• Pixie
  • Nemesis
  • Filius
  • Lake
  • Lily
Weasley

Technical issues and errors

Heather Unwin

Spacings are weird in general >.< Sometimes, even though I add a spacing between paragraphs, it disappears when I post. This problem can be fixed if I double space but the problem is that it seems inconsistent...and that is hell on coders :c

Also, is it just me or are line spacings between just bigger in general? Or is is supposed to be that way?

Elarinya Thanrion

Okay, I tried editing and saving it, but it kept giving me this

You Must Enter Post

As for the colortags, yes I clicked the light switch to enter my coding and color was the only tags that disappeared, it posted in black and when I edited they were ....gone!

Thank you so much Weasley <33

Alexis Endicus

This is pretty tiny but when I went to update my profile info, it said that my website URL was too long :( I had it linked to my CL and I like it when people do that, makes it easier to find CLs etc so I had to take it out and it makes me sad.

If it's possible, could you make the website URL longer so I can use it to link the CL? :wub:

Edited by Alexis Endicus

Weasley

Argh, sorry. I want to fix everything now, but I haven't washed dishes in 4 days and I have a 6am flight to catch tomorrow. If I don't step away from my computer, something nasty is going to come to life in my kitchen while I sleep through my vacation. ><

Keep posting things you notice. I'll work on them when I can. <3

Ettie O'Malley

Regarding the 'deleted' on messages, it usually just means that the other person has deleted that PM. (So it should show up in new PMs too when the other person has deleted a PM/~conversation~ that you are still keeping.)

One error I'd like to address that may or may not show up (from previous experience): Long posts may turn into html code. This may become a problem in some character libraries and even in normal posts. That's why you get <br> and long chunks of text sometimes much like the <span> error we had in the past, but there are converters online for turning HTML to BBcode if you don't want to redo the entire CL or post again. :)

Also, when you click 'find content' for a member you can only see 12 months worth of content before it cuts off. ._.

Edited by Ettie O'Malley

Saoirse Leann Whelan

I'm not sure if this was intention or not, but when I'm in the Classic VH format for the board, the little icon for each forum is highlighted when the forum has been "read" and dimmed (I'm not sure if that's the right word) when there are "unread" topics. Am I making sense? Lol!

Edited by Weasley
Yup, makes sense. Fixed! ~Weasley

Tarquin Pomfrey-Corner

So apparently this new board does not work with Google Chrome. Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem as me but when I go to reply to PMs or post in a topic, the box is there but I can't click in it so I can't post. I had to log in on Firefox so that I could post this! I really like Chrome and I have a different browser for all of my characters so it would really mess me up if I had to cut Chrome out for VH stuff. :( I even played around with settings and stuff and nothing seemed to work. QQ If anyone has a solution, I would love to know! Thanks.

Narcissus Midnight

So apparently this new board does not work with Google Chrome. Not sure if anyone else is having the same problem as me but when I go to reply to PMs or post in a topic, the box is there but I can't click in it so I can't post. I had to log in on Firefox so that I could post this! I really like Chrome and I have a different browser for all of my characters so it would really mess me up if I had to cut Chrome out for VH stuff. :( I even played around with settings and stuff and nothing seemed to work. QQ If anyone has a solution, I would love to know! Thanks.

Try running Chrome in Incognito Mode first (Ctrl+Shift+N) just to see if it's not some plugin interfering with the site first. (I'm not having any issues at the moment and I'm using Chrome.)

Edited by Narcissus Midnight

Tarquin Pomfrey-Corner

Try running Chrome in Incognito Mode first (Ctrl+Shift+N) just to see if it's not some plugin interfering with the site first. (I'm not having any issues at the moment and I'm using Chrome.)

That worked. Do you know how to fix it in regular Chrome so that I don't have to be in this mode all the time? D: This has never happened to me and I am very sad about it. The fact that I couldn't fix it was really bugging me. And still is. <_<

Narcissus Midnight

That worked. Do you know how to fix it in regular Chrome so that I don't have to be in this mode all the time? D: This has never happened to me and I am very sad about it. The fact that I couldn't fix it was really bugging me. And still is. <_<

Honestly there could be any number of things that could be causing this, but my first guess is that it's some extension interfering with the site. What I would suggest is to open your Settings and click Extensions and disable them one by one (then reload the site) to see if it clears up the issue. If it disappears at any given point, then that extension would be the one causing the problem and you'll either have to replace it with another one, or remove it entirely.

Clearing your cache might help too, but try the extensions bit first.

Tarquin Pomfrey-Corner

It was not my extensions so I had to clear ALL of my data a few times and now it is working. That was super annoying but at least we know what it is now. I had already cleared most of it before but it seems it wanted ALL OF IT GONE. :( I'll live. XD Thanks! :wub:

Narcissus Midnight

I'm glad you got it working at least, sorry I couldn't be of more help! :c

A little note for the future though, you probably only needed to remove the cache and cookie information from VH itself. If you go in to your advanced settings, you could have purged them manually instead of having to delete everything out of Chrome.

Edit: Further apologies, I only just saw the note about only Prefects+ answering questions. T_T

Edited by Narcissus Midnight

Savannah Chancellor

Okay so color codes for me only work if you put in the exact code but not if you just spell out the name.

For example:

hello[/*color] doesn't work but does[/*color].

Is there any way to fix this so that we can use both the name and/or the code for the color? Because it is so much easier for me at least to be able to type the name (e.g. "darkgoldenrod" for Hufflepuff <3) than use the hex code.

Thank you!!

Edited by Savannah Chancellor

Professor Ripley

Apparently the [indent*] tags have disappeared. And I don't mean just not working, I have posts that used to have indent tags in that appear to have lost this tag? [list*] is still working.

You can see what I mean here, as it's got a working list but the past winners bit at the bottom, which was previously indented, is now all left aligned.

Edit: this has also, like, messed up quite a bit of coding in the Ravenclaw tower ;_;

Edited by Professor Ripley

Addison Curtis

I've noticed that when I custom code things they work, but if I go back through and try to edit with light-switch up then it kills parts of my code. I've noticed it mostly in my edits for links. If I alter it so the color of the link/underline are different colors then it'll remove those edits if I step out of the custom coding area. As far as I know that's the only real issue when flipping between the two/re-editing things.

Also - this issue is hardly significant - but my tags for +nico aren't showing up as searchable and I assume it's due to that plus sign at the beginning of the tag. If it's easier than we can find a different way to tag our plots. If this is fixable please don't put a rush on it. There are far more important tasks at hand than a hashtag <3

Barnabas The Barmy

I went to change the profile information, by deleting everything in there from the old board and write them all over again and i still get this error code = #10218 . i tried adding a fake birthday just in case but still nothing. And the same happens to all of my accounts. I haven't yet tried firefox but if someone uses chrome and has figured things out let me know.

Julia Banner

Ripley, indent tags work, you just need to specify how far to indent in the tag itself.

Like this is indent=1.

This is indent=2.

Indent=3.

c:

Aloysius Knightly

Okay. This is a really minor issue, but it is bugging me and will mess up my coding so I just need an answer on it. So, all of my font sizes have gotten really messed up and I'm not sure why. Did you change how sizing works? In my character library, for example, all of my text is way smaller than I had coded it to be. I don't know if this is just a problem I am having, or if it is a common problem.

I am using Chrome and the castle skin if that helps. <3 Here is a link.

Also, I am having trouble finding my signature/editing it. How do I edit my signature?

Edited by Aloysius Knightly

Twila Wilde-Hextor

Aloysius, I can't help with all of your questions, but I do know how to find and edit your signature.

Click your name at the top of the page (I use Chrome and castle too, so it's on the right on the black bar at the very top) and a menu shows. Select "My Settings". Notice a list of options on the left. One of these is "Signature" and I believe that should help you!

This link should also get you there. <3

Edited by Twila Wilde

Julia Banner

Text size seems to have changed to me as well, Aloysius. Default font seems to be size=3 now.

Whereas size=2 seems to be about as small as the previous size=1.

And size=1 is really really tiny now.

If you increase all your size tags by one your CL should start to look a bit more like what it used to be.

Also, if you happen to have a lot of size tags in your posts, I recommend pasting the code into a word program that has a 'find and replace' tool and using that. It makes the editing a lot quicker.

Edited by Julia Banner

Arianna Wright

Savannah: This was also addressed over in the How do you New VH? thread. For now only very simple colors like color=red work if you put in the name. Weasley is going to look into it later when he has more free time and see if it is something that we can provide in the future <3

Aloysius: The size issue changed on everyone's. I think it is a matter that with the new board they mapped sizes to different size pt amounts than on the old board. All of my size 1s are super duper small and I've been going through and setting them to size 2 and my size 2s to size 3.

Twila Wilde-Hextor

I'm back with a few things. QQ

There are no longer settings (that I can find) for adjusting the default posts per topic page or for the topics per forum page. I am thinking this might just be a feature of the new board but just in case it's something that can be fixed, I'm putting it here.

Also, I have a "ModeratorCP" option. I'm guessing it's a prefect/staff thing that everyone with a "Forum Led By" designation has. However, it doesn't seem to do much of anything. Is this an issue? Is there a function for it that I'm missing?

Araminta Ravensdale

I've been having trouble editing my profile to update the Interests and Credit fields. Whenever I try, I get this error message:

One of the fields you filled in requires values in a specific format, but the value you supplied did not meet this format ('Website URL').

I've even tried erasing everything I have in the fields and saving and it still gives me this message. Am I doing something wrong? D:

Mila, I got this too. You have to go to the website option and take the pre-put-in-there stuff out. At least that worked for me.

Update on "Credentials": Some students seem to have them. Not sure what is happening there but I thought I would let you know. D:

Edit: You already fixed it! Win. :)

So I don't understand the website option thing you're talking about Professor. Therefore I cannot fix my credits and interests...I'd really love to. It's bugging me...on all my characters...help?!?

Professor Bond

So it's Your Name At The Top > My Settings > Scroll to Contact Methods > Website URL. There is probably http:// or something in there and you need to take it out so it lets you save your stuff. That's what I did to make it work.

Edit: This was my first post from a phone and I think it went well so that's good! And you're welcome, Araminta! Glad I could help. :)

Edited by Professor Bond

Araminta Ravensdale

OHHH I SEE <3 You are amazing! Thank you very much!