Mole

Ask Anything!

Professor Llwyd

IC Hogsmeade weekends are not currently tied to specific IC dates on VH. If you want a specific date, I'd suggest you go ahead and declare whichever day you want to be a weekend as one in your roleplay. Otherwise, you can do what I do and vaguely reference when the weekend is taking place (I often refer to the month rather than a specific weekend). Congratulations on making it to third year!

Alaina Matthews

Thanks. I know in canon Hogsmeade was limited to certain weekends, and I couldn't recall which month the first one took place (October, maybe?). That first Hogsmeade trip is what makes third year special. ^_^

Edited by Alaina Matthews

Professor Bourdelle

I did some digging and according to HP wiki, at least, in the books the first trip does indeed take place in early October. Hope that will give you a general idea for that first trip setting. :wub:

Phillip Aldermaston

This is here because it’s a “silly” question more than because it’s a small question.

So I have a question about Phillip’s siblings. Bear with me because there is a lot of introduction in order for the question to make sense – the question is fairly simple, I promise – pretty sure this is just me having a brainfart and forgetting how maths works.

So, Anthony (Phillip’s older brother) was a VH27 Ravenclaw and I figured out his birthday as being Halloween of the appropriate year which meant 2017 if I read the ‘when’s your character’s birthday’ right – that works fine. There were no problems there.

Then I sorted Phillip and he was easy enough to work out because one)Phillip started Hogwarts year after Anthony’s seventh year and two)I knew I needed a summer birthday because I needed room for other things for continuity reasons. So Phillip ended up with August 23rd as a birthday.

Phillip’s older siblings were a bit more difficult since I knew I needed them to be a)NOT Phillip’s co-triplets, b)in the same academic year to Phillip and c)not at Hogwarts and d)for neither of them to be boys. Again, for continuity reasons that I won’t go into here.

After some thought, I realized that what I needed here was twin girls who were a)eleven months older than Phillip and b)squibs. That solved that problem because I figured that I needed a Sep 2024 birthday for the girls and an Aug 2025 birthday for Phillip. Again, that’s providing that I did the maths right and read the ‘when is my character’s birthday’ thread correctly.

Phillip’s little siblings, however, aren’t as easy as that. I needed a way of separating these twins temporarily but both to end up at Hogwarts for again, continuity reasons with something else that I’m not going to get into and I figured out how to do this. Namely, take advantage of how the school year works and place their birthdays straddling the Aug 31st/Sep 1st divide so older twin (girl, if you care) born shortly before midnight on 31st August and younger twin (boy, if you care) born shortly after midnight on 1st Sep.

Great – so I have the days and months of the younger twins’ birthdays sorted out at this point. The problem is that I have no idea which year they should be born in order to make the girl-twin start the year after Phillip’s seventh year and for the boy-twin to start Hogwarts when his twin sister is a second year (so boy-twin would be starting two years after Phillip’s seventh year). I’m sure I’m going to go “D’oh! Of course!” when I’m told hence this question’s placement in the no matter how quick/silly thread. Anyone know?

Voldric Tagnikzur

For the girl twin to be sorted the same year Phillip becomes an alumnus and the boy twin to be sorted the year after, they will have to be born:

Girl twin: 31st August, 2032

Boy twin: 1st September, 2032

I just continued to add to the 'When is my character's birthday?' timeline. If you need to double check my math to be certain, here it is:

Phillip: 23rd August 2025

1st. VH34 - On or after 1st September 2024 and before 1st September 2025

2nd. VH35 - On or after 1st September 2025 and before 1st September 2026

3rd. VH36 - On or after 1st September 2026 and before 1st September 2027

4th. VH37 - On or after 1st September 2027 and before 1st September 2028

5th. VH38 - On or after 1st September 2028 and before 1st September 2029

6th. VH39 - On or after 1st September 2029 and before 1st September 2030

7th. VH40 - On or after 1st September 2030 and before 1st September 2031

Alu. VH41 - On or after 1st September 2031 and before 1st September 2032 <-- girl twin

Al2. VH42 - On or after 1st September 2032 and before 1st September 2033 <-- boy twin

Phillip Aldermaston

For the girl twin to be sorted the same year Phillip becomes an alumnus and the boy twin to be sorted the year after, they will have to be born:

Girl twin: 31st August, 2032

Boy twin: 1st September, 2032

I just continued to add to the 'When is my character's birthday?' timeline. If you need to double check my math to be certain, here it is:

Phillip: 23rd August 2025

1st. VH34 - On or after 1st September 2024 and before 1st September 2025

2nd. VH35 - On or after 1st September 2025 and before 1st September 2026

3rd. VH36 - On or after 1st September 2026 and before 1st September 2027

4th. VH37 - On or after 1st September 2027 and before 1st September 2028

5th. VH38 - On or after 1st September 2028 and before 1st September 2029

6th. VH39 - On or after 1st September 2029 and before 1st September 2030

7th. VH40 - On or after 1st September 2030 and before 1st September 2031

Alu. VH41 - On or after 1st September 2031 and before 1st September 2032 <-- girl twin

Al2. VH42 - On or after 1st September 2032 and before 1st September 2033 <-- boy twin

Thank you! That is genuinely really helpful!

The maths working through is useful too.

Havana Towne

So. Timeturners were a thing in both the third book, cursed child, and the very potter musicals. Do such things exist on VH and would one need like a special permission to own one?

Edward Borage

I'd really like to format stuff in my posts when I use the iPad but apparently it won't let me. There are no options at the top and manual coding doesn't seem to work either. This is in the advanced options and not the quick post. Cutting and pasting also didn't work - it all came out plain.

Tarquin Pomfrey-Corner

Havana: If I recall from Cursed Child, all of the time turners were said to have been destroyed from the HP Series when the fight in the Department of Mysteries happened except for the one that was used in CC. Likely, more have been made by now but as they are so important and powerful, you would need special permission like Hermione had to get one in the third book to take all of her subjects. Hope this helps! Edit: Read more about them here. :)

Edward: I am looking into this now. If someone has an answer right away, please share. Otherwise, I'll try posting from my tablet and get back to you.

Edited by Tarquin Pomfrey-Corner

Lucia Isaacs
Edward, what browser are you using on your iPad? I recall having similar issues in Safari when I owned one but not in Chrome or Firefox. This might help resolve the problem... Unless it's in all browsers, of course!

Edward Borage

Safari...new to apple tech so it could be that. There doesn't seem to be an option in the mobile view either. I'll see if I can't get another browser up and work from there. Or else you know fire up the laptop as I usually do.

Actually it's likely to be a different issue because I've just tried it on the android phone and its the same. Stupidly I clicked an update thingy on the iPad and now it's doing that and completely interrupting everything by not letting me do anything

Edited by Edward Borage

Professor Quayle

Hi Edward! I'm posting using Safari on iOS right now (and Chrome is similar in my experience). Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to access VH's coding buttons even with JavaScript properly enabled but I am able to manually code in both full version and mobile view. Here's some fancy bold red text for example.

I'm not sure why manual coding isn't working for you, unless perhaps your tags were broken or maybe you were trying to use HTML instead of BBCode? Here's a sample bold tag you can try:

[b]Bold text![/b]
You should be able to just copy and paste that, but let me know if that's still not formatting correctly and I'll try to look into it again.

Grace Foster

Is there and option for "Printer Friendly" versions of threads? I want to start saving some of my homework that will otherwise vanish, but when it's a class discussion than means a lot of copying and pasting and deleting formatting to keep it from being ridiculous. I seem to remember the last site had a printer friendly option, but if that exists here I am missing it. (Also does it matter which skin you use?)

Professor Bourdelle

Hi Grace. :wub:

If you scroll down to the very bottom of the thread you're wanting to print, there should be a little mini-printer icon. Click on that and it'll take you to a printer-friendly version of the thread for you do as you wish with. I tested it too and it should be visible regardless of what skin you use.

Heulwen Gittins

I have an idea for a person whose backstory would have had her have magical care for a disability, not to be role-played out, but mentioned as one of the first big uses for magic she has seen which would impress her so would that be okay to do. I know the characters are supposed to be disabled so wanted to ask if mentioning this would be in this context acceptable but in game she would be fit.

Also I was planning on having my character join the Royal Army as a career, or failing that would want a Muggle career, so how would we handle her preparation for the GCE exams she would need them for English, Mathematics and Science at least to optimize career options (apprenticeships, trade schools or the armed forces entry)? I know this is an oddball thing but she is Muggleborn and not stupid there are many more careers among her people than among magical folk available and many not available at all such as using technology. So she would want likely supported by her parents the best selection of options doing the core classes but not wishing to take electives if it can be worked out with the faculty at that time to work on the Muggle exams I noted. Well this is a different approach to the setting but makes sense in the modern age if Muggleborn or a Half-blood raised in the Muggle world so finds it more appealing to focus on working in. Or is the idea stupid for the game?

Grace Foster

O-kaay

This is interesting. I had to have Jake show me a screenshot only to find out I don't have those icons (at all). So is there some sort of formatting option I might have accidentally turned off that I can turn on again?

Professor Bourdelle

This problem has been resolved, but for anyone who finds themselves with a similar issue- be sure to check and make sure that ad-blocker hasn't eaten your buttons. It likes to do that sometimes and that was the issue here. :wub:

Lucia Isaacs

Hello and welcome! :wub:

Here on VH, sorting happens after two terms of 8rl weeks in length + a few for holidays. This handy thread by Weasley currently says that Sorting will begin in May. That's when our sorting form will open and you'll be able to submit your form to the Sorting Hat to get your sorted.

In the meantime, if you follow Snape's rules here and post in that thread, you'll be able to have your username changed to one that is a character name that you can start using for your character. To keep you occupied between now and May, there's tons of stuff you can do over at Pre-Hogwarts Primary, in Diagon Alley (including getting a wand at Ollivander's!) and even check out VH Off Topic to find some plots for your character.

If you need any help with anything, PM a prefect or Professor (or post here!) and we'll do our best to help.

Heulwen Gittins

I have a question now characters in game can't have major disabilities, and I read minor things are likely okay a need for glasses. But can I reference pre-game in a history going to the magical hospital to have "childhood issues corrected to become fit" in that kind of way. And have that affect her personality she clearly will love magic just for doing that.

Also IRL I'm disabled and need a viewing screen and such to type but need the automatic formatting and such when posting and some things aren't working I can't do say format, do bold and color it won't all work so might have issues posting in some cases where I would need to code. That manually is very hard to do for me. So is this going to be an issue I found in Pre-Hogwarts Lesson Two it was. But don't think in the main it should be unless I need to do graphics or something in a thread. I just needed to find out if this is a problem playing this could be hard for me. And I really like the game.

Fronsac

Hi Heulwen! I sincerely apologize for how long it's taken for you to receive a response to your question. After reading what you shared, I agree with how completing the homework assignment for Lesson Two might be challenging for you. As an alternative, I hope the extra credit option(s) might be more feasible for you to complete. If so, I can ensure you receive formal credit for completing this lesson.

If you happen to have any other questions or concerns pertaining to this subject, please feel free to reach out. :wub:

Havana Towne

I was honestly wondering this for a while because before VH went down for the upgrade it said when Term 2, Week 1 started it was also March 1st. That to me doesn't make sense because that would mean the students were off the Hogwarts campus for a good 2 and half months. Am I wrong or should the end of the break be something like mid January/early Feb? I'm just curious on that.

Phillip Aldermaston

Please tell me the 'new board, new rating' thing is an April Fool's joke?  

Scrimgeour

Hi Havana! I updated the calendar after the board switch to reflect the added week to the school year, and with it I also updated the month starts. I can't recall when 1st March was before, but as of now it's falling in the toward the end of week 2 (on Friday).

Hi Phillip! Our new rating is no joke! We realize it might come as a shock to a lot of you and there will definitely be a transition period to get used to, but we really believe everyone will be happier in the long run. Please let me or any other moderator know if we can help you adjust in any way. 

Veronica Dursley

Hello lovelies!

I was wondering something. I know we have like a post restriction on sigs, and with the upgrade does that reflect into the status update too? Just curious.

- Vernie D.

Disregard this. I found out I didn't have status enabled. I'm a fail. I know.

Edited by Veronica Dursley