.

You cannot delete your own posts. You have the option to hide them, but to have them deleted (or moved as the case may be) you can request that in this thread.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

How exactly do linked accounts work?  I want to make sure I understand before I actually link anything.  Is there one main account?  Or are all the accounts equal, just ... linked?  You receive all notifications on all accounts? Can you UN-link them if you decide you don't like it?  Just ... how does it work, what does it do?

Not sure of the mechanics of it but I can answer some hits from the point of view that I have my own few accounts linked 

basically no they're not 'one account' you may switch to briefly log into one or post from one but you still have to switch to them to see the notifications and messages for that account. Basically it just works as a quick change so you can change to check the other accounts with ease, rather than logging back out and going through the trouble of having to log on to a separate account all together. 

If you've ever had accounts linked on google it's kind of the same thing I find. You just go to the button in the corner to switch to another inbox view.

And yes you can unlink if you don't want them together anymore :)

I'm returning to the site after an absence and intending to sort a character in October. And I've been looking around for the bank/shops but I've only seen references and no links.

The new mobile friendly look of the site is either making it confusing to find or they're gone?

Does anyone have a link or am I missing the obvious?

Hi Shiloh!

The bank/shops system is currently unavailable. VH migrated to a new server not long ago, and some of the previous functionalities have yet to be integrated to the new world order - but Weasley (and those helping) are hard at work at getting everything back online! There's also currently no dedicated mobile version of the site too (due to the server upgrade), which is something that Weasley was hoping to address in the future.

You can take a look at the Board Upgrade forum, and put in some search terms, to see what else may have changed.

Hello! Might seem like a dumb question but I'm new to this site and I can't quite get my siggy to work. Whenever I try to insert the image into my signature it only gives me two options, either to copy/paste the image's URL or to 'choose existing attachment'. My siggy doesn't have a URL because I made it myself in photoshop and it's on my computer, nowhere else. I don't know what 'choose existing attachment' means, or how to get the image I created into my signature. Can I have some help? 

Hi Phoebe welcome to VH, hope you're having fun.

I'm not sure in the exact number but to add a signature image I know you need to have a certain number of posts. I notice you have ten, so I assume that's why. 

I think its either twelve or fifteenish so keep posting and then retry! 

Maybe someone else can clarify the number for you though? 

EDIT

i have  just reread your thing and that's not really what you were asking. As far as I know 'choose existing image' is uploading from your own members album which I believe Presorts cannot do, so maybe try upload your image to a site like imgur or tiny pic and link it to get it to show your signature

Edited by Bryony King
I am an eejit

Hi Phoebe <3

Just to add on to that, Bryony is correct, you need to upload your signature to a site such as tinypic or imgur first. You need to get a URL. Also "existing attachment" is referring specifically to images you've already uploaded into your VH album. You can upload an avatar without a URL, but not a signature. You only need 5 posts to upload a signature. 

Gah 

I couldn't think of it 

Thanks Kelly 

Thank you! I got it to work <3

Can I get some sizing suggestions for profile banners?  Everything I've tried ended up looking weird and stretched ...

Hi Neil,

By 'profile banners', I'm assuming you mean the cover photos? I've found that 900 pixels (width) x 200 pixels (height) works for me, and gives me a tiny bit of wiggle room (I really mean 'tiny', it's not much to budge around) to re-position. I've gone up to 250 height as well, to give myself a bit more space, although you still have to keep in mind that if you make your image larger, and you put elements close to the edges, then they might not be visible/might get cut off when you upload it to the actual cover photo space.

Hey! I was trying to code something for a friend, meaning I wanted to code through BB so they could copy-paste the outline. I can't do that clicking the buttons above. I can't figure out how to tab, change font sizes, alter background colors, or many other things I was attempting to do. I wanna know if anyone might have a minin-coding guide for the new board?

I've also noticed that whenever you do write something in BB, it pushes things to the next line at odd places. Is there any fix for this, or for the meanwhile is it just not possible to code complex things through BB code?

Hi!

I turned in my application for the sorting, and they sent it back Saying I needed to fix my name and I thought I did. I looked over there instructions and realized that they meant my display name I fixed my display name and returned it. But my account still says member, so I haven’t been enrolled and I haven’t gotten an acceptance letter. And it’s been 8 days since I fixed it and turned it in. Will I get sorted since I sent it in wrong and turned it in another time I think is correct but than turned it in again correctly?

Edited by Genevieve Dubois

@Genevieve Dubois

Hi Genevieve!

Your name is perfectly fine now. I'm not sure when you last sent in your sorting form, but we did receive it (and have now accepted it!) at some point today so we'll have no problem sorting you this year! Welcome to VH, we're glad to have you! Please feel free to post here in this topic if you have any further questions about how the site works. 

@Atlas Wyrmwort  Hi Atlas! Sadly, the board upgrades have made BB coding more difficult nowadays. You can find an overview of the most recent post editor here.

Essentially, the current post creator/editor takes both BB code and pre-formatted text (WYSIWYG). You can use either method (or both) to achieve your formatting goals. The buttons above the editor are used to format text - instead of inserting BB tags, they actually apply the formatting to your text. If you want to use BB tags, you'll need to type them in manually. However, if you submit a post with BB code and then try to edit it, the BB code will no longer be accessible - you will have only the formatted text. 

Here are a few (mostly outdated) resources on BB coding: PHP Lesson 2, The Great Coding Library"How do I format my siggy or post?". I don't think that there exists a complete guide to coding on the new board. It's probably worth noting that most named colors no longer work, you'll need to use the hexadecimal codes instead. (Some basic color names are supported, just not very many.) It is also worth noting that the current editor supports font stacks, just like CSS does.

As for tabs, I don't actually know how (if?) you can use them, but may I recommend using spaces? The editor no longer eats extra whitespace, so you can definitely use multiple spaces to separate your text as needed. 

Background color is adjusted with the "background" tag, and font size is simply the "size" tag. (I believe sizes 1-8 work.)

Unfortunately though, I don't think there's a fix for weird line breaks. In my experience, BB coding isn't as smooth or reliable as it used to be (I used to LOVE it and now I do most of my coding with the WYSIWYG buttons instead QQ) especially since you need to save your source code in order to edit the BB tags later. 

You can share your coding creations with friends without the BB code though! Formatted text can be copy/pasted into the editor. (This works best in Firefox I think? Sometimes Chrome messes up parts of my formatting when I copy/paste.)

Feel free to find me on AIM (or send me a PM) if you'd like to chat more about coding! :wub:

Can someone go over the rules with getting an avatar please? They’re one of the main reasons I got confused about the rules.

Hello, Genevieve!

Since the board change, the rules around graphics have changed a bit. Personal/customized avatars like the ones we professors/students have are technically only available to sorted students. They get uploaded to the site's gallery and unsorted students are not allowed to upload to the gallery (because of bandwidth limitations). Those unsorted students that do have their own avatars have usually reached out to older students or used their sorted student alter accounts to upload them. his is more explained here by Weasley. Hopefully that helps clarify some things for you. 

Once you're sorted on Monday, though, you'll be able to upload your own avatar to your account!

Hi @Genevieve Dubois,

While the lovely Professor Althaus is right that accounts in the "member" group cannot upload avatars of their own to use, this no longer applies to you. As soon as your sorting form is accepted you are moved to the "enrolled" member group, and have avatar permissions just like sorted students. This includes you!

To change your avatar, simply click on your own profile, and click on the button highlighted on the picture below. 

kaCKqSG.png

From there you can upload your avatar, either directly from your computer or using a URL link from another website (such as imgur). Avatars need to be under 50kb in size in order to be uploaded, and if you find yours is a little too big, you can use tinypng.com to shrink the file size and try reuploading it.

Hope this helps, and have a wonderful sorting on Sunday!

One of my idiots made the wrong name on VHOT.

They meant to be Noah Frost.

The name change thread won't allow me to reply. There's only an option to create a new thread in the area. So now I'm not too sure where we request name fixes for VHOT. Anyone mind letting me know what I should do to get that fixed for him?