Weasley

Technical issues and errors

Jessica Sheffield

I went to change the profile information, by deleting everything in there from the old board and write them all over again and i still get this error code = #10218 . i tried adding a fake birthday just in case but still nothing. And the same happens to all of my accounts. I haven't yet tried firefox but if someone uses chrome and has figured things out let me know.

I have this problem with everything in my profile.

I tried to type in my AIM address in the box and got 'One of the fields you filled in requires values in a specific format, but the value you supplied did not meet this format ('Website URL').'

I tried to edit my birthday, profile, etc, and got the same error message for all. Even if I wasn't even putting URLs in there?

Oh, I figured it out. I had to delete the http:// from the website URL box, and that allowed me to edit... everything else. So just, um, ignore me!

Edward Braelin-VonHaus

The board signs me out after a period of inactivity. I've had the window open all day, and when I clicked for the VH home page, Iwas logged out. It's happened twice today.

I use Firefox/CastleSkin if that helps any. XD

Alice Bogswead

Is this in all the skins, or just one? Might help address what the problem is. If it's skin dependent it's probably in the coding (which I can just fix) but if not it's probably a software issue.

I know the new software will have some issues and will be frustrating, but some things are just aesthetic or are changes to the way the software functions, and we'll have to get used to them. There are really some AWESOME features that we hope you guys will like!

I checked all the skins, as well as a different browser (FF), but no change. </3

Viridian

The board signs me out after a period of inactivity. I've had the window open all day, and when I clicked for the VH home page, Iwas logged out. It's happened twice today.

I use Firefox/CastleSkin if that helps any. XD

To be honest, this used to happen to me on old!VH and happens on many websites requiring logins. I'm guessing this is just an additional security feature.

Alexa McPherson

Not to jump on the coding complaint bandwagon (I'm not complaining as much as really sad at the problems I'm encountering), but both myself and a friend have spent the last hour and a bit trying to work the code for my CL and while the code itself is perfect with no loose coding tags or anything like that, it's just not working.

We've tried using different coding tags, toggling the preview board between BB coding and basic 'change the colour and choose a font'. It doesn't work in either setting.

We made progress as far as colour tags go, but the board keeps eating my italic and bolding codes, as well as my font and sizing leaving the entire thing a jumbled mess of fonts and sizes and types of writing. I don't know if this belongs here, but really we have no idea what to do our how to work the coding system on the new board in our favour here D:

Please let me know if this doesn't belong here, but I really just need some help or explanation on how to fix this :(

Edit: The board even ate my coding in this post I suck omg ;-;

Edited by Alexa McPherson

Viridian

Not to jump on the coding complaint bandwagon (I'm not complaining as much as really sad at the problems I'm encountering), but both myself and a friend have spent the last hour and a bit trying to work the code for my CL and while the code itself is perfect with no loose coding tags or anything like that, it's just not working.

We've tried using different coding tags, toggling the preview board between BB coding and basic 'change the colour and choose a font'. It doesn't work in either setting.

We made progress as far as colour tags go, but the board keeps eating my italic and bolding codes, as well as my font and sizing leaving the entire thing a jumbled mess of fonts and sizes and types of writing. I don't know if this belongs here, but really we have no idea what to do our how to work the coding system on the new board in our favour here D:

Please let me know if this doesn't belong here, but I really just need some help or explanation on how to fix this :(

Edit: The board even ate my coding in this post I suck omg ;-;

Sorry you're having issues :( Looking at your CL, some of it is probably just the sheer amount of tags/coding in through posts. Which makes it harder to look through/analyze what might be causing a problem. My thought is maybe some of the coding isn't nested correctly (such as [size*][color*]CONTENT[/size*][/color*]) or that sort of thing, though I can't say for sure without looking at everything individually. If we find anything big that changed with BB codes other than the sizes and indent, we'll certainly say something, but in personal experience thus far, I haven't had too many coding issues myself.

Madam Wilde-Hextor

I've been having coding issues too, just to throw it out there. Nothing as jumbled as Alexa's, but the board has been eating some of my strikethrough and underline tags.

I've also been getting Alice's issues of added lines with indent tags - if I preview repeatedly they keep adding and adding.

Adora Crawford
I've just received this error message. It left me logged in when I pressed the sign out button in the top right hand corner of the castle skin.

Julia Banner

This is a beautiful collection of links. This is what it keeps changing to without warning while previewing or submitting an edit. All the code at the top and bottom stays intact but the links just turn into that hot mess and I have no idea why.

I'm on Chrome, using Castle skin, and I do not use the rich text editor. The tags are all nested correctly. Sometimes the post goes through and other times it does this nastiness. I really hope it's not the amount of links that's the problem because this list is only going to get longer as the term goes on. D:

Edited by Julia Banner

Bobbi Anne Bulstrode

I have a weird thing happening with my PM's (now conversations I guess?). It's showing up in my notifications that I got replies to messages I sent people, and I got the same notifications via E-mail. But when I go into my messages, it's not there.

Also, when I post things on the mobile version it's taking out all the quotation marks and apostrophes in my post. I'm not entirely sure if this is because I'm copying & pasting stuff or if I just need to use the full version? But it's only happening on the mobile version of VH.

Edited by Bobbi Anne Bulstrode

Marie-Claire Abienne

Um, I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this problem, but whenever I close my browser, and then reopen it and come to VH it has logged me off of one account and logged me into the account of an alt. I am just finding it really frustrating that it is doing this. It isn't a big or pressing problem, just an annoyance.

^ this happens to me too. It seems to be intermittent for me, however and only happens on Chrome (although I only use Firefox for one of my charries).

Palatino linotype is gone as a font from the font list, also but still works with tags (. Neither of these are major issues, but just random quirks I've noticed.

THANKS <3

What I'm finding with the alt thing is that if I'm logged in on Chrome on my laptop as Dexter, and then use Chrome on my phone (where I'm always logged in with my alumni), my next visit to a computer will see me logged in on Chrome as my alumni, which leaves me all kind of confused.

Haven't tested with other browsers, though.

Haven't seen this addressed yet. I have the same issue as Ottilie; every time my browser [FF] closes, voluntary or otherwise, and I reopen it, I'll be logged in as Claire. Quidditch nightmares.

Also, I can't seem to post in Arial Narrow anymore? But my whole CL was done in Arial Narrow; what does this look like for other people?

edit: some people have told me they see my CL in Arial Narrow, others have told me they see it in some serif font, and everyone has told me that my post has visible font tags :c

Edited by Marie-Claire Abienne

Poppy Yates

Justify tags.

Hokay, so before the server switch was done, I went all nuts and justified all the posts in Poppy's CL. However, I was just tweaking the coding for the CL in terms of font sizes and stuff and realized that despite my posts still being justified, the [justify][/justify] tags aren't being used. And the site won't recognize the justify tags in terms of coding. So I'm not sure what is going on / if that ramble made sense? D:

Edit: Nope, just be being a fool. Justify tags had to be placed outside the indent tags for them to work. Thanks Julia <333

Edited by Poppy Yates

Atlee Brom

Not really sure why this happened and I doubt it's a big deal:

DCM #2 in classic skin looks like this - VH castle is totally fine

I haven't used the classic skin until now so maybe this really isn't an issue?

Julia Banner

Hey Atlee. I see that too, and I don't think it was a glitch, but I don't think it was intentional either.

We have a background color tag now, so on top of choosing the color of your text you can change the color behind it as well. This means if you use the rich text editor mode and paste in text that had a background color other than white, the editor will retain that background color as well.

That background color in Madam Hessler's post is actually the same as the old Castle background. My guess is she had the text saved from an old VH preview on a program that also retains background color (Google Docs, for instance). If she pasted that into VH's rich text editor, then the editor would have noticed the background color and automatically coded it into her post.

She might not have noticed when she posted because there's only a slight difference between the old Castle background color and the new one, but as you observed there's a big difference when you view it on another skin. It might be a nice idea to PM Madam Hessler about this in case she doesn't know about it yet. c:

Alexis made this pretty example to show more obviously how background colors work. <3 She calls it light pink on rose pink. And if you want to change the text color when you use a background color like she has here, the color tag needs to go inside of the background tag like so:

[background=#d95e5e][color=#fff0f5]words go here~[/color][/background]

Kingsley Shacklebolt

I can't use either the bank or the shop. I just get a blank page with 'You are not allowed to use the bank/shop.' when I click either of those tabs.

Morrigan Stanislaus

Not sure if this was mentioned before... but when copying and pasting from Word, (where I type up everything first), when I go to post, my apostrophes and quotations marks do not show up; I have to erase each one and replace it.

Also, why no book antiqua in the dropdown? :( Not that it really matters because i code it in anyway but still; wanted to mention it.

Simon Armistead

Hey, Morrigan! A couple of other people have been having the same issue and Arianna addressed it here:

Hey Noel and Tarquin. Have you tried using the paste from word option? In the second row of tools in the default editor, there are different paste methods. One of them has a little word logo (the blue w) and if you click that, it brings up a box for you to input text from word into and then I think it converts it. However, I’m not sure if it works so I’m testing it with this post. I’ve typed this all out in word and am now using that functionality. If you can see all the stuff you were missing, then it worked! Yay! If not, I’m not sure how to fix it.

“Testing speech marks”

I hope that helps your first point!

Professor Toyama

I am having some trouble with keeping the speech marks/color tags. I copied a lesson from another post, not using rich text editor, and the post ate all of the quotation marks and two color tags I had in it. :(

Edited by Professor Toyama

Bernadette Umbridge

I guess this is along the lines of the curvy vs straight quotations (sort of?), but when I use an en dash or em dash... the board eats them right up. :/ I'm not sure if this is fixable. I've already changed my Word settings to force straight quotations for the board but I'm not sure what to do about the dashes. :c

Also...in what you see is what you get mode, even though I select my entire post and change the font size/type... it still shows various font types and sizes within my post when I preview. Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you <3

Edit: I selected arial for this post but it came out verdana? :c But in the edit box it shows as Arial??? I went into the coding mode and changed it but I honestly don't understand what's happening :c

Edited by Bernadette Umbridge

Arianna Wright

I can't use either the bank or the shop. I just get a blank page with 'You are not allowed to use the bank/shop.' when I click either of those tabs.

Hey Kingsley! Thank you for letting me know. I checked the files and indeed, Order of the Phoenix was not included in the authorized groups. Don't know for sure how that happened, but I do know I was perhaps working with an older copy of the files, so maybe it just wasn't in that version. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure nothing can be done about it until Weasley gets back as he is the one who directly accesses the files the site uses. Sorry!

If there is anyone else who used to have permissions in the shop/bank and no longer has them, please let me know so we can get on getting that fixed!

Graham Rockwell

Um, I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this problem, but whenever I close my browser, and then reopen it and come to VH it has logged me off of one account and logged me into the account of an alt. I am just finding it really frustrating that it is doing this. It isn't a big or pressing problem, just an annoyance.

I'm having a similar problem. The site isn't logging me into a different account, but it is logging me in on its own after I sign out. I don't even have to close the browser (I'm using Opera) for this to happen.

EDIT: I think I figured out what was happening so it seems to be fixed, but if it happens again I'll let you know.

Edited by Graham Rockwell

Daniel Devereaux-Snyder

So the error I've been having for the past few minutes or so has been that the site dies and Opera gives me this error:

This webpage is not available

Opera could not load the webpage because www.virtual-hogwarts.org took too long to respond. The website may be down, or you may be experiencing issues with your internet connection.

But I know for a fact my internet is working because my phone was still connected to it and AIM immediately logs me out the second I lose signal - it didn't. When I got that error I tried inputting VH here and it said that the site was down. Afterward it loaded then about a few seconds later I got the same Opera error that the website was unavailable. Also the full editor would not load for me, I'd just get the castle background and nothing else. It did however, let me post using the "quick reply"/default posting option found at the bottom of a thread. It loaded now but it wasn't before while I was trying to reply to a duel.

Just thought I'd bring it up in case anyone else is having this problem <3

Edited by Daniel Snyder

Séarlait Ng

I am having the same issue. It's nothing that I cannot handle but it is frustrating.

Edited by Séarlait Ng

Marie-Claire Abienne

I am having the same issue. It's nothing that I cannot handle but it is frustrating.

To add onto this, if there is no way around this issue, is there a way of 'resetting' VH for the character logged in? I know Claire was the first character I logged onto with new!VH, but I'd prefer if a different student was the 'default' to be logged in. I could see it coming in handy. Edited by Marie-Claire Abienne

Alexis Endicus

To add onto this, if there is no way around this issue, is there a way of 'resetting' VH for the character logged in? I know Claire was the first character I logged onto with new!VH, but I'd prefer if a different student was the 'default' to be logged in. I could see it coming in handy.

I'd suggest clearing your cookies and then logging into the new 'default' account and see if it works as a reset.

Edited by Alexis Endicus